PDA

View Full Version : New Echo Pb413h Run Like S*!@!

milsaps118
05-03-2006, 06:49 PM
I had just received my new Echo 413. I used the oil that Echo supplied, mixed in a 1.gal can as instructed and filled it up. It took about 15 pulls before it fired (even after priming) and ran fine for about the first two residentials I did. Now it doesn't't want to start, even after it's warm, and I still have to choke it all the time. When it does start on choke I'll flip it off and it will run for about 30 seconds sputter out and die. when I manage to keep it running it runs like a cold blooded BiT*H. Did I just get a lemon or is this common with this model? I've got a PB46 with a ton of Hrs on it and it fires on the first pull every time, but that takes a while for it to run top speed until its warm. Any suggestions???????

mcwlandscaping
05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
carb adjustment?? maybe, where did you get it, take it back

LawnBrother
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Empty your tank and refill using a different brand of 2 cycle oil and see how it runs for a day. It sounds like you either need a carb adjustment(running too rich) or you may have gotten a bad batch of oil or some from an old batch. If the oil has exceeded it's shelf life, the viscosity may increase significantly, causing poor running and hard starting. If it runs fine on a different oil, then you have some bad oil from Echo. Call Echo and tell them your situation. If they say nothing is wrong with your oil, or if it still runs crappy on the different oil, take it back to the dealer for a check up. Good luck!

Oldtimer
05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Ask_a_Mechanic/Ask_A_Mechanic_April_7_2006.S209.A10246.html

Ask A Mechanic: April 7, 2006
Auto service and maintenance advice from TCC’s resident gearhead.
by Bob Weber (2006-04-10)

Q--What is the shelf life of motor oil, two-cycle engine oil, antifreeze and windshield washer fluid?

A--Unopened products will certainly fare better than opened ones. If it has never been opened, antifreeze will hold up for years, although there may be some settling out of some compounds in the mixture so shake it up before using. Motor oil and two-cycle oil will last almost indefinitely

ThirdDay
05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I had just received my new Echo 413. I used the oil that Echo supplied, mixed in a 1.gal can as instructed and filled it up. It took about 15 pulls before it fired (even after priming) and ran fine for about the first two residentials I did. Now it doesn't't want to start, even after it's warm, and I still have to choke it all the time. When it does start on choke I'll flip it off and it will run for about 30 seconds sputter out and die. when I manage to keep it running it runs like a cold blooded BiT*H. Did I just get a lemon or is this common with this model? I've got a PB46 with a ton of Hrs on it and it fires on the first pull every time, but that takes a while for it to run top speed until its warm. Any suggestions???????

What kind of gas did you use?? Echo and all of the other hand held manufacturers say that you must run at least 89 octane gas in these newer machines. ALL hand held companies require this now.

If better gas doesn't do the trick, take it back to your dealer for an adjustment. We use all Echo equipment and have little to no trouble with any of our units.

Good luck!

milsaps118
05-03-2006, 11:36 PM
I used regular unleaded 87 octane, I'll try the 89 hope this solves it, would synthetic help??

Andyshine77
05-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Echo power blend is one of the better 2 cycle oils you can buy, and it has a very long shelf life. The oil is not the problem. It sounds like your carb needs to be adjusted. Try turning your high speed needle counterclockwise 1/8 to 1/4 of a full turn. Your PB46 is running perfect, all 2 cycle engines need time to warm up before they have proper combustion.:)

lawnboy dan
05-04-2006, 08:13 AM
i agree echo oil is very good stuff. must be a bad carb.

sgallaher
05-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Is it brand new? I bought one last year, brand new and it ran okay for the first few time. Then it would not start at all. I took it back and they gave me another one it it has run great since. I also use the Echo power blend mix oil and have never had any problems with it in Echo or other brand equipment.

:usflag:

J&R Landscaping
05-04-2006, 08:41 AM
The echo oil is one of the best 2 stroke oils on the market. Did you purchase the blower from your dealer or off of ebay or the internet? Echo dealer policy mandates the the product must be test run in front of the customer before the unit is delivered. The dealer is also supposed to expain starting, operation, fuel/oil requirements and all that stuff. If the dealer did not do this, take it back and see if he can help you out.
I do recomend running high test in all equipment regardless! The way the 2 strokes and some 4 strokes are running lean, it helps haveing the extra kick! Good Luck!

milsaps118
05-04-2006, 12:19 PM
The echo oil is one of the best 2 stroke oils on the market. Did you purchase the blower from your dealer or off of ebay or the internet? Echo dealer policy mandates the the product must be test run in front of the customer before the unit is delivered. The dealer is also supposed to expain starting, operation, fuel/oil requirements and all that stuff. If the dealer did not do this, take it back and see if he can help you out.
I do recomend running high test in all equipment regardless! The way the 2 strokes and some 4 strokes are running lean, it helps haveing the extra kick! Good Luck!

