PDA

View Full Version : LCO's anybody can run one

South Florida Lawns
05-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Would you say this is true?

Back in high school I told my buddy to stop smoking the green and start cutting it.

Well today he owns a house, rents a shop, runs stihl, eXmark and Wright, nice truck/trailer too.

I'll admit he isn't the brightest of them and never finished high school, but he is doing well, I'm just kinda surprised how he started everything with no knowledge or experience.

I guess anyone can run and own a LCO.

1MajorTom
05-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Anybody can call themselves an LCO. But how many actually know how to run a business? Doesn't matter if it's a solo op or one with employees, too many i believe have no idea what their actual profit is.

qualitylawnmanagement
05-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Yes anyone can run a successful lawn care operation. My buddy and his brother(pot smoker) run a big lawn care company around here.

Jpocket
05-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Yea i'd say just about anyone, but once you get to a certain point it takes "Some" sort of business sense.

A crackhead can have 30 lawns and and truck & trailer, but you have to know alittle something to get and keep 130 lawns.

befnme
05-04-2006, 08:53 PM
i believe it takes a different person to operate a lawn company that it takes to cut grass . for example there are 20 or so people in my little community that mow lawns and are done by 5 pm but only a handfull of us that actualy dont clock out until 10 pm after doing stacks of paper work .

Idealtim
05-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Its not rochet science, and good help makes a world of difference.

topsites
05-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Anybody can call themselves an LCO. But how many actually know how to run a business? Doesn't matter if it's a solo op or one with employees, too many i believe have no idea what their actual profit is.

I agree, I see it everyday the guys walking around their cost / expense / profit / income thing is basically all whatever comes in or goes out of their wallet in their back pocket, no papertrail or nothing, they have an idea but they can't know for sure.

They do the work, cash the check and pay everybody cash then fill up the gas and gee if there's money left, that must be the profit or wait no that is income ok so then spend that and if anything's left then that must be profit?

Either way, one day the IRS may catch them and it's all over but there's so many of them doing it, somedays I half regret ever having gone legit.

.///////////////

As far as anyone doing it, yes and no. Many try and almost as many fail, just wait until July and 104+ heat indexes and you will see the map literally wipes itself clean, you will be one of VERY few trucks out there if you can handle it. Many more are permanent part-timers, there must be thousands who run out and cut a few lawns for some time, however long, just to get a small slice of the pie. It's all good, but to earn a living and to say this is your only form of income, and to be able to keep it up for say 4 or 5 years and your bank account not be slowly but surely draining, that I think takes some doing.

South Florida Lawns
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Not my friend.

He started with nothing at all never pushed a mower.

He is licensed insured and now is starting a fert program and all.

I would say he is doing far better than myself, which is kinda frustrating, since im spending all my $$ on a degree in business. Do I even need it? Its tough to say but all I know is I will probably be mowing the rest of my life.

Brianslawn
05-04-2006, 11:00 PM
around here anybody does run an lco.

got any new pics?

Cahsking
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
South donít despair. I have a degree in History, and would rather be out cutting, and landscaping from 6 am to 6 pm then paper work till 11, just to see I made $30. Itís the love of the job!!! I donít wish any bad fortune on any other person(s), because I donít know that persons financial situation. BefMe is right by saying there is a difference in 'cutting grass' and 'operating a lawn company'.

Surf'n'Turf
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, the are no proficiency barriers for entry to the industry....so yeah, just about anyone can 'run' a LCO. However, the guy that has exceptional well-rounded business skills will be more successful than the guy that knows everything about the details plants, turf, hardscapes, irrigation etc. but has no clue how to operate a business. A good business owner knows he can hire guys to do that stuff if he needs to. It's his job to commandeer, lead his troops and provide vision.

Brianslawn
05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, the are no proficiency barriers for entry to the industry....so yeah, just about anyone can 'run' a LCO. However, the guy that has exceptional well-rounded business skills will be more successful than the guy that knows everything about the details plants, turf, hardscapes, irrigation etc. but has no clue how to operate a business. A good business owner knows he can hire guys to do that stuff if he needs to. It's his job to commandeer, lead his troops and provide vision.

you been watching the movie Stripes, again, aint you.

lawncarepros2004
05-04-2006, 11:43 PM
around here anybody does run an lco.

got any new pics?
Man i gotta started taking photos....................can't beleive all the low budget outfits this year. Gee i have a pickup why not get a mower and some beer money accounts.:drinkup:

P & L Turf
05-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I guess anyone can run and own a LCO.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it is for you down there, but up here everybody and their brother has a company.:dizzy:

Popper357
05-05-2006, 03:16 AM
I've seen lots of new faces this year. Everybody has nice mowers and trucks, but I bet, a year from now, it'll be all new faces. I know who are the real players around here and it's tough to go 5 years without screwing up or selling out.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Man i gotta started taking photos....................can't beleive all the low budget outfits this year. Gee i have a pickup why not get a mower and some beer money accounts.:drinkup:

