PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Ford Diesel

trent515
05-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys
Been looking for a second work truck, and came across this at a small local lot:
1985 Ford F250 6.9L Diesel 4 speed manual tranny, extended cab, long bed
108,000 miles, new clutch and pressure plate.....interior is in great shape, lots of options (PW PL cloth seat etc.) but exterior is rough at places like you would expect....2WD also
Asking price is $1995....thinking of making a cash offer on it
Any pros/cons on this...I know some people love the old Ford Navstar's and some can't stand them

J&R Landscaping
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
The old 6.9's were good running engines. I would offer $1500 and see what he says.

Gravel Rat
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I would avoid the truck if you have not experience with the 6.9s as its probably going to need some work. For starters you will most likely need to fix the glow plug system the old style 6.9 system wasn't that good. The next thing would be the fuel system if the truck has no repair history you can expect to replace the injectors and Injection pump budget 1000 dollars for that.

To top it off the truck is a 2wd and needs body work you will be spending alot to resurect a old truck.

FearThisDeere
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree with Gravel Rat. I have HEARD that those 6.9s have some issues with the glow plug systems as well as the fuel systems. I think that the fuel pump is also a very common cause. These can be costly repairs when added to body work and the usual maintenance. While $2000 is a decent price for a truck, it is 2wd and you can expect to pay nearly twice that is repair bills. I would look elsewhere. Maybe something that might cost you more upfront but save you in the end. JMO:waving:

Gravel Rat
05-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Guys that have had 6.9s and have experience with them buy them and have decent success with them because they know the problems the 6.9s have. Most guys that have these old trucks are pretty much hands on people what they own they repair.