PDA

View Full Version : Getting the shaft on mulch

rick2752
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Its kinda sad I just figured out that I have been getting screwed and so have my customers on my mulch. What do your suppliers load you with? What do they consider a full yard? I never really questioned it and just trusted I was getting a full yard, I mean they were stuffing the bobcat bucket heaping full. I did a little research on bobcats buckets and the only bucket that holds close to a yard it the light duty bucket that is 66" wide. Thats much bigger than the width of the bobcat, it really looks oversized. I HATE when someone gets over on me!!!

lwcmattlifter
05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
The loaders that fill my trucks have 4 and 6 yrd buckets. I have only been shorted once or twice but usually I get overfilled so it's ok. I have a good relationship with the company I get mulch from so that may help.

copeblk
05-03-2006, 10:25 PM
you really didn't know about how much a yard consists of? Do you purchase other materials like this or just mulch? we have a tractor trailer load of mulch delivered to our shop. and we buy our stone by weight. we never get shorted. everything by weight.

gene gls
05-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Its kinda sad I just figured out that I have been getting screwed and so have my customers on my mulch. What do your suppliers load you with? What do they consider a full yard? I never really questioned it and just trusted I was getting a full yard, I mean they were stuffing the bobcat bucket heaping full. I did a little research on bobcats buckets and the only bucket that holds close to a yard it the light duty bucket that is 66" wide. Thats much bigger than the width of the bobcat, it really looks oversized. I HATE when someone gets over on me!!!

Ask your supplier what you are paying for, a bucket or a yard. I have a supplier that sells by the bucket, 3/4 yard.

rick2752
05-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Regardless of how this post sounds, Im really not an idiot. I am usually pretty good about stuff like this. I had a friend who has been with this supplier for a long time and he gets really good plant prices so he got me his price of 19 a yard. Retail is around 26 a yard. Around here from what I could find it was a pretty decent price and it is nice mulch. I dont do enough to justify storing a trailer load yet. I was told that their bucket was a yard and they really fill it up so I just took it in stride without measuring their bucket. I have always been around gravel so I know weight but never really sat down and figured out yardage in a bobcat bucket until tonight. I have probably made more money thinking I was spreading more yardage but it still burns me up when I miss something so basic.

Soupy
05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Regardless of how this post sounds, Im really not an idiot. I am usually pretty good about stuff like this. I had a friend who has been with this supplier for a long time and he gets really good plant prices so he got me his price of 19 a yard. Retail is around 26 a yard. Around here from what I could find it was a pretty decent price and it is nice mulch. I dont do enough to justify storing a trailer load yet. I was told that their bucket was a yard and they really fill it up so I just took it in stride without measuring their bucket. I have always been around gravel so I know weight but never really sat down and figured out yardage in a bobcat bucket until tonight. I have probably made more money thinking I was spreading more yardage but it still burns me up when I miss something so basic.

So how are you figuring the amount needed per job? Have you ran out of mulch without finishing a job? I'm sure those buckets are measured by what they hold to the top while flush, just like a measuring cup. If you don't scrape a 1/2 cup sugar then you are getting more then a 1/2 cup :)

rick2752
05-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I have gotten away with rough estimates on yardage, 4 or 5 yds and I will bill you with whichever. I know I am getting more than bobcats bucket estimate on yardage, but I still think I'm no where near a full yard. Bobcats website labels each bucket with a cubic feet number and says a heaping bucket is this much. I am getting much better than heaping but when the bucket only holds like 14 cubic feet "heaping" I am sure i'm not getting another 13 cubic feet more than their bucket is rated.

sheshovel
05-04-2006, 12:36 AM
A yard of material is 27cu feet

Travel'n Trees
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Don't come to Lee's Summit, Mo. because they are all doing it here!

Tharrell
05-04-2006, 06:15 AM
I get mine from the local sawmill and it's sold by the bucket. It's a huge Cat Loader for $15 single, $30 for double. One bucket fills my 6 x 12 trailer.

General Landscaping
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Know the yardage on your trailer.

Walk in..... "I have a XX yard trailer that I want filled with ???"

topsites
05-04-2006, 08:26 AM
I have gotten away with rough estimates on yardage, 4 or 5 yds and I will bill you with whichever. I know I am getting more than bobcats bucket estimate on yardage, but I still think I'm no where near a full yard. Bobcats website labels each bucket with a cubic feet number and says a heaping bucket is this much. I am getting much better than heaping but when the bucket only holds like 14 cubic feet "heaping" I am sure i'm not getting another 13 cubic feet more than their bucket is rated.

How many wheelbarrows can you load out of one of their yards, and how many cubic feet does your barrow hold?
Still it's not accurate, but lastly, how far in square feet can you spread one of these yards?

DynaMow
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
How many wheelbarrows can you load out of one of their yards, and how many cubic feet does your barrow hold?
Still it's not accurate, but lastly, how far in square feet can you spread one of these yards?
WOW post #3421 and a post that is straight forward, clear, concise, and very insightful.