PDA

View Full Version : pawn shop score

lawnboy dan
05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
picked up a shindawia 272x for 75$ and it works perfect! this sucker is a powerhouse! a little heavy and has a manual feed head but i will load it with square .105 line and look out!:weightlifter: i really like the extra long shaft as you dont have to bend over to reach some stuff to trim. i almost didnt buy it cause of the weight but then i thought of what this thing cost new and couldnt pass it up

mcwlandscaping
05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
hopefully it wasn't stolen!!....if not, then good buy!!

newz7151
05-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Could you please post your zipcode and the serial number from that unit? Thanks.

jpp
05-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Could you please post your zipcode and the serial number from that unit? Thanks.

Lmao.:waving:

tcls83
05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I highly doubt that wasn't stolen.

LawnBrother
05-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Lawnboy Dan didn't steal it. He bought it fair and square, right Dan?:drinkup:
Good Score, man!

totallawncare912
05-04-2006, 10:57 PM
how used was it really faded tank real yellow shaft scratched all up cranks within 2-3 pulls? if not any of these good deal.

mcwlandscaping
05-04-2006, 10:58 PM
If it was stolen by someone else, he is still in posesion of stolen property, which is illegal

Eurosport
05-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Lawnboy Dan didn't steal it. He bought it fair and square, right Dan?:drinkup:
Good Score, man!

Attitudes like this are why theft is so high. People think that just because the didn't steal the equipment its okay. He might have bought it fair and square but 9 times out of 10 it was stolen property sold to the pawn shop and buyers like him keep the thieves in "business"

totallawncare912
05-04-2006, 11:20 PM
all the thief has to do is put it on ebay anyone look at lawn equipment on there lately you would be amazed i buy alot on there and really good prices too.

LawnBrother
05-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Attitudes like this are why theft is so high. People think that just because the didn't steal the equipment its okay. He might have bought it fair and square but 9 times out of 10 it was stolen property sold to the pawn shop and buyers like him keep the thieves in "business"

I don't condone stealing, and I would never buy something illegaly, or possess stolen property. I was offered a nice Toro WB that looked damn near new for $1000. I asked the guy how many hours were on it and if it was used commercially and I didn't like the answer I got. That mower was hot as hell. I didn't buy it. But the same deal pops up on ebay and how many people would jump on it without question.......
LB Dan bought that from a legitimate source. The burden of proof is on the shop owner as far as stolen property goes, as well as the responsibility to ensure that it isn't stolen. Once it goes on that rack with a price tag it's fair game. 9 out of 10 items that are pawned are stolen? If your theory is correct, then you might as well go ahead and say that 9 out of 10 pawn shops are in charge of theft rings. That's ridiculous. Pawn shop owners make most of their money on loans and the interest paid on them.

Dashunde
05-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Oh be serious... how many of you would actually provide your zip and the (accurate) serial? And if you did, what would you do if it turned out to be the stolen one? Give it back? Toss your $75? Hold it hostage until the rightful owner coughs up the $75 you just spent on it?
Some things are better left "unknown".

Alternatively, most of us would have kept our traps shut about buying it in the first place.

FYI... depending on the state you live, your pawn shop purchase receipt is your get-out-of-jail-free card. The assumption is that you did not knowingly buy a stolen item because it was sold by a "legitimate" business. In other states your just F'd if your caught with it... either way, most of the time they just confiscate it as evidence and send you on your way if you have a receipt.

FosterGroundsMaint
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I guess I'd like to think that people would do the right thing. Sure, you could keep it, technically, you'd be okay, but if it belonged to someone else, was stolen, and you bought it, it still isn't yours.

Morality trumps legality. Or at least it should.

lawnboy dan
05-05-2006, 07:27 AM
here in florida the police have a special pawn shop unit. they go check items aginst a list of stolen property and check every unit against this list before it is put out on display to be sold.

lawnwizards
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
here in florida the police have a special pawn shop unit. they go check items aginst a list of stolen property and check every unit against this list before it is put out on display to be sold.
same here.. had an echo 261t stolen last year. the police took the serials and checked them against stuff in the pawn shops. said the pawn shops are given a list of all stolen merchandise serials and have to call the police if they receive a stolen item.

meathead1134
05-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I picked up a dewalt curcular saw for $55.00 saw retails for $130.00

Rev. Crabgrass
05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
If it was stolen by someone else, he is still in posesion of stolen property, which is illegal

Not if he bought it from a pawn shop.

REV.