PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Strip

DynaMow
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
In my neck of the woods we call the turf between the road and the sidewalk the Devils Strip. What do other people call that area, and where did the term "Devils Strip" come from, what is the meaning? Just curious

topsites
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
In my neck of the woods we call the turf between the road and the sidewalk the Devils Strip. What do other people call that area, and where did the term "Devils Strip" come from, what is the meaning? Just curious

dunno but probably has something to do with when you're weedeating that portion you better look out for cars LOL

That's funny because I have a lot that's on a road with a sidewalk just like that. I went to cut it the other day and someone had took a BIG rider (at least a Z, I mean you could see this huge swath) and made two passes right near the road but nothing else... I'm like what is going on here and I kinda got mad because I thought someone's playing games with me, until I seen the median strip was cut also and then it dawned on me it must've been the county lol

ThirdDay
05-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I think they named it after an old girlfriend of mine! :weightlifter:

sheshovel
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
LOL!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mr mow
05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
tree lawn in my parts. its required to have one tree per house on that strip of grass,hence "tree lawn"

olderthandirt
05-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Devil strip because its no mans lands, technically the property owner don't own it as the city has all the rights to it, but its up to the property owner to maintain it for those gov. devils.

Always called them tree lawns

6'7 330
05-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Around these parts,its called a parkway. And lots of interesting things park by the parkway...and many very very interesting things happen sometimes late at night, by those things parked by the parkway lol.

P & L Turf
05-04-2006, 10:38 PM
About five years ago a local guy was mowing that just as a truck was hauling a car on one of those car dollies that has just the front of the car lifted, Well the car came off the dollie and was ghost riding down the road at about forty or so, and it blew over the curb and hit the guy mowing.:eek: Luckily he escaped with minor injuries as did the Dixie chopper, but the car was trashed. Maybe thats why it's called that. Cause one day you may meet your maker while mowing it.:)

lawncarepros2004
05-05-2006, 01:01 AM
over here in central oregon they call them there strips beuty strips.

1MajorTom
05-05-2006, 01:09 AM
I have never heard the term "devil's strip" before to describe that strip of grass.. interesting.

METRO 36
05-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Boulevard strip in my area, which i dont get unless you live on west boulevard

P & L Turf
05-05-2006, 01:41 AM
To be technical, here we call them the right of way. Something stupid the state of Michigan came up with.

Dashunde
05-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Call em right of way here also.
It basically means its owned by the county, city, or state.
It could also be called a utility easement.
Just some useless terms from my surveying days.

lawnsplus
05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Yep we call em.. the Parkway.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I personally have always called them the right of way. But a better term might be land mind. This is the area it seems all the beer bottles and aluminum cans, soup cans, etc. end up. A passer by might call it the LCO range, especially if your hurling things out your chute at them driving by at 50+mph. Just my .o2stupids

PGA
05-05-2006, 09:30 AM
right of way
parkway
common ground

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
To be technical, here we call them the right of way. Something stupid the state of Michigan came up with.

No it's not the right of way, it's where they build a sidewalk between the road and the lawn but then they put a 8 or 10-inch strip of grass at the edge of the sidewalk... What I mean is, every place has right of way which is an area 6-10 feet from the road belongs to the state, but not every place has this sidewalk with a strip of grass...

StBalor
05-05-2006, 03:12 PM
We call it the "Median Strip" Though technically it's not.

Sharp Services
05-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Here in Columbia, SC they are called "TheTree Zone" and the city is responsible for there up keep.

grass-scapes
05-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Around these parts,its called a parkway. And lots of interesting things park by the parkway...and many very very interesting things happen sometimes late at night, by those things parked by the parkway lol.

Why do you park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Around here, we just call it more grass to mow and more hard surface to blow.

Damian
05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I just call it extra edging...

Dashunde
05-08-2006, 02:01 AM
No it's not the right of way, it's where they build a sidewalk between the road and the lawn but then they put a 8 or 10-inch strip of grass at the edge of the sidewalk... What I mean is, every place has right of way which is an area 6-10 feet from the road belongs to the state, but not every place has this sidewalk with a strip of grass...

What?

It [I]is[I] the right of way, and its an area that is surveyed off (trust me, I used to do it) and marked with 5/8" Bar & Cap - which are also often property corners or "PI's" (Points of Intersect).
Rural roads often use often concrete posts, thin fiberglass lathes, or signpost metal with a little "RW" sign on it..

It does not matter if there is a sidewalk or not, the area is still a ROW.

Every single road that is "owned" by a government entity has a ROW, even if it is a neighborhood that is developed with private money.

topsites
05-08-2006, 03:56 AM
What?

It [I]is[I] the right of way, and its an area that is surveyed off (trust me, I used to do it) and marked with 5/8" Bar & Cap - which are also often property corners or "PI's" (Points of Intersect).
Rural roads often use often concrete posts, thin fiberglass lathes, or signpost metal with a little "RW" sign on it..

It does not matter if there is a sidewalk or not, the area is still a ROW.

Every single road that is "owned" by a government entity has a ROW, even if it is a neighborhood that is developed with private money.

Ok, yes every devils strip is part of the ROW but not every ROW has a devils strip, it's not the same thing.
It's like saying a bicycle lane is a road, it's not, it's a part of it. Some roads have bike lanes, some don't. It is a part of the road, but a bicycle lane is not a road because not all roads have it and a road consists of more than that, usually at least one lane wide enough for a car... There exist some paths that are pure bike lanes and it's also not a road thou you could call it that I suppose, but it's still a bicycle lane.
So a devil's strip is not a ROW, it is a part of it, it happens to be inside of that area, but it is not an ROW because not every ROW has a Devil's strip thou yes, most likely every Devil's strip is inside the ROW thou I am also certain in at least one case there exists such a strip just beyond the ROW as well.
The ROW is an area, depending on locality, spans several feet (6 to 10 feet, sometimes more) and belongs to the government or at least they can do with as they wish, even if you own it they can take it from you. The Devil's strip is a path of GRASS about a foot wide on the edge of a sidewalk right beside the road. Likely the government owns it but it doesn't matter, it's not the ROW thou yes it is most likely inside the ROW's area. But maybe it isn't, maybe it's actually part of the highway, either way it's not the same thing.
If that doesn't clarify it then I don't know what else to say.

Dirty Water
05-08-2006, 05:15 AM
We call them easements.

stuie
05-08-2006, 05:43 AM
naturestrip

Richard Martin
05-08-2006, 07:59 AM
What's a sidewalk?