PDA

View Full Version : 2-Stroke Oil Question

steve45
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Just purchased a Stihl stick edger yesterday. I read the manual last night and found that it specifically says not to use 2-stroke oil intended for watercraft, which I keep on hand. TCW & BIA approved oils are to be avoided, as are oils approved for both air & water cooled engines. Anybody know why? Are the air-cooled engine temps too high for these oils?

Also noticed that this engine requires 89 octane gas. Wish everything used the same stuff...

T.E.
05-04-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know all the paticulars on the oil, but there is a difference. Just use the 2 cycle oil for trimmers, and you'll be fine. I also just 87 octane, and have never had a problem.

Richard Martin
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Just purchased a Stihl stick edger yesterday. I read the manual last night and found that it specifically says not to use 2-stroke oil intended for watercraft, which I keep on hand. TCW & BIA approved oils are to be avoided, as are oils approved for both air & water cooled engines. Anybody know why? Are the air-cooled engine temps too high for these oils?

Also noticed that this engine requires 89 octane gas. Wish everything used the same stuff...

You've already answered your own question. Water cooled engine run far, far cooler than air cooled and require a different oil. Of course someone's going to chime in about how they've been using TC-W3 oil with no problems but it's not something I want to do to my expensive 2 stroke equipment.

Just use 89 and mix it with Amsoil at 80:1 and you'll have one gas for all of your 2 stroke machines.

ThirdDay
05-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Echo Power Blend oil and 89 octane gas is all that we use now. We experimented with several different oils and gas but this works the best for us.

Do NOT use 87 octane in ANY hand held product from ANY manufacturer!

newz7151
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Unless it's like a Ryobi,or Poulan, or Homelite or something... no need to waste the extra money on expensive gas for those.

JTF40
05-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Echo Power Blend oil and 89 octane gas is all that we use now. We experimented with several different oils and gas but this works the best for us.

I have/do own Stihl, Redmax, Makita(Robin), and McCulloch - I have been using 87 octane for 20+ years and NEVER a problem.

Also, Opti2 2-cycle oil is my choice for over 10 years. JMO.....:usflag:

NCSERVICE
05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
You've already answered your own question. Water cooled engine run far, far cooler than air cooled and require a different oil. Of course someone's going to chime in about how they've been using TC-W3 oil with no problems but it's not something I want to do to my expensive 2 stroke equipment.

Just use 89 and mix it with Amsoil at 80:1 and you'll have one gas for all of your 2 stroke machines.

exactly, the outboard oil ran in air cooled two strokes is disastrous, the oil does not burn correctly and builds up under the rings, exhaust port, it also breaks down faster.

lawnspecialties
05-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I have/do own Stihl, Redmax, Makita(Robin), and McCulloch - I have been using 87 octane for 20+ years and NEVER a problem.

Also, Opti2 2-cycle oil is my choice for over 10 years. JMO.....:usflag:

Ditto here on the Opti-2 and 87 octane. I have a five year old BC2300 RedMax trimmer I use every day. Never had a single bit of engine work, yet. :weightlifter:

imograss
05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I also use 87 and Opti2, no engine failures in the 5 years I've used Opti2.

Tanaka
05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi,
Everybody know about the Tanaka bottle? (just killing some time here:cool: )

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=700208&Category_Code=

-MW

mcwlandscaping
05-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I like those tanaka bottles, easy to use it seems, ive used 87 octane in everything and stihl two cycle oil from day one, never had any engine trouble with any two stroke piece of equipment yet!

steve45
05-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I appreciate everyone's input! I've been using synthetic watercraft oil in my trimmer & blower for several years, along with 87 octane fuel. I think I'll probably switch to the recommended oil. I'm at 3000' elevation and can probably use 87 octane safely, but I'll consider 89.

totallawncare912
05-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Enviro Opti2 Best out there IMO never let me down you wont be dissapointed

Richard Martin
05-05-2006, 04:00 AM
Hi,
Everybody know about the Tanaka bottle? (just killing some time here:cool: )

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=700208&Category_Code=

-MW

For those of you who mix smaller amounts (less than 5 gallons) Mark's bottle looks to be a great idea.

Roger
05-05-2006, 06:32 AM
I too use Opt-2 2 cycle oil. The first bottles I bought were quart bottles that have a measuring tube on one side. I saved the bottles and use the measuring tube. I buy the gallon bottle and mix 5 gal and 2.5 gal cans. The product is so much less expensive in the gallon bottle.

I mix 4.5 oz (full measuring tube) for 2.5 gal, makes about 75:1 mix. Using 100:1 mix makes my Stihl gear seem "too loose." It sounds better using 75:1 mix, ... maybe it is just my perception.

lawnboy dan
05-05-2006, 07:14 AM
mobil 1 2stroke is the best oil i have ever used. opti 2 is just too expencive and 100/1 is just too lean for me. i used tcw 3 oils for years and they work fine. there is a new kind of oil made just for watercraft (jet ski) that is not approved for air cooled engines. regular outboard oil can be used