PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need A License

blkbutterflyy
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi, I am just starting a lawn mowing business. We are only doing this during the summer and are only mowing residential lawns. Nothing commercial. Just wondering. I don't think we need any permits or anything but I just wanna make sure.

blkbutterflyy
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
i guess this is a stupid question since no one is replying but i really wanna know. Please say something

tlwmsu
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Since I'm not from Missouri, take this with a grain of salt. I think the answer to your question might be another question. "Do you want to be legit?" If you want to pocket tax free cash during the summer, hoping no government agency catches you, and don't care if some LCO's call you a "scrub", then I guess you won't need one.

Honestly, I don't know what state, county, or local laws apply to you, but do a Google search for "missouri business license" and start calling phone numbers that come up on those sites to try to get official information. :usflag:

Lynden-Jeff
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
i guess this is a stupid question since no one is replying but i really wanna know. Please say something

Hi,

Not a stupid question! I am in the same boat but for Ontario Canada. Im pretty sure all I need to do is register a business name, get a GST number and get business insurance. I did some searchs and could find nothing about licensing for LCO's. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know!

Cheers
Jeff

sooner74
05-04-2006, 01:04 PM
check with the state and then the city you live in. I had to register a business name with the state and then get a business license with the city/town that I live in. First website lets you search for name availability and the second link is general links for business in Moussouri.

https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/csearch.asp

http://www.mo.gov/mo/business.htm

Found this stuff searching "Missouri business" at yahoo.com

Charles
05-04-2006, 01:43 PM
In many cities you have to get a business license --doesn't matter whether you do residential or commercial--one yard or a 1000. Cost varies and there are fines for not having one.

A1A Lawn Care
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Its actually a simple answer in my opinion, Yes! GET A LISENCE! I dont mean to be rash, but its just worth it and you wont have a bad feeling in the back of your head.

NCSERVICE
05-04-2006, 06:44 PM
All i had to do is get a federal tax id#, and register my business name. however i have to get a privilege license to work in certain cities. the only other license they require is a pesticide license, if you spray for $$ you have to have it.

topsites
05-04-2006, 06:45 PM
There is one more thing, the trailer. Not to be funny but if you get a single-axle trailer you should be ok but if you get a double-axle one you might need a class-c commercial driver's license IF the gvwr of the trailer and the truck exceed 10,000 pounds (doesn't matter what is loaded, it's the rating). Depends on location but best check or just get a single axle one.

You probably also want to get a FIN or EIN, which is a federal tax ID number thou you can use your SSN for a bit.

6'7 330
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Check with your state, city, and county for license requirements.License requirements vary from state to state. Some villages around the surburban areas here require a home business permit, and some have screw ball regulations.A friend was running a daycare in a village in the south suburbs,and besides the state and other regulations, had to get a village license as well.The license required that she get so many of her neighbors signatures, so many feet on each side of her, and accoss the street.

mike lane lawn care
05-04-2006, 08:55 PM
you should get your license, but if you are doing it part time i suppose you could get by for this summer without one, just to see if you like it. As of today I don't have my license, but i am applying for one within the next few weeks.

blkbutterflyy
05-05-2006, 06:06 AM
My thing is that I am a student. This isn't something that I am trying to do long term. Just this summer and next summer. I'm gonna see how this plays out. and then go from there.

topsites
05-05-2006, 08:25 AM
My thing is that I am a student. This isn't something that I am trying to do long term. Just this summer and next summer. I'm gonna see how this plays out. and then go from there.

Keep in mind there is an option for the IRS where you can earn up to (let me finish please) 600 dollars / year without declaring it on taxes. In addition, you can have a hobby for which you can have up to 1,000 dollars in expenses and income which you do declare but again you do not need a license, you just declare it end of year, it may be on the long form but you might need an additional form, Quicken includes the option or at least it used to (don't know if this has changed).

Either way, that gives you 1,600 to play with and it may not sound like a lot but it's something to consider and even if you go over it some (like 2,000 for example) it should be ok. Now if you end up near 20 or 30 thousand, you can then run off to get a license and do things a bit backwards but it will still work better late than never, you then declare it under your business... Also if you end up clearing a LOT of money you should be able to see that coming so if that is the case then do the license thing asap.

Evergreenpros
05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Always get a license first, it's usually a painless and inexpensive task to complete. Most cities require a license in addition to the state license. Not sure about your state but in Washington we have to collect sales tax in addition to paying Business and Organization tax on all revenue we collect.