PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to start

FrankMcG
05-04-2006, 01:16 AM
I've been reading through this website for about a week now ever since putting in a bid to do the cutting at my full-time employer. New car dealer in Philadelphia. I think it's looking like a long shot but it has started me seriously thinking about trying to pick up residential customers in my neighborhood to supplement my regular income. Getting the bid at work would ensure me moving further with this.
If done by the end of this month, is it too late to be handing out flyers, does everybody who wants their lawn cut already have someone? Will they try the new guy on the block?
I would be buying all new equipment, walk behind mower, trimmer and blower and starting small and going from there.
For all of those who are doing this part-time, thoughts and tips would be welcome. Are you guys/gals insured right away?
I would like to do it as a legit business, licenses as needed, insurance but would not take that step until I had enough paying customers or got the work bid. Did everyone else start the same way?

Thanks Frank

Lynden-Jeff
05-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Hi,

I don't think its to late to start. I will be just starting mid this month. In ontario here there is still june july august and september. More then enough time for people to decide they don't like there current LCO.

Cheers!

Jeff

grass disaster
05-04-2006, 02:57 AM
the only people that don't think it's too late are the people that haven't started yet.

i think it's too late to try and run anything successful

HDALLC
05-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Plain an Simple no matter what people say It Is Never Too Late

eyes&earsopen
05-04-2006, 03:16 AM
I agree with grass disaster - it is a little late. But I started way later last summer and made a decent go at it. However, a lot of things fell in place for me and that allowed me to experience a somewhat level of success.

Maybe you can do some work for family or a good friend's family, and then exposure and word of mouth can bring in some more work. Although, you also would be leaving yourself open to a whole lot of potential problems with those types of customers. It can get you started though.

At any rate, you can still get started but you might have to be realistic with your expectations. Depending on how hard you want to work maybe you could get by this year with a smaller setup, and hold on to some of your money until next year. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it.

willretire@40
05-04-2006, 09:53 AM
It is not to late to start a business. Alot of people are going to start cutting their own grass until it gets hot then they will be looking for someone to cut it for them. Plus i dont think it is to late up there in Philly.

FrankMcG
05-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the input folks, I'm still sitting on the fence with this one but will be making a decision real soon.
I'd be happy if I had the basic equipment payed for by the end of the season.

FM

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the input folks, I'm still sitting on the fence with this one but will be making a decision real soon.
I'd be happy if I had the basic equipment payed for by the end of the season.

FM

I have some bad news, not to stop you but why not work your current job for another year while you save enough money to pay for said equipment cash when you can afford it? It is a bad business move to lease or buy financed equipment for a start-up operation, save your money then buy it outright, if it takes 3-4 years longer you will thank yourself for having done it the hard way. Well, I did, and I tell you in my first year I wouldn't have been able to make the first payment, so to speak.