PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to hire an Accountant?

ENDURO
05-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Maybe my question should have been are Accountants expensive. My business is still small potatoes, but I can't help but feel that I am doing many things wrong when it comes to record keeping. I am also planning to boost my advertising next spring and hopefully get enough work to hire my 1st employee. I would really like a professional to guide me on the many aspects involved with employing someone. Do they usually charge by the hour?
Thanks,
Mark

PROCUT1
05-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Accountant is a must right from the beginning to set you up on the right path while you are still small. Yes they are expensive, but the trouble they will save you in the future far outweighs their initial cost.

DadsLawnCareInc
05-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Get one! Do some research first. Get yourself some good bookkeeping software. (Make sure you use it.) Then Find a Logical, Helpful, Small Business Oriented, and Professional Accountant that will triple check your bookkeeping. If you’re doing most of the work the fees they charge should be low or at least negotiable. If you feel like your getting ripped off, fine another accountant. I have one that checks my bookkeeping skills and one that checks his. That’s Two Accountants and I do my own bookkeeping. Good Luck, T.M. P.S. Is BookKeeping spelled correctly? Looks odd to me.

LawnGuy73
05-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Accountant is a must right from the beginning to set you up on the right path while you are still small. Yes they are expensive, but the trouble they will save you in the future far outweighs their initial cost.

I agree, its stupid not to have one.

AAELI
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Maybe my question should have been are Accountants expensive. My business is still small potatoes, but I can't help but feel that I am doing many things wrong when it comes to record keeping. I am also planning to boost my advertising next spring and hopefully get enough work to hire my 1st employee. I would really like a professional to guide me on the many aspects involved with employing someone. Do they usually charge by the hour?
Thanks,
Mark

Starting out right is the only way. Unless you are willing to take a few accounting courses you should get things set up properly and get out of the shoebox accounting system. There are plenty of basic accounting software programs along with the advice of local accountants. They do charge by the hour in most cases. SBA often offer courses in getting it all set up. I had a great advantange in getting my business all set up right by marrying an accountant 27 years ago..Still married and all balanced out.

2 clowns mowing
05-30-2006, 08:20 AM
yes hire one asap! you don't need the feds after you it's hard enough and they can save you money. keep mileage and all your receipts!!! and yes get insurance it costs me around 1000 a year and it's worth it.

rodfather
05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
plain fact...no matter how small your business is you still need one.

6'7 330
05-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Obtaining an accountant should be of high priority when a business is started, right from the get-go. An accountant is more then a H & R blockoff. No matter what the size, or business structure an accountant is worth his weight in gold.And a good accountant knows how to talk to and what to say to the IRS,if it ever becomes necessary.

RD592
05-30-2006, 11:23 PM
do yall think it is necessary to have book keeping software if someone only has 30 to 60 accounts. I have Microsoft excel and know how to make good spreed sheets that do the calculations, but i find a good old note book and different envelopes with different types of receipts ( gas, tools, equipment, etc.) and a calculator is by far the easiest ways to run a small business. At the end of the year give your info. to an accountant and let him to his work.

Just my 2 cents

RD592
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
The government is less likly to audit you if you hire an accountant rather than just hiring a regular tax person.

AAELI
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
The government is less likly to audit you if you hire an accountant rather than just hiring a regular tax person.

I have had an accountant since startup of this company 25 years ago. It has made the occassional audit bearable but it has not made the IRS less likely to audit.

We have had federal contracts audited by Defense Contract Auditing Agency along with IRS and had no problems. It pays to have someone knowledgeable set up your books in the beginning. Like I said in an ealier post if you plan to stay in this business it would benefit you to have a working knowledge of bookkeeping. Have your books reviewed by an accountant on a regular basis to keep things balanced.

No longer as lean, nor as mean, but always and Forever Proud to be a Marine. Semper Fi to all fellow Marines down and dirty in the grass business.