PDA

View Full Version : 4 on suspended list

bobbygedd
05-04-2006, 07:23 AM
well, i have 4 late payers. fees were due in by 5/1/06, and, as of 5/3/06, four people havn't paid. they are being skipped this week. these are all new clients. in order to re-activate, they will need to send payment due + $10 late fee. no exceptions. and no discounts for missing this weeks mowing. i can't stand a late payer

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 07:54 AM
So when they pay, and you show up the following week and the grass is twice as tall, will they be charged a double mowing fee.... for the aggravation and extra time of having to deal with high thick messy grass???

bobbygedd
05-04-2006, 07:57 AM
major, they are on a seasonal billing arrangement, they pay "per season" not "per mow". so, yes, the additional work is paid for. btw, i see you're up unusually early...or, are you just getting home?

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Of course i know they are on a "seasonal mow"... however, I think it is absurd to show up a week or maybe two later after they pay, and still cut it that week for your usual normal $30 fee. That sounds like a lot of fun dealing with that springlike growth that hasn't been touched in weeks for $30. Sounds to me at that point, you'll be doing extra work, cause if you would have been cutting each week, it would have been A LOT easier. Might want to rethink things. :dizzy:
As for my earliness, a friend of mine died and I couldn't sleep... but thanks for your interest.

garth1967
05-04-2006, 08:48 AM
well, i have 4 late payers. fees were due in by 5/1/06, and, as of 5/3/06, four people havn't paid. they are being skipped this week. these are all new clients. in order to re-activate, they will need to send payment due + $10 late fee. no exceptions. and no discounts for missing this weeks mowing. i can't stand a late payer

its got me buggered why people will give you **** about this .if anybody was to do anything different they would be left with a headache and a bill larger than what your talking about..............go figure

slebeau20
05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Bobby you seem like a real pain in *!@ to deal with.

OMG
05-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Bobby, you'd be in the soup line down here with those policies.

In fact, you'd be in the mental hospital if you expect anyone to prepay down here.

Mickhippy
05-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Of course i know they are on a "seasonal mow"... however, I think it is absurd to show up a week or maybe two later after they pay, and still cut it that week for your usual normal $30 fee. That sounds like a lot of fun dealing with that springlike growth that hasn't been touched in weeks for $30. Sounds to me at that point, you'll be doing extra work, cause if you would have been cutting each week, it would have been A LOT easier. Might want to rethink things. :dizzy:

Im sure Bob will charge for the week/s he didnt cut!

Would that be correct Bob?

DEEJ
05-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Bobby says they pay "per season". Je will not cut this week, so he is "banking" some of the seasonal money. Next week he will have longer grass to deal with and may have to spend a little extra time. The extra time next week will be more than covered by the banked time from this week. It won't take him twice as long to cut next week. Lesson learned by the customer, and overall Bobby wins money-wise.

Team-Green L&L
05-04-2006, 10:56 AM
You are competing against a world of FBNr's who would love to get a good property next year. Keep that in mind when you aggravate your customer too much. I think your skipping the lawn is only a good idea if you give the late payers a call and ask them if "they have recieved their invoice" or something like that. Always give the customer the benifit of the doubt that it was simply over-looked due to being a new bill.

FrankenScagMachines
05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Bobby, I send out all monthly paying accounts' bills on the 1st of each month, they are due by the 15th. (so I just sent out the bills for April's work the other day)
Here I copied the late payment details directly from one of my bills:

"Payment is due by the 15th of each month. A late fee of $20 will be applied if payment is not received by the 15th. Service will be halted until paid if payment is not received by the 30th of the month."

Raise your late fees, that would help slow them down. Let them know that late payment is a serious issue and won't be tolerated. In our business (as in any) late payment creates a very big risk for us to continue working not knowing if we're going to get paid for it or not.

