PDA

View Full Version : double blades

LawnInOrder
05-03-2006, 06:07 PM
ok, so i have a lawn boy gold series mower. I was wondering what the advantage to running two blades is? Is it better for mulching and leave cleanup. I bag all my lawns. Is it safe to run 2 blades? Do you need a longer bolt holding the blades on when running double blades? Thanks LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
comme on guys, i know you know the answers

Splicer
05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Absolutely NO reason to double blade a Lawn Boy. Bad idea...

milsaps118
05-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with Splicer. No need to double up especially if you just bag with it. I double up just to get more distance and spread during discharge, your bottom blades do 99% of the initial cut. If you do it, keep in mind that this will effect your mowing height.

valley boy
05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
I use doubles on my toro recycler , reduces emptying the bag more often account smaller pieces packing better in the bag.

upidstay
05-04-2006, 06:47 AM
I know some guys who have done it on a variety of mowers. Really chops stuff up fine. Makes it easier for bagging or mulching.

ACEMowing
05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Our Honda mowers all have factory double blades stacked on top of each other and they are offset about 2" at the tips. I wish I could figure out a way to stack and offset them on our riders... they do a great job. Our Walker 42" mulching deck has stacked blades in a big X pattern and they do good but not as good as the offset Honda's (or the snapper ninja blade which is a single blade with offset cutting edges). I have the pics of the blade setups on our site at: http://acemowing.com/mulching.htm
They all make a huge difference when mulching... the Honda does seem to dice it finer when bagging as well. You reall notice it when bagging leaves with the Honda HRX mower... it hold 3 times the leaves compared to the single blade baggers.

FrankenScagMachines
05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
I used to have a Toro 21" mower (old 3 speed bagger, great mower) that I fitted a Lawn Boy 2 cycle engine onto it... great machine, best of both worlds! The Lawn Boy had the old style large spindle shaft with just a large nut to hold the blade onto it, with a little adapter plate that wedged onto the spindle. I took a Gator and Hi-Lift blade from a 60" rider and welded them together and to the adapter haha... Just one of those blades is a lot of weight for a small Lawn Boy engine, but to run two of them, well it takes a lot of torque! The motor would pull it, and the heavy mower, but it slowed the motor down too much... Where am I going with this? I don't know LOL.... I guess a small 5hp motor may not have the guts to pull doubles.. other than that i've never seen a need to run doubles on a 21".... but then I've never seen a need to use a 21" LOL... that was just a toy somethin to fool around with...

LawnInOrder
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Our Honda mowers all have factory double blades stacked on top of each other and they are offset about 2" at the tips. I wish I could figure out a way to stack and offset them on our riders... they do a great job. Our Walker 42" mulching deck has stacked blades in a big X pattern and they do good but not as good as the offset Honda's (or the snapper ninja blade which is a single blade with offset cutting edges). I have the pics of the blade setups on our site at: http://acemowing.com/mulching.htm
They all make a huge difference when mulching... the Honda does seem to dice it finer when bagging as well. You reall notice it when bagging leaves with the Honda HRX mower... it hold 3 times the leaves compared to the single blade baggers.
How many hp is your honda. I think my is a 5 hp honda. Does it damage your eninge running double blades and do i need to use a longer bolt to hold the blades on? LawnInOrder