PDA

View Full Version : Got overpaid LOL

topsites
05-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I am putting this here for those who might feel tempted, as I am sure the title indicates...

What happened is I gave the customer one bill, then a week or so later another, but the second bill was a running or grand total (meaning it included the first bill) but I guess I didn't clarify this enough because the check was for the total of the two, so I got paid like for the grand total and then again for the total of the first. For argument's sake, say the total was for three cuts at 30 dollars each, the first bill was for two cuts at 60 then the third bill was for 90 (which is all 3 cuts and includes the 60) but I got paid 150 LOL (well it is kinda funny, I really didn't mean to do it).

Great as this may seem (well it is), I credit the customer's account for the overage, then deposit the check without further ado. Being how they're regulars, it will be a few weeks before the overage is worked off but they won't see another bill for close to a month heheh...

I am only saying this because I learned to never take advantage of a situation just because I can, always be honest and even if the customer makes a mistake, do not take them for a ride even if I know they would never find out, because it's bad juju. It's another way of saying watch their backdoor and don't step through it even if they accidentally leave themselves wide open.

It always comes back on you, good or bad, so do good and then it's never a problem.

sheshovel
05-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I got overpaid instead of 1500.00 I GOT A CHECK FOR 15000.00 .It was written out Fifteen Thousand longhand too.So it was a perfectly cashable check.
But I noticed it at lunch and took it right back to the guy and we got a big laugh out of it.His face turned all red when I showed it to him though and he said"God please don't mention this to my wife!"
I said"How much you gonna pay me to keep my mouth shut!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LoL we laughed!

Splicer
05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
bobby isn't going to like this:nono: :laugh:

sheshovel
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
That's just too DARN BAD!He's just going to have to live with it!

lwcmattlifter
05-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I got paid twice for a big install once by the Mr and once by the Mrs. I think they copied the invoice, forgot about it and later sent the checks. I'm pretty sure the checks showed up within two days of each other. They were a little embarrassed and the Mrs. was kinda angry at her husband when I called to say they sent two checks.

Soupy
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Claim it as a tip and move on :rolleyes: Just joking, I always enter the checks as they come in and if it is for to much it will automatically apply toward next invoice. I never look at the amount do, but i'm sure if I got such an overpayment as sheshovel then I would notice.

chriscraft
05-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Be honest, We were overpaid by a big comercial acct, they dbl paid us and we told them quick. This year they contracted us for 150 homes to landscape. Honesty does pay sometimes :-)

mike lane lawn care
05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
i got over paid by a client, i charged $60 for a quick cleanup, he comes out and hands me $75 cash, i say you gave me too much, i only charged $60. he says "wrong, you under priced the work, next time estimate properly". i was stunned at first, as this new client had just purposly given me more money than i would have charged him. i said thank you and left. this looks like it could be a good season, he wil be getting priority over my other clients.

P.S. i really didn't under bid the property, it was a $60 job.

cessnasovereign
05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
i got over paid by a client, i charged $60 for a quick cleanup, he comes out and hands me $75 cash, i say you gave me too much, i only charged $60. he says "wrong, you under priced the work, next time estimate properly". i was stunned at first, as this new client had just purposly given me more money than i would have charged him. i said thank you and left. this looks like it could be a good season, he wil be getting priority over my other clients.

P.S. i really didn't under bid the property, it was a $60 job.

I love when that happens. I offered $25 for a yard weekly cutting, like 2K sq ft, tiny! And she said "oh no, $40." :)

barefootlawns
05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
i have gotten that a few times as well mike lane but what i would do is call them let them know of the situation and if they want you to add it to the overages or send them $60 back

SWD
05-03-2006, 11:36 PM
I have been over paid a time or two.
ALWAYS, I contacted the customer to alert them to the error.
ALWAYS, it ended up with much, much more work.
Honesty, integrity and professionalism is what my company is known for.
This is why I'm six weeks behind right now.

topsites
05-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I got overpaid instead of 1500.00 I GOT A CHECK FOR 15000.00 .It was written out Fifteen Thousand longhand too.So it was a perfectly cashable check.
But I noticed it at lunch and took it right back to the guy and we got a big laugh out of it.His face turned all red when I showed it to him though and he said"God please don't mention this to my wife!"
I said"How much you gonna pay me to keep my mouth shut!":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LoL we laughed!

well now for that much I would've ran back to the customer, too.

topsites
05-04-2006, 12:12 AM
I love when that happens. I offered $25 for a yard weekly cutting, like 2K sq ft, tiny! And she said "oh no, $40." :)

yeah I get a few of those, you can put that in your pocket for sure!
and yes, it does help their 'priority' with me too, funny how that works.

J&R Landscaping
05-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I've been paid by both the Mr and the Mrs a few times. I accept the money (since it was for mowing, not a one time landscape job) and credit the customers account. Just my way of doing business! I try to be as honest as possible and it works most of the time!

mamagreg
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm new to the business. I did a small job about two weeks ago. I quoted the lady $40. I was done with the job and she paid me cash. I didnt count the money till I was about a mile down the road. She had overpaid me by just $5, but I still called her anyway and informed her. She said that she was aware of this and thought that I deserved a little tip. At least I was honest about the overpayment towards her.

KCLandscape
05-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Happened last year, but we had a three phase project and had finished 2/3 of it. They liked the work so much they said keep it .

That is what customer service is all about. And now we are on phase 5

CHACHACHA____CHING

Dont get me wrong, I am not taking advantage. They were very satisified and it is and will continue to be a challenging project. There are 12 phases...
Treat them right and thay will return the favor!

Soupy
05-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm new to the business. I did a small job about two weeks ago. I quoted the lady $40. I was done with the job and she paid me cash. I didnt count the money till I was about a mile down the road. She had overpaid me by just $5, but I still called her anyway and informed her. She said that she was aware of this and thought that I deserved a little tip. At least I was honest about the overpayment towards her.

This reminded me of a situation years ago. An old lady living in a duplex next to one of my customers comes out and ask if I would trim her lawn. I was in a good mood so I said yea I'll do it for $10. She tried to hand me a $100 bill. I said this is to much she looks at me as says oh you need more and then handed me 2 $50 bills. I said no you are over paying me, so I look at the wad in her hand and said you take this money back and I'll take that $10 bill.

So I got to thinking I always see food being delivered there and can only imagine what these guys are walking away with so I told my customer about it and she said she would call somebody to check it out. The next week the house had a condemned sticker on it.