PDA

View Full Version : seeding with a power rake

JJLandscapes
05-03-2006, 10:33 PM
im doing a medium size seeding at a friends house and wondering can i break up the soil with a power rake? i remember reading some posts about this but i feel the power rake wont break up the soil deep enough as a tiller would do it...

i have a power rake but would have to rent a tiller and dont want to if i dont have to

chriscraft
05-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Dethatching is great to loosen up the soil for good seed to soil contact. We do it sometimes before doing a renovation. Then we aerate 1-4 times seed fertilize and roll. We did 3 of them this week dethatching 1st. Also cut the lawn very short b4 you power rake it

JJLandscapes
05-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Dethatching is great to loosen up the soil for good seed to soil contact. We do it sometimes before doing a renovation. Then we aerate 1-4 times seed fertilize and roll. We did 3 of them this week dethatching 1st. Also cut the lawn very short b4 you power rake it

thers no lawn just a weed infested area of dirt i already sprayed the area with round up and want to try to seed this weekend (7 days later) should i take out the weeds or just power rake the entire area

Runner
05-04-2006, 05:21 AM
If there is that much weed in the area, yes. Dethatch it, rake out the old slag and you are ready for seed. Now, there are a few factors to consider, depending on what type of dethatcher you have. If you have the knife type, you MAY want to go ever the weeds twice - as the spacing of the knives will limit how much material you pull up. If you have the spring tine type, once should do it. With the knife type, then put your seed down and go over it two more times (opposite directions) then for best results, work the seed into the grooves with the backside of a leaf rake. With the tine type, just go over it again lightly after the seed is down and leave it. Now, pleasenote, with both types of dethatchers, (more so with the spring tine type), you are going to want to pay special close attention to the outside edge areas. The reason being, is that when you turn the machine around, or if you stop at the end (or even slow down in some cases), the machine will kick the seed away from that area. So, many times it is good to just do the outside perimeter last to ensure that you have adequate seed coverage around those areas. Good luck with it.