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Bobby says they pay "per season". Je will not cut this week, so he is "banking" some of the seasonal money. Next week he will have longer grass to deal with and may have to spend a little extra time. The extra time next week will be more than covered by the banked time from this week. It won't take him twice as long to cut next week. Lesson learned by the customer, and overall Bobby wins money-wise.
Sorry but I don't agree. You seem to be banking on these people paying in one week, so he can get back there quick. What happens if it takes them 2 or 3 more additional weeks to pay? Then that lawn has become a real field.
If EOW customers are so great, then how come no one wants to do EOW? I'll tell you why, because grass in the spring need to be cut every 5 or 7 days... he will be dealing with a headache with this grass... he aint making out that's for sure.

bobbygedd
05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
correct! each cut is figured at $30 per. i skip this week, they pay thier fee + late charge, next visit is realisticly $60 + the $10 late fee.

bobbygedd
05-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry but I don't agree. You seem to be banking on these people paying in one week, so he can get back there quick. What happens if it takes them 2 or 3 more additional weeks to pay? Then that lawn has become a real field.
If EOW customers are so great, then how come no one wants to do EOW? I'll tell you why, because grass in the spring need to be cut every 5 or 7 days... he will be dealing with a headache with this grass... he aint making out that's for sure.
pay a-tten-tion...........it's $30 per week, wether i'm there, or not. if i skip 3 weeks, the next mow is $120. get it? probly not

bobbygedd
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
You are competing against a world of FBNr's who would love to get a good property next year. Keep that in mind when you aggravate your customer too much. I think your skipping the lawn is only a good idea if you give the late payers a call and ask them if "they have recieved their invoice" or something like that. Always give the customer the benifit of the doubt that it was simply over-looked due to being a new bill.
"ethical?" are u on crack? read it slowly- they did not pay thier bill....keep repeating it, till u understand

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
pay a-tten-tion...........it's $30 per week, wether i'm there, or not. if i skip 3 weeks, the next mow is $120. get it? probly not
oh see i get it, i know about the seasonal mowing fee. now wouldn't it be easier to bang that lawn out while you are in the neighorhood 4 times a month, than to show up once for the month (once she pays the bill) and show up with a goat to cut 1.5 ft of grass? $120 for 4 easy cuts, or $120 for one terrbly hard time consuming messy cut? and with your equipment, that mower will be LABORING HARD. get it now?

LawnGuy73
05-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I thought you were going to drop all your late payers, not just suspend them....Hmm? :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought you were going to drop all your late payers, not just suspend them....Hmm? :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
good point. :waving:

Precision
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
As for my earliness, a friend of mine died and I couldn't sleep... but thanks for your interest.

I think you are missing the point. When my yearly clients are suspended and miss a cut, they paid for the cut they didn't get and when I resume cutting the next week, they have infact paid a double payment for that cut. Paid in advance works out quite nicely that way.

Precision
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM

I like Bobby have no interest in chasing money. I provide a service, I do a good job, I show up on time. All I ask is that you pay according to the contract.

My contract says I get paid the day they sign the contract and every month following prior to me starting the mowing. They don't like it, they can go with some dull blade mower who won't be around next month.

Or they can go to my mow and blow company and provide a credit card for auto billing.

I'm doing the work, I am getting paid.

topsites
05-04-2006, 07:53 PM

yeah man, I don't like losing money but you got to give them a little bit of rope sheesh... Most people really are not that bad, some are but hey. a lot of times someone pays a little late, whatever... it's a different story if you're going 30 days or better without payola but this is all advance payment, I'd cut the grass at least once in good faith, probably not more than that but..

topsites
05-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Not to entirely disagree but there are certain lawns really only need it EOW but you are correct, in spring MOST lawns need to be on 6-8, 8-10 and 10-12 day schedules... The problem I have is the EOW person strikes me as someone trying to pinch pennies and all I say to them is if the lawn's too tall, it either costs extra or I keep right on driving.

Another way to say it is, I don't gouge my customers but I do keep the schedule. I'll take their suggestions but up to a point, I decide when it needs cutting.

Badgerz
05-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Two days late and he wants to drop them. Two days. HAHAHAHA

NCSERVICE
05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
best way to do it is all year round contracts, if you have to do a summer cut charge high because the extra labor involved. year round contracts pad the pockets with $$ in the winter. If they get two months behind i threaten to cut them off and they pay, and to avoid future embarrassment they git it in on time the next time.

MowerMoney
05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
You are truly amazing BobbyG. If I tried half your tactics I would have about 5 clients left. Is there no one else in your area that cuts lawns?

Soupy
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Bobby, haven't you collected like 3 months worth of payments and have only provided like 3 cuts in April? I think the customer has a credit at this point so it wouldn't kill you to have a little faith in them. After all they had faith in you to pay 2 payments before you provided 1 minute labor.

