PDA

View Full Version : Question about using my dedicated blade grinder

LwnmwrMan22
05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I just got around to using my Oregon blade grinder for the first time.

After 17 years previous, I've never used one, but I thought I'd give one a shot. You know, running out of things to buy for the business.

Anyways, I set it up with a new blade. The bevel on the blade was even with the edge of the grinding wheel. Meaning the edge of the grinding wheel was touching the whole "slant" of the blade.

I then took a blade that had been used, and ground it down. And ground some more. And ground some more. All in all, ground about a full minute +/- on each side, and I still didn't have a real sharp edge on the blade. I COULD see that the front - dulled edge was getting thinner, so am I doing it right??

I realize that I probably let my blades get too dull to begin with, so I'm just wondering do I need to run these blades through the sharpener this much??? Probably even a little more?

Littleriver1
05-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Not all blades come with the same angle. Most have 30 degree. If it were just a flat blade with no angle, it would be a 90 degree angle. If it were one half of that it would be 45 degree. (not good) If it were one third, it would be 30 degrees. (better) Don't think you can set the angle once and forget about it. It helps if you do it more than once a year.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I run mine that way and then hit it at a 45 degree angle on edge of grinding wheel to make just a little sharper. This does nick the blade a little more if you hit something. Richard brought up a sharpening method that I had forgotten about for 20 something yrs.