I did buy it off ebay and it was guaranteed to be NEW in the box, which it was, box was unopened and I had to assemble the tube. Came with all the Echo paper work, warranty, manual,etc...

chimmygew
05-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Take it to a dealer. They will do the warranty repair on it. It is a carb problem. I had the same thing happen to me.

Charles
05-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I used regular unleaded 87 octane, I'll try the 89 hope this solves it, would synthetic help??

I agree that 87 octane shortens the life dramacticly of Echo equipment. At least that has been my experience.

geogunn
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I did buy it off ebay....

hmmm...I can see this blower sitting on the local dealers "to be repaired" bench a long time.

GEO

ed2hess
05-04-2006, 09:39 PM
PB413H....is that an Echo??? Maybe doesn't matter but I don't see it in Echo web page.

milsaps118
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
PB413H....is that an Echo??? Maybe doesn't matter but I don't see it in Echo web page.
Yeah it's a ECHO PB-413H with a hip mounted throttle.

Oldtimer
05-04-2006, 10:36 PM
It's a Home Depot item.

Oldtimer

J&R Landscaping
05-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Its a new model...its replacing the 403. I agree with Geo, it will be sitting at the dealers "bought it off ebay" bench for a while. Hope you are in no rush to get it back! lol!!!

ThirdDay
05-05-2006, 10:23 PM
It's a Home Depot item.

Oldtimer

It's available at the dealer level as well. It's a very decent blower for the money if you only have light stuff to do.

29 Palms Property Management
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
I got my 413H from an Echo dealer. It replaced the 403 a few months ago. I have not had one problem with mine. I use only Echo Blend oil and 89 fuel. I think it's a great machine for the money. Works great for basic blowing clippings after mowing, and I've used it for about a dozen or so spring leaf cleanups. Light cleanups of course, not soaking wet heavy leaves. I really like it. No problems at all, starts on the second pull when cold, first when warm and it was in my budget.

milsaps118
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Just an update on my PB413. As someone replied earlier in this post that newer echo equipment require 89 octane or more I found this to be true. I've alway had older (4-5yrs) echo blowers and trimmers that ran fine on 87. I actually ran 92 on this PB413 and it solved my problems. I figured I'd run 1 tank of 92 to clean it out then I'll switch to 89 for cost differences. Thanks everyone who replied with feed back!

ed2hess
05-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Just an update on my PB413. As someone replied earlier in this post that newer echo equipment require 89 octane or more I found this to be true. I've alway had older (4-5yrs) echo blowers and trimmers that ran fine on 87. I actually ran 92 on this PB413 and it solved my problems. I figured I'd run 1 tank of 92 to clean it out then I'll switch to 89 for cost differences. Thanks everyone who replied with feed back!
Good luck with this unit, I never heard of a unit that simply would not run on 87, but I learn something new on here every day.

milsaps118
05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Good luck with this unit, I never heard of a unit that simply would not run on 87, but I learn something new on here every day.

Ed2Hess, I was the same way to, when I ran 87 in this thing it would just bog and act like it was always running cold. No throttle response what so ever. But when I ran 92 in it, I hit the throttle and it's right there every time. I assume it should run the same once I run 89, I'll find out tomorrow.

ed2hess
05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I think the bottom line is that this unit was set too lean from the factory. This could mean that long term as the unit wears it may not run good at all.

Runner
05-11-2006, 11:06 PM
I was just going to say....It sounds like the carb is just simply set too lean on the low end. These HAVE to be set up when they come out of the box, and the settings soon change a bit afyter they're broke in. Move the low end screw counterclockwise about an eighth to a quarter of a turn (just for the meantime for the sake of it starting easier and idling. Start the machine and let it warm up a bit. rev it a little (slowly and easily) and then let it idle. Slowly turn the low end screw in until the motor starts to bog or cut out a bit. From there, turn the screw out 1/2 a turn. Now, go full throttle and do the same with the high end screw. REMEMBER: The machines reaction is delayed a bit ( like a few seconds), so when you are turning the screws inward, and you get that cuttin out, it is from where the screw was a second or so before that.

