PDA

View Full Version : is landscaping/lawn care even worth doing?

zim bob the landscaper
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
ive been working for 3 years doing lawns, landscaping hardscaping, etc. and im getting some work very slowly. im just wondering if im to young to get accounts becasue all my customers say we are just as good as the pros i say thanks you, but i dont lay perfect stripes right now like there striat but not very dark/light. im just wonderuing if theres to many landscaping/lawncare companys to even get a big biz any more?
thanks in advance

Tight Angles
05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Your probably right. You should find another profession. Good luck.

P & L Turf
05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding you. Are you saying that you don't leave the lines straight or a clean job behind? :confused: If thats how it is, start taking your time and leave the job as best as you can. Because when you do good/poor work people start to talk , and that can either help you or hurt you. By the way how old are you? Are you doing any advertising or is it all by word of mouth? If you advertise by word of mouth and you leave jobs looking like crap, then yeah it'll be hard to gain new work. If you sometimes add those little touches that people don't expect you to do, it could start to help you too. I wouldn't go as far as doing things that'll cost you a lot of money or anything, just simple things like pullin some weeds or something while waiting for your guys to finish cleaning up or taking the blower around and blowing apart clumps/thick areas of cut grass.

topsites
05-04-2006, 10:31 PM
ive been working for 3 years doing lawns, landscaping hardscaping, etc. and im getting some work very slowly. im just wondering if im to young to get accounts becasue all my customers say we are just as good as the pros i say thanks you, but i dont lay perfect stripes right now like there striat but not very dark/light. im just wonderuing if theres to many landscaping/lawncare companys to even get a big biz any more?
thanks in advance

Sir, no offense but when they say you are just as good as the pros, what they are also saying is you are not a pro or at the very least they don't think of you as such. This may be ok with you and I certainly have no problem with it but all I'm saying is if you want to be pro, then pro you have to be, there is no in-between.

As for the money, man... I deposit at least a k every week, sometimes close to two and I average 5k a month minimum during peak of season. Technically speaking one should be able to gross 60k a year but I'm seeing 30k-40k or thereabouts, it's not bad but it has to do with how bad you want it, stuff like that.

As for the stripes, mine aren't black and white either, at least not most of the time.
But if you're striping then you have a commercial machine, yes? Does this not make you pro? I mean, I don't know but...
And if the customers are saying you are as good, then perhaps there is only a little ways to go, but you have to BE or not to be, that is the question lol

Hope I didn't offend, just bringing a customer comment to light. If a customer of mine were to say this, it would certainly drive home what they think of me... I might focus on quality and also how I carry myself, I just might walk around like my dookie don't stink just to make sure for a bit lol... You know, put a little chip on your shoulder and be a PRO from now on, if pro you want to be then that's what you do.

zim bob the landscaper
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding you. Are you saying that you don't leave the lines straight or a clean job behind? :confused: If thats how it is, start taking your time and leave the job as best as you can. Because when you do good/poor work people start to talk , and that can either help you or hurt you. By the way how old are you? Are you doing any advertising or is it all by word of mouth? If you advertise by word of mouth and you leave jobs looking like crap, then yeah it'll be hard to gain new work. If you sometimes add those little touches that people don't expect you to do, it could start to help you too. I wouldn't go as far as doing things that'll cost you a lot of money or anything, just simple things like pullin some weeds or something while waiting for your guys to finish cleaning up or taking the blower around and blowing apart clumps/thick areas of cut grass.
hey well im not saying i do a crapy job my dad says theres no such thing as a bad job. i alsways pull up weeds and such from the gardens. and also pulled crab grass from the lawn and when they said it they ment that i was as good i just said i always dont lay stripesand no id dont do much advertiding and im 14 years old and my brothers 17 also u got to think MCW has 20 somthin lawns and hes only one year older than me. i always try to keep to keep m rep up and wouldnt you think we would be fired since we charge almost the same as "the pros". i am not quiting im hoping no more people come into the industry. when im 18 im going to trucking school take tests so i can get my class A CDL so we can get two trucks so we make more money.

zim bob the landscaper
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Sir, no offense but when they say you are just as good as the pros, what they are also saying is you are not a pro or at the very least they don't think of you as such. This may be ok with you and I certainly have no problem with it but all I'm saying is if you want to be pro, then pro you have to be, there is no in-between.

As for the money, man... I deposit at least a k every week, sometimes close to two and I average 5k a month minimum during peak of season. Technically speaking one should be able to gross 60k a year but I'm seeing 30k-40k or thereabouts, it's not bad but it has to do with how bad you want it, stuff like that.

As for the stripes, mine aren't black and white either, at least not most of the time.
But if you're striping then you have a commercial machine, yes? Does this not make you pro? I mean, I don't know but...
And if the customers are saying you are as good, then perhaps there is only a little ways to go, but you have to BE or not to be, that is the question lol

Hope I didn't offend, just bringing a customer comment to light. If a customer of mine were to say this, it would certainly drive home what they think of me... I might focus on quality and also how I carry myself, I just might walk around like my dookie don't stink just to make sure for a bit lol... You know, put a little chip on your shoulder and be a PRO from now on, if pro you want to be then that's what you do.
noe offence taken man im open to all ideas. but i no im not "a pro" but i will be one day. i love working in landscaping/lawncare. so im gonna keep at it.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Zim bob there is definitely a such thing as a bad job. However, unless you have a striping kit on your mower you are not going to have the same effect as someone who does. In addition, the front of your blades should be a 1/4" lower then the back of your blades. This translates into the back of the deck being 1/4" higher then the front of your deck. This will help with the cut. It will leave it looking cleaner and it will give it a little bit better of a striped look. As far as growth I would say not to get to overwhelmed by that right now. You have plenty of time to concern yourself with that. You have a benefit that many others do not. Time. The fact that you are still at home, no overhead, etc. Take advantage of this. If you do good work the business will come. Good luck! I have to get back to work now.:)

zim bob the landscaper
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Zim bob there is definitely a such thing as a bad job. However, unless you have a striping kit on your mower you are not going to have the same effect as someone who does. In addition, the front of your blades should be a 1/4" lower then the back of your blades. This translates into the back of the deck being 1/4" higher then the front of your deck. This will help with the cut. It will leave it looking cleaner and it will give it a little bit better of a striped look. As far as growth I would say not to get to overwhelmed by that right now. You have plenty of time to concern yourself with that. You have a benefit that many others do not. Time. The fact that you are still at home, no overhead, etc. Take advantage of this. If you do good work the business will come. Good luck! I have to get back to work now.:)
ya i just came back from mowing and just go another lawn.:)