The way I look at it is if you cancel them you owe them the over paid balance back. Your working a scam on these people. I have a feeling you hope they don't pay so you can pocket the payments you have received without paying out the expenses to maintain their property later.

No wonder you have so many complaining customers.

Dashunde
05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
I have to chime in here...
Bobby, I'd tell you to stick it if I were your customer.

I mail out bills on the 1st and the 15th regardless of due dates.
The three most important ones are due on the 3rd and 4th, so the others get there early and some a few days late. Yours would be late by a day or three and your actions would get you fired right off my yard in an instant.
Someone else would get my money consistently on the 4th.

Some of you say that you dont want to chase money, me either, but I also understand that I dont chase bills one-by-one... very few people do.

JimLewis
05-05-2006, 02:06 AM

Nooooo......Ya think???

:rolleyes:

dcplace2004
05-05-2006, 04:09 AM
she owes me 325.00 for a pruning job from the 20th of April...she just payed me yesterday...being new in this business I have to understand that 325.00 late is better than no dollars...is it something I like dealing with? NO. Last year I had a cleanup for almost the same amount and he took a month to pay...again, that is still money in my pocket rather than not...The cool thing is, I rarely have people that do this, so it is not the end of the world...I am not at a point in my business where I can pick and choose just yet...well, I did turn one away this year for a certain amount (big for me though) and also cancel service to another...I enjoyed typing the cancellation letter on this psycho PITA B*tch.

MarcSmith
05-05-2006, 08:40 AM
she owes me 325.00 for a pruning job from the 20th of April...she just payed me yesterday...being new in this business I have to understand that 325.00 late is better than no dollars...is it something I like dealing with? NO. Last year I had a cleanup for almost the same amount and he took a month to pay...again, that is still money in my pocket rather than not...The cool thing is, I rarely have people that do this, so it is not the end of the world...I am not at a point in my business where I can pick and choose just yet...well, I did turn one away this year for a certain amount (big for me though) and also cancel service to another...I enjoyed typing the cancellation letter on this psycho PITA B*tch.

Its only late if the terms on your invoice say its late.....I did business somehwat similar to bobby. in that my clients signed up for a yearly service and they paid a flat rate from january to december. if I was there once, or 5 times. Some people can't budget and knowing exactly what bills are going to be each month make it easier and thuss a lesser chance of late/no pays becasue the bill was unexpectedly high.

I billed on the end of the month for that month with payment due on the 15 of the follwing month. So I essentially extended credit to those who signed a contract for 45 days. If after the 15th I did not recieve a check a phone call was made. I woudl not stop service until the end of the month. So for me worst case scenari is I would have cut grass for 60 days with no payment. So at the end of 60 days, they now owe one month+late fees(20% of the total late bill)+ second month + a percentage of the remaining contract for breach of contract depeding on which month it is.

It was all spelling out in my oner page residential contract. I was never too quick to pull the trigger and jsut drop someone or stop cutting when they are late by a day or two...I float bills and checks with the best of them as well.

bobbygedd
05-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Nooooo......Ya think???

:rolleyes:
tell me WHY, it's unreasonable, to expect payments on time

Idealtim
05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Two days late and he wants to drop them. Two days. HAHAHAHA

yeah what he said!!!

murray83
05-05-2006, 10:34 PM
hmm maybe make an offer like a certain % off if they pay within a certain time frame? any one try this? kinda a bonus to the customer and it might make sure people pay on time.

K.Carothers
05-05-2006, 10:45 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NCSERVICE
05-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I understand the no bull approach, do you let the customer know ahead of time that if they dont send you a check within thirty seconds of receiving the bill that you will quit showing up but keep charging them? i got respect for the approach i try to get serious when explaining my billing process to a new customer, but am still reasonable.

topsites
05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
best way to do it is all year round contracts, if you have to do a summer cut charge high because the extra labor involved. year round contracts pad the pockets with $$ in the winter. If they get two months behind i threaten to cut them off and they pay, and to avoid future embarrassment they git it in on time the next time.

I won't argue with you on the semantics of written vs. verbals but you give them two months, I give them at least one free grass cut sometimes two, and even more if they're long-term customers of mine. They really deserve that much, I can't see hanging these guys every time one drop of water doesn't fall from the sky quite the right way.

