PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Mulch Kit

bigjeeping
05-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Guys im so aggravatted... I have a brand new Lazer HP 50"/27hp with the mulching kit on it and it's leaving my lawns looking like crap. I HAVE TO DOUBLE CUT every lawn to make them look decent.

There's too much clumping left on the lawn. The triton deck is holding up good, there's nothing sticking inside, but I've got clumps of grass everywhere.

Average-length lawns cut nice, but if the lawn is overgrown even a little I have to double cut and still have the blower break up some clumps here and there.......... And on some lawns I've got stringers all over the place, I have to double cut just to get all the blades of grass level!

SO MY QUESTION IS:

Would it be better for me to screw the mulch kit and just discharge? Will I get a better cut? Do you guys take off your discharge chute and just let 'em spray?

help :cry:

mike lane lawn care
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
i do both, wet overgrown grass gets the side discharge, anything else gets mulched

dtelawncare
05-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a 52" with only 23 hp lazer Z. I put the mulching blades on, without the kit. It does great. Very few times have I had to go back over anything. that 27hp should be shreading everything in its path with only a 50" deck. Try the mulching blades without the kit. It is working great for me.

lawnprosteveo
05-03-2006, 11:55 PM
That is surprising to me...I put a mulch kit on my Toro 52 ztr with a 19hp kawasaki....it is doing a great job...the lawns look like theyve been bagged.:confused:

out till dark
05-04-2006, 06:30 AM
mulching spring growth on cool season turf is too much work.

put the kit back on in mid-june through august

naturescape
05-04-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm in MI too. I LOVE my ExM mulch kit, but ONLY through the months October through to early April clean-ups. After that, in this area, you HAVE to remove it. I have tried so many times to make it work, even in dry summer, and it doesn't then. You always have wet turf in summer and you can't run it. If the turf is wet in Fall tho, no problem.

You'll be glad you have the kit, just remember in MI it only works a couple months a year.

Billz
05-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I use mine from mid-June to the end of October here every year. Works like crap in wet spring growth, but great in the summer months. If the lawns are wet still, I double cut and they look great. I have actually picked up alot of customer's neighbors with the double cuts. We stripe, and crisscross on the 2nd pass 1/2 inch higher than the first cut.

BCSteel
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Make sure that your deck is properly levelled. I have found that a level deck is better for mulching that a slightly tipped forward deck. Seems to eliminate stringers, leave a table top finish and eliminate the need to blow away extra clippings.

bigjeeping
05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Just took the mulch kit off and put the standard blades back on.... we'll see how this week goes without it!

mcwlandscaping
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Discharge with the mulch blades, it works better than standards i think.

naturescape
05-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Discharge with the mulch blades, it works better than standards i think.

NO WAY, trust me, I've tried it. Use standard lift blades, or doubles.

FyrFyt
07-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Any updates on the results?

FyrFyt
07-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Any update on the mulch deck?