Dont you mean SUV. Cant wait to see someone pulling a trailer with a mini-cooper. I have seen one guy pull out a mower out of sliding door of mini van, I mowed 4 yrds around him and was loading before he was done with his $15 yrd. And boy was he whipped. He looked at me like WTF was that. He also had his 4 or 5 yr old girl running around the yrd.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
He also had a white poster board in bk window that said Johnny's mowing. I felt going over and giving him $10 to feed his kid. But then thought what the hell I have two kids to feed also.

topsites
05-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I've seen lots of new faces this year. Everybody has nice mowers and trucks, but I bet, a year from now, it'll be all new faces. I know who are the real players around here and it's tough to go 5 years without screwing up or selling out.

Yeah, they really do come and go, every year new guys on the block, every next year a few are left but most of them really are already gone come July-August (watch when the heat wave really hits, you will see).

ENDURO
05-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Speaking of being legit and doing all sorts of paperwork everyday, What kind of stuff are you guys keeping track of other than the expenses and how are you keeping track of them? Do you write them in a log book or type them up on your pc? Another question. This is kind of funny, but wouldn't be funny at tax time. I started saving all of my receipts early last year, but after sitting in a box for 12 months, most of them faded to nothing more than a slip of white paper, especially the gas receipts !!! Anyone else have this problem??

Lynden-Jeff
05-05-2006, 10:59 AM
The other day I saw an older dude (50-70) mowing some ones lawn and all his equiptment was in the back of his van. Now I know this is frowned uppon but the guy did a damn good job lol. I guess anyone really can run a lco!

Jeff

OMG
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Not my friend.

He started with nothing at all never pushed a mower.

He is licensed insured and now is starting a fert program and all.

I would say he is doing far better than myself, which is kinda frustrating, since im spending all my $$ on a degree in business. Do I even need it? Its tough to say but all I know is I will probably be mowing the rest of my life.

Yes, stay in school. I have a degree in business. Worked for 'The Man' sitting behind a desk for 16 yrs before starting up on my own. I hated every minute of it. I can always fall back on the degree again if needed. Plus, it's something that you can always be proud of and it cannot be taken away.

Do you need it? Maybe not, but's it is still good to have.

Good luck

Cahsking
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I saw a guy today pulling a trailer with a walkbehind and a 21". He was driving a oldsmobile Alero. WTF?! First thing I thought of was this thread, and why didnt I have my cam?

PMLAWN
05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Would you say this is true?

Back in high school I told my buddy to stop smoking the green and start cutting it.

Well today he owns a house, rents a shop, runs stihl, eXmark and Wright, nice truck/trailer too.

I'll admit he isn't the brightest of them and never finished high school, but he is doing well, I'm just kinda surprised how he started everything with no knowledge or experience.

I guess anyone can run and own a LCO.

Does he own a house- or just take care of it for a bank (any body can buy a house)
Is there any money left after rent?
Can he support a family?
How old is your friend?
Does he have health insurance. Does he have a retirement
If a wild fire burns all his grass will he starve in a month.
Sure anybody can get by today. It takes hard work - education and smarts to really succeed (in anything) and make a great life. Your friends outward appearance has little to do with what is really going on. Don't fret it.

Precision
05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Speaking of being legit and doing all sorts of paperwork everyday, What kind of stuff are you guys keeping track of other than the expenses and how are you keeping track of them? Do you write them in a log book or type them up on your pc? Another question. This is kind of funny, but wouldn't be funny at tax time. I started saving all of my receipts early last year, but after sitting in a box for 12 months, most of them faded to nothing more than a slip of white paper, especially the gas receipts !!! Anyone else have this problem??

my bookkeeper goes thru all my reciepts and enters them every week into quickbooks. very nice.

waiting 12 months means you have no idea where you are spending, losing or making money. Monthly lets me see trends, price increases, where I need to increase prices, drop an account or whatever before it is too late.

daveintoledo
05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
but not just anoyine can make a good living, succeed, as a businees in the long term, year after years...

thast why there are more new faces every years, and so many are missing.... most fail in the long run..

takes a business man to make long term success..

ocelot27
05-16-2006, 08:57 PM

Provide vision??? This isn't NASA or Diamler-Chrysler my friend - there's no "vision" other than that needed to see the grass that has not yet been cut.

befnme
07-03-2006, 12:27 AM

every night i do my expences and incomes in my accounting program . i print out tomarrows invoices . copy all of my pesticide apps. from paper to program . i update my register .i keep one just in case some one says " you didnt cut me that many times last month " i can whip out my register and show em. then write any checks to pay bills i have due. taxes included .

Sandgropher
07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
I think the area you live in helps some guys are getting 50 calls a day (plus)wanting there services, even if they lost all they new customers every week ,they would have more for next week........i get 5-6 calls a week from 2 ads.

But generally speaking most people can cut grass but the better business minded will have more success through hard times.