PDA

View Full Version : Sod won't root in!

Green Acres
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I did a project about 3 weeks ago for a guy. We killed off his front lawn with round-up then waited about 2 weeks and I used my bobcat to scrap off the old grass and smooth it off. Then we laid new fescue sod on the front lawn and some bare spots in the back lawn. Will it has been about 3 weeks since we laid the sod and the front lawn hasn't took yet. The back lawn is fine and you can't pull it up, we didn't roundup anything in the back lawn. The front though you can pull up with little resistance. We have had a lot of rain lately and the sod looks great the roots just are not growing. Any advice would be great. I'm afraid when it gets hot the sod will just dry up without any roots.

dKoester
05-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Stop pulling it up. It should root. Next time put some top soil down before you sod. I hope I don't sound too harsh because I'm not trying to be. Phosphorous helps promote root developement.

NickN
05-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Hard panning due scraping off the grass with the Bobcat.Next time,after scraping the grass,till or aerate the ground,level,install sod,and roll sod with a roller.It'll take as is,but with ground compacted,it'll take longer.Make sure it gets plenty of water in the meantime.

rider
05-05-2006, 12:03 AM
put some starter fert on, 18-24-12 50% ppscu

gammon landscaping
05-05-2006, 12:44 AM
if you take a bucket on a skid and cut the ground like that, you leave a slick glassy looking finish that is really compacted. that will never let roots in. it sets up like concrete. you need to break the ground before you plant anything. leveling only semi loose material

Green Acres
05-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I put down an 18-24-12 starter fertilizer and I broke the ground up with the teeth on the bobcat so that the first few inches where loose. I didn't have any of the glazing effect on the soil from the bucket.

golfguy
05-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Not sure what you may have available to you for an aerator, but as previously mentioned the roots of the sod will not easily penetrate the soil.

I have with great sucess used a Ryan Greensaire 24 on new sod with little to no rooting to help get the ball rolling on the root growth.

I must warn use extreme caution. If the aerator is not of the gently variety it will do a fantastic job of rototilling your sod!

Mike33
05-07-2006, 09:29 AM
put some starter fert on, 18-24-12 50% ppscu
I have been using 18-24-12 since i bought my hydro seeder last year. Im very impressesd with the yards i did staying green so long instead of the yellow shade i used to get from 19-19-19. Also my sales rep told me i could apply it 12 weeks later can not burn it up.

mike

Rtom45
05-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Sometimes if the sod is too thick and/or the sod gets a lot of water, the roots have no need to go deeper. After a thorough watering, try letting it dry a little so the roots have to follow water down into the soil.

mr. niceguy
05-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Is it possible that the Roundup is preventing the roots from taking? I know they say on the instructions to wait 1 month before reseeding due to preemergent effects, perhaps this is true with sod and root growth.

upidstay
05-20-2006, 12:11 PM
It wouldn't be round up. I have sprayed that stuff, waited for it to dry, then slice seeded, and it came in beautifully. Try using an organic fert with micorhizae. That will encourage your sod.

drmiller100
05-29-2006, 03:54 AM
you need to water hard enough to get the dirt under the sod muddy. for the first week, water the heck out of it.

then, the goal is to have the dirt under the sod muddy. so, water hard, once a day.

Turfdude
05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
get a set of teeth for your skid steer bucket (about $400-$500), after you finish the sod strip, scarify the top 3"-4" w/ the teeth... makes for easy grading and great surface for sod. Also, don't forget to add pelletized lime, a good starter fertilizer & of course roll sod bi-directionally w/ a water filled roller! Its all aobut prep & proper installation procedures.