Do I lose money this way? OMG you bet, but it's so minimal, it really only angers me when I know they meant to do it, the rest of the time it frustrates some but so long I can deposit my 1.2k or 1.5k or almost 2k every week for 3 months straight, I find it very tolerable.

Where your contracts carry you through, I bank my money... Different for sure but we both survive, right?

I mean really, how much money are we losing if you're getting paid 300-400 a day, regardless of who paid or what you did?
Because once the money is flowing GOOD, it really almost doesn't matter.
That's not to say I won't drop a slow payer but give them some rope.

I think bg has overdone it some lol

topsites
05-05-2006, 11:20 PM
It was all spelling out in my oner page residential contract. I was never too quick to pull the trigger and jsut drop someone or stop cutting when they are late by a day or two...I float bills and checks with the best of them as well.

I heard that, about the only thing around here gets paid on time are utilities and the credit card(s) because of interest and late fees.
Oh yeah, and I get paid first, too.
Everyone and everything else gets paid when they get paid, but get paid they do (as a rule I like not to make anyone wait more than 60 days but that's just me). Yup, even taxes and inspection and other stickers get paid when they get paid.

So, checks come in when checks come in.
Then, they get deposited.
Then, stuff gets paid after I get paid.
I trust my customers, they trust me.
There are times throughout the year I literally get sick and tired of doing paperwork all the time, and I'll go a month or three without even bothering to check and see who paid and who didn't. Don't get me wrong, I get back up on things and double-check payments and I can get right anal from time to time so they know I can do that too, but most of the time I just know I will get paid.

NCSERVICE
05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Look if you dont put your foot down they will run your business, and loose respect for you or think that you make enough money you dont need to be paid on time. keep it professional due dates like everybody else in the credit business, the longer you let it go the greater the chance of loosing the customer because the cant catch up and it has to get nasty. :)

NCSERVICE
05-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Furthermore contracts pay off in the winter when the guys fly south, and you dont loose any income $$ from maintenance. every other week in the winter provides plenty of vacation time. which we all need.

bobbygedd
05-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Look if you dont put your foot down they will run your business, and loose respect for you or think that you make enough money you dont need to be paid on time. keep it professional due dates like everybody else in the credit business, the longer you let it go the greater the chance of loosing the customer because the cant catch up and it has to get nasty. :)
very true. so let me ask you this: HOW COME they always pay a little late, and never VERY EARLY? how come they pay on the first, or on the 29th, or on the 2nd or 3rd, BUT NEVER 5-6 days EARLY like on the 24th, or 25th?

bobbygedd
05-06-2006, 07:33 AM
btw, all 97 accounts were paid by the 4th, with the exception of one, who still isn't paid. she's dumped. the others who were not paid by the 1st, will recieve a warning letter + $10 late fee

Soupy
05-06-2006, 10:39 PM
btw, all 97 accounts were paid by the 4th, with the exception of one, who still isn't paid. she's dumped. the others who were not paid by the 1st, will recieve a warning letter + $10 late fee

I sent out a letter explaining the importance of paying on time and that all payments received after the 15th will be charge a late fee. This month I received some early payments from the usual late payers from the past. I was shocked to receive payments from these guys 3 days after I sent invoice.

I guess the letter lit a fire under their butt, because it is 5 days since I mailed invoices and all of the late payers are already paid and the ones that are not paid I am not worried about because I know they will be here by the 15th.

Bobby are these late payments for work already performed or for work that will be performed this month? If they are pre-payments I think you would be wrong to charge any late fee's for being 1-4 late. Just my opinion.

topsites
05-07-2006, 12:01 AM
very true. so let me ask you this: HOW COME they always pay a little late, and never VERY EARLY? how come they pay on the first, or on the 29th, or on the 2nd or 3rd, BUT NEVER 5-6 days EARLY like on the 24th, or 25th?

That may be true for most of them but I do have a few who have paid or do pay in advance, it's just not something I push for.
I have one customer can go who knows how long at 50 / cut without paying because we just don't see each other, but the guy is there one day and hands me a check for all the back cuts plus 3-4 more. Got another one just like it, goes 3-4 months sometimes then one day cuts me a check for several hundred.

No, it's not standard, but I do get them like that.

