PDA

View Full Version : wow, upkeep on mowers is expensive

mike lane lawn care
05-04-2006, 09:46 PM
i got home today from mowing a tall wet lawn, so i took the deck off the rider and scraped all of the grass off. then i think to myself "i'll just top off the grease fittings(my mower has 12 of them), i use up two tubes of grease. my mower has only 13 hours on it, is it going to use grease this quickly all the time, or was it not completly filled with grase before it left the dealer?

topsites
05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
i got home today from mowing a tall wet lawn, so i took the deck off the rider and scraped all of the grass off. then i think to myself "i'll just top off the grease fittings(my mower has 12 of them), i use up two tubes of grease. my mower has only 13 hours on it, is it going to use grease this quickly all the time, or was it not completly filled with grase before it left the dealer?

I keep telling you guys, you need to go over the entire machine before you take it out for the first time because it has been my experience the dealer's re-assuring words of 'shes ready to go!' are not meant for the true professional.

Your mower's grease pits were not completely filled with grease, while you're at it now go over the entire machine and check belts and everything, I mean connections and nuts and bolts and everything should be properly adjusted and have tools handy, too. Yes, the whole machine, nut by nut, check it all, you will likely find a few discrepancies you can fix before it causes a problem.

If you don't do it, your machine will be in for a warranty issue before end of month, that is unless you don't mind fixing it yourself or, maybe you'll get lucky.

This is another reason why I say it is best to start out with a used machine if you're new: So you can learn exactly how everything should be, so when you buy the new machine one year, you will know what to check and when you check it, how it should be.

ProLawns
05-04-2006, 10:12 PM
You used two full size tubes of grease on twelve fittings? Don't you know when to stop pumping?

mike lane lawn care
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
You used two full size tubes of grease on twelve fittings? Don't you know when to stop pumping?

they were the mini tubes, but that is still a lot of grease, and yes i know when to stop.

grassmanvt
05-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Yikes, if done on a weekly basis, greasing should take only a pump or two on most fittngs and on a couple four or five, at most. Otherwise, the joints were empty or the unit isn't being greased enough. I don't use two tubes on a big loader. Not even one.

6'7 330
05-04-2006, 10:38 PM
I think I here seals popping.

Richard Martin
05-05-2006, 04:02 AM
I keep telling you guys, you need to go over the entire machine before you take it out for the first time

I'll second this. The next time around it shouldn't take nearly as much grease.

i_plant_art
05-05-2006, 05:23 AM
too much grease is will have the same effect of no grease at all..... go easy on it 2 pumps and thats it max....

brucec32
05-05-2006, 06:01 PM
two tubes of grease! LOL

lawnboy dan
05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
get a full size grease gun-those mini tubes dont go far and cost $ tractor supply has grease tubes for $1 a tube

Idealtim
05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
If it takes that much next time, you have a serious problem on your hands...

OutdoorExtras
05-05-2006, 08:49 PM
I strongly disagree with "one or two pumps max". Many of the greased areas on a mower have no seals at all, so you should grease them until the grease begins to come out the far end of the joints. Then you can be assured that there are no dry areas and that the debri (sand/dust/etc) are being flushed out. I've run 4 ZTR's to over 2500 hours and have never had an unsealed bearing or joint fail (other than the one time I hit one of those nasty support tie downs for powerlines:dizzy: :cry: :laugh: ).