PDA

View Full Version : rhizomatous tall fescue

Drew Gemma
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Has anyone used it all I hear is how good it is what are the draw backs. Home owner wants to seed 3 acers with it. What should he expect? Any experience you guys have had good or bad let me know!

Thanks!

Premo Services
05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
I tried it at some of my high end accounts last fall.
It was called titan tall fescue.The customers were up to try it out on their lawns.

It seems to be doing good, but it is slow to get growing in thick. Mabey that is because of the plants making the root system at first. I did a core aeration in early spring and applied starter fert to it and it is beginning to thicken up now. I guess we will see how well it does after a year has passed.

muddstopper
05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Altho , fescue is classified as a bunch grass, it is really a rhizomatus grass. The ones touted as rhizome produceing are just select cultivars of fescue that have demostated more rhizhome producing tendencies. Even the improved varities wont produce rhizomes without excellent fertility levels. I have tried some and actually planted it side by side other varities that are not touted as rhizome produceing fescues. I have not observed any visible difference in rhyzome producion between the rhizome produceing fescues and the non rhizome produceing fescues. Seeds planted included, K31, Southern States Statesman fescue, Gold Medal fescue, Pennington Plantation fescue, and Water Saver Rhizome producing fescue. Test plots where 8x8 and preped and fertilized in the same manner and all fescues where planted at the same time and then left to mother nature to provide water. Results showed Southern States, Statesman to out perform the other varities in appearance and K31 being the most durable during drought conditions.

My test plotts are now over grown from lack of maintenance but the different grasses are still distingusable from the weeds and field grasses.(I think). I will see if I can get a picture and check for rhizomes. The plotts are two years old and havent recieved any care in at least a year.

dool
10-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Just found this http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/pub/ats/news/2008/TallFescue/

Mike33
10-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Altho , fescue is classified as a bunch grass, it is really a rhizomatus grass. The ones touted as rhizome produceing are just select cultivars of fescue that have demostated more rhizhome producing tendencies. Even the improved varities wont produce rhizomes without excellent fertility levels. I have tried some and actually planted it side by side other varities that are not touted as rhizome produceing fescues. I have not observed any visible difference in rhyzome producion between the rhizome produceing fescues and the non rhizome produceing fescues. Seeds planted included, K31, Southern States Statesman fescue, Gold Medal fescue, Pennington Plantation fescue, and Water Saver Rhizome producing fescue. Test plots where 8x8 and preped and fertilized in the same manner and all fescues where planted at the same time and then left to mother nature to provide water. Results showed Southern States, Statesman to out perform the other varities in appearance and K31 being the most durable during drought conditions.

My test plotts are now over grown from lack of maintenance but the different grasses are still distingusable from the weeds and field grasses.(I think). I will see if I can get a picture and check for rhizomes. The plotts are two years old and havent recieved any care in at least a year.

Very nice reply. I use pennington athletic field mix 8 lbs per 1k does well.
Mike

EA Quinn
10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I have seeded four good sized lawns with the turf type tall fescue with great success. These lawns were all full sun, great drainage and no irrigation. I have found that you need to fertilizer in the spring, leave the lawn alone in the summer and give it a shot of fert in the fall. If you push the growth in the summer it will get hammered with brown patch. I actually have a seed grower coming out from Oregon on Monday to take a look at these lawns because they are curious about how the seed is working in real world applications. So far I absolutely love seeding it. I have found its a little slower to get growing, but once established looks incredible and does really well.