I can see dumping that one but I'd skip the letter + $10 fee just for kicks, it's only May 6 and you're paid until end of month...
I say give them that 1st - 5th wait time because a lot of folks are used to paying by the first but NO later than the 5th due to leases and rental agreements and some mortgages working like that. It makes it easy to remember and is likely why a few paid like they did, but pay they did, for the whole month, even if you do nothing you done got paid.
Guys like me wish we had it that good but are glad we don't lol.

ProStreetCamaro
05-07-2006, 12:37 AM
If you were to charge a late fee or do anything like that around here the customer would drop you and get Juan and Julio or Chavez down the street to do it. Every other vehical on the road is a truck and trailor full of mexicans and mowers around here.

lawnman_scott
05-07-2006, 10:21 AM
tell me WHY, it's unreasonable, to expect payments on timeBecause there are 150 other morons who will cut it till the customer is damn good and ready to pay. We are not supposed to expect things like on time payments, just be happy we get paid, whenever it may be. I guess this is one more way you (and I) are killing the industry.

JJLandscapes
05-07-2006, 12:54 PM

im starting to think you or your wife have a severe drug problem or you need to learn how to save money if you need money that desperatly from people .. i see a new post every other day from you about late payers

you gonna lose 4k+ a year on losing 4 customers if they only get cuts instead of letting them pay a month late

topsites
05-07-2006, 01:05 PM
im starting to think you or your wife have a severe drug problem or you need to learn how to save money if you need money that desperatly from people .. i see a new post every other day from you about late payers

That's funny you say that, I've suspected alcohol myself. Not so much because of the money issue, that never crossed my mind but good catch, my thing was because the man is so uptight and a lot of times doesn't appear to see things clearly and can be sooo unforgiving. I mean, geez, a day or 3 late on upfront payola... I'm sitting here starting to get frustrated over someone who hasn't paid in close to a month after the work was done. I keep trying to tell the man, you got to give them some rope.

The only other time I get like that is when I'm being had, or when I didn't charge enough for the job... It happens when I get into that mode, or when it's just too much work for too long and everybody wants everything yesterday and really a lot of extras for free, but sooner or later things always improve, no?

bobbygedd
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM

you gonna lose 4k+ a year on losing 4 customers if they only get cuts instead of letting them pay a month late
it's a matter of principle. i have to pay my bills on time, or suffer the penalty. my clients should be responsible for the same thing

JJLandscapes
05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
it's a matter of principle. i have to pay my bills on time, or suffer the penalty. my clients should be responsible for the same thing

no one in the world pays every bill on time no company in the world gets all there invoices paid every month... thats just how it works and the stricter you get with your customer the more you will start to lose maybe not this year but after 3 years mayabe someone will be so annoyed by your late fees them and all there neighbors will leave at once

and once again you would be giving up thousands to lose one customer because they paid a little late

manage your money better so you dont need it so desperatly to pay your bills... if you are that tight on money maybe you should get into a nother profession that will guarantee a check every week.... i highly doubt you are broke just a pain in the ass and think about it... u know in the long run there will be more consequences

and i still cant understand how 92 out 93 customers pay in advance on time you are either using credit cards or every single person has a book keeper on staff 24/7 to write checks on time

bobbygedd
05-07-2006, 06:24 PM
no one in the world pays every bill on time no company in the world gets all there invoices paid every month... thats just how it works and the stricter you get with your customer the more you will start to lose maybe not this year but after 3 years mayabe someone will be so annoyed by your late fees them and all there neighbors will leave at once

and once again you would be giving up thousands to lose one customer because they paid a little late

manage your money better so you dont need it so desperatly to pay your bills... if you are that tight on money maybe you should get into a nother profession that will guarantee a check every week.... i highly doubt you are broke just a pain in the ass and think about it... u know in the long run there will be more consequences

and i still cant understand how 92 out 93 customers pay in advance on time you are either using credit cards or every single person has a book keeper on staff 24/7 to write checks on time
typical lawnboy statement. i know guys who "have to have thier winter money saved by the end of july". WHY? cus they are never sure when/if thier clients will pay thier bills. these same guys: "don't go on vacation, i can't take the chance that no more money will come in." yea, ok kid, you live your life like a fool if u want to, i'll live mine, the way i want. pay the gdamn bill, or find someone else. period