PDA

View Full Version : my competition

BSME
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
as crankysprinklerguy would say, "sigh"

I started up TWO separate homes today that were both installed by one of the larger companies in the area... they are one of the most expensive as far as service rates go but almost the cheapest as far as installs.

One system was five years old the other was 2. Both of them had been serviced by this company since they were installed.

almost unbelievably... one house had TWO zones that had never been nozzled... the orange rainbird caps had turned white from being in the sun for so many years. The other house had the EXACT same problem on one zone.

how can they be in such a hurry that they forget to nozzle?!?!? I wish I had the camera today

jerryrwm
05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Better question..."How can the owners be so stupid and not figure something was not quite right with those zones?"

BSME
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
haha oh yea... i forgot to mention that part...

I had to convince the first guy that there was something wrong... the pressure was obviously terrible but he thought they were supposed to be 360 nozzles.. after I made them all 12Hs he didn't like it as much...

the second guy just never really saw that zone since it was on the side of the house

unbelievable

bdb
05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Unbelievable...:laugh:...a guy told me his service call yesterday was the home owner turned on the water and it was leaking by the backflow in the ground. Huh...well it was installed last fall and never turned on. The company that installed it told them it was good to go in the spring. Nope they never completed it. The water was coming out of the pipe that was never connected to the main. Besides that they never hooked up any wires to the valves and didn't install any valve boxes. Lucky for the (dumb):hammerhead: home owner who already paid the installer which they couldn't get a hold of now that every thing else was done and there. Controller and all lines hooked up.:dizzy:

SprinklerGuy
05-05-2006, 07:21 AM
It is no wonder I do well in a new market so fast and limited advertising....

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I once read a newspaper article that said a contractor had put the valve boxes in the ground, installed heads only, no pipe, never made athe water connection. Then got his money and said they would be back to go over it with the homeowner. Of course they never heard from him again. Not sure if he was busted eventually or not.

PurpHaze
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Sounds like one of the large contractors in our area opened up a branch in your area. :laugh:

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 08:24 AM
almost unbelievably... one house had TWO zones that had never been nozzled... the orange rainbird caps had turned white from being in the sun for so many years. The other house had the EXACT same problem on one zone.

I've run ito this before, but never an entire zone. One or two heads, but never entire zones. I love the heads that were covered with sod and never found until I got there.

PurpHaze
05-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Had an area of a newly completed system (still under warranty) that had a large rectangle dead area in the center of a field. Contractor swore that it was bad soil or some other condition and the higher upppers believed him. I went out, fired the zone and determined that the contractor's guys had installed part circle I-40s instead of full circles. When the contractor was called on this he stated that his supplier had run out of FC sprinklers and that as soon as they were in he'd change them out. This was six months after the initial install.:rolleyes:

BSME
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
another one from the same company... I'm just going to start calling them Rainscape...

Went to go start someone up... they were bitching about Rainscape and how they had them install it last year but are fed up with them...

front yard had three rotors but there was an obvious spot where there should have been a fourth... I went to check it out and found a wet spot.

The company had pulled one line through the 1'' right before that fourth head and doing so kinked it over so that it wasn't leaking too bad. I hooked it up and found that the fourth head had never been adjusted...

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
It's middle of the day. Get back to work!!

Oh wait, what am I doing on here. I better get back out there too.

BSME
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
what? you've never heard of a lunch hour?

btw... pathetic how we spend our free time

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
what? you've never heard of a lunch hour?

No I haven't. Is that what people do in the middle of the day while I'm busting my butt, and eating while I'm driving? Oh wait, I forgot to eat again. No wonder I'm losing weight.

BSME
05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
haha...

I got a bluetooth headset recently so now I can drive, eat, and write down messages all at once!

I got another "what were they thinking?" today... wasn't from rainscape but the city put in a new sidewalk and when they went to fix the pipe they hooked up one neighbors sprinklers to the other's system.... I was highly amused

Dirty Water
05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I had a real PITA today.

2" PVC mainline had a blown out tee from a poor glue job. The tee was nearly fitting to fitting with a 2" manifold.

Wouldn't have been so bad, except there was a 2" line from a zone directly on top of it, the manifold to the right, and a 1" poly line from a drip zone to the left.

Took me way longer than it should have to repair.

This job was one of those annoying jobs were you find that the original installer skimped out and used valve box risers instead of full boxes, and of course, resting directly on the manifold :angry:

Also, they "saved money" by using 1" valves with a 2" mainline and 2" zone laterals... Looked funny.

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Heey Purp..I was getting used to your nice job pics..don't deprive me of them...Keep taking more please?AND it woulden't kill you other guys to take some pics to share with us irrigation impaired people either!Take your cameras!

BSME
05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I just got a brand new one... with 4gb of memory... i'm keeping it in the truck so stay tuned

PurpHaze
05-06-2006, 10:24 AM
another one from the same company... I'm just going to start calling them Rainscape...

Went to go start someone up... they were bitching about Rainscape and how they had them install it last year but are fed up with them...

front yard had three rotors but there was an obvious spot where there should have been a fourth... I went to check it out and found a wet spot.

The company had pulled one line through the 1'' right before that fourth head and doing so kinked it over so that it wasn't leaking too bad. I hooked it up and found that the fourth head had never been adjusted...

Sounds a lot like a large company here that really is named RainScape. We refer to them as RainRape. :laugh:

BSME
05-06-2006, 12:16 PM
haha... i know purp... that's why I started referring to them as rainscape...

BSME
05-10-2006, 08:00 PM
wanted to complain about my competition some more... I think i have to get out of the install business.

I gave a bid for an 8 zone system today. Two companies before me gave a bid of $1,650! I saw the bids.

I don't know how they do that... the permits, plumber, and labor almost costs a grand. The retail price on the parts for that job is more than that bid.

granted it said right on the form that the homeowner was responsible for permits and inspections but I dont know how they do it... there is no market here for the type of system i want to install (a good one).

anybody know how to call in job that isn't pulling permits?
seriously

Flow Control
05-10-2006, 09:00 PM
wanted to complain about my competition some more... I think i have to get out of the install business.

I gave a bid for an 8 zone system today. Two companies before me gave a bid of $1,650! I saw the bids.

I don't know how they do that... the permits, plumber, and labor almost costs a grand. The retail price on the parts for that job is more than that bid.

granted it said right on the form that the homeowner was responsible for permits and inspections but I dont know how they do it... there is no market here for the type of system i want to install (a good one).

anybody know how to call in job that isn't pulling permits?
seriously

8 zones for 1650, even if were all sprays WTF??? Stick to your guns on pricing and clean house on service and your service will get you more referrals which will just get the ball rolling.

jerryrwm
05-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Well, I'll go you one also about competition.

Submitted bid for an athletic field system. Had 110 - I-25s, and 20 - 2" valves.

I know my bid was a bit high at $40K, but the only other bidder came in at $24K. I probably could have bid it at $36K and made money, but the boss said run with it high.

I hope the other guy feels sick as hell knowing he left $16K on the table! And I will rub it in next time I see him.

Dirty Water
05-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Permits cost $100 here, and are only required in one area that we don't do all that many install's at.

We do a lot (I'd say around 50%) of installs on private well's, which don't require permit or inspection either.

We also don't need to have a plumber do our POC. Which is fine, because we do a higher quality tap than most plumbers anyways.