PDA

View Full Version : sod removal

ramlawncare
05-04-2006, 09:02 PM
how much do yall charge for sod removal?

ed2hess
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
We charge by the hour...$25/hr....but how much are we talking about.

cwlawley
05-04-2006, 11:07 PM
We charge by the hour...$35.00 plus the rental fee for the sod cutter if needed, plus the disposal fee if needed.

justanotherlawnguy
05-07-2006, 01:25 AM
i charge by the sq ft $0.75 to remove or $1.25/sq ft for the old stuff to come up and new sod installed.

Taking up old sod $uck$!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed the previous two guys that posted said they charge by the hour. WIth stuff like sod removal, you will kill yourself for not alot of money by charging by the hour. I have never been a big fan of charging by the hour, I used to do that when I first started and got burned on many a jobs.

I guess it depends on how busy you are also, or how bad you need the work.

Say a 1500 sf sod removal job is bid using the $35/hr rate and it takes you 4 hours. You just made $140
Or charge $0.75/sf for the same job, that would get you $1125 (based on same 4 hours that would equal $281.25/hr). OF course some customers are going to $hit their pants, some wont. When the complain about pricing, especially for sod removal, use the analogy of guys who install ceramic tile say $5.00 sf. That tends to put it in perspective. Like I said earlier, taking up sod is a major PITA so you might as well get paid for it...

SWD
05-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I charge/estimate by several factors, accessibility to the area, size of removal, run time to the dump, and turf type.
Some of my customers are long term, meaning I have had for over five years, and for these people I will quote an hours rate. All others get a bid.
Justanother has a good idea and process and it is one I tpically use as well.
My per hour labor cost for estimating/bidding is $45/labor hour.
It seems to be okay as I am backed up for five weeks right now.