ThirdDay
05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I think the bottom line is that this unit was set too lean from the factory. This could mean that long term as the unit wears it may not run good at all.

That's why you buy equipment from a local dealer. Mine checks out all of my equipment to make sure that it is running properly before I leave his shop.

89 octane does make a huge difference in the new EPA engines!

milsaps118
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
An UPDATE on my ECHO PB413 for all of you who replied to the original thread. I took some advise from you guys who said run 89 octane in it, well I one-upped you guys and ran 92 in it. It ran killer with that first tank. I switched to 89 to save a little $$ and it ran good for about the next two tanks then started going back to worse, to the point where it wouldn't't stay running. Drained the tank put 92 back in it, nothing...thing wouldn't even fire, I thought I burned it up. Took it to the dealer today, guess what I find out? The PB413 is a California ONLY item because of emissions. To answer ED2HESS's reason why he couldn't find it on ECHO's site is because you have to look under PB403 to find it. ECHO identifies its CA ONLY items with a "1" in the model #'s ie. HC-151 C.A.R.B.(hedge trimmers) PB-413 C.A.R.B.. C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resource Board. So for those of you who are looking to buy ECHO products keep this in mind. My blower will be at the dealer till Friday, when I get it back I'll update you guys and let you know if it will ever work right.

ThirdDay
06-05-2006, 11:26 PM
The dealers in my area are selling the PB-413's and I'm not in California.

I think that you were fed a line of BS.

Either way, the blower should run just fine. Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

S man
06-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I have a pb 403 which is that blower's succesor and has been in my service for a year so far. When I bought it I had some carb trouble but it eventually worked out and now runs great and starts on the third or forth pull everytime. I like it but am ready when it acts up to buy a redmax eb7001 that I wanted from the beginning. But I'm happy with the echo.

S man
06-05-2006, 11:44 PM
speaking of the carb models, don't buy those! They probably have been f...ed with to get better emissions and stuff thereby cutting down the performance of the product. My redmax trimmer was acting like crap the other day. So I pulled the spark arrestor out and it ran great!

Envy Lawn Service
06-06-2006, 02:33 AM
I'm with Ed,

I find that Echo's are set too lean from the factory to help with emissions. This is in reference to the non-california models. I find that as they age, they get where they won't run and the needed corrections are beyond the 'capped' limitations of the adjustment screws. Thank you EPA.

Anyways, I popped mine of and set the screws where they needed to be. Geez, I can't imagine the california models. I'm not surprised at all by this.

Also, just so you know, I did the same thing when I got an echo. I used the oil that came with it. NONE of my 2 cycle stuff made it through a tank of that fuel. Everything I put that mix in went down on me and wouldn't start.

I drained everything, s_canned all of that mix, replaced my fouled plugs and went back to my usual mix oil. Problem solved. No more Echo oil for me.

J&R Landscaping
06-06-2006, 08:16 PM
The dealers in my area are selling the PB-413's and I'm not in California.

I think that you were fed a line of BS.

Either way, the blower should run just fine. Please let us know what the dealer finds out.
My deal has the PB 413 in stock as well as the new pb 755.
I aggree with thirdday!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2006, 01:00 AM
You can buy California models ANYWHERE.

But only the California models can be sold IN California.

That's how that works.

milsaps118
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
You can buy California models ANYWHERE.

But only the California models can be sold IN California.

That's how that works.

ELS- I contacted Echo and just received an email back from them. They said that the C.A.R.B. models are sold throughout the US and can be bought anywhere. They are specifically designed for CA for emissions. They also said that they discontinued the PB-403 and that the PB-413 is its successor. My blower is still at the dealer, when I get it back I'll let everyone know what happened to it.

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
ELS- I contacted Echo and just received an email back from them. They said that the C.A.R.B. models are sold throughout the US and can be bought anywhere. They are specifically designed for CA for emissions. They also said that they discontinued the PB-403 and that the PB-413 is its successor. My blower is still at the dealer, when I get it back I'll let everyone know what happened to it.

Yup, like I said, you can buy them anywhere....

But those models are all you can buy in Cali....

Cali has much stiffer emissions guidelines, so the only available backpack models there are the PB-261L, PB-411, PB-413, & PB-461LN.

The rest of us can buy any model we want, including those.