can you mow every 12 days?

guess what i told her?

P & L Turf
05-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Thats she's an IDIOT:laugh:

1MajorTom
05-05-2006, 12:57 AM
guess what i told her?
you said, "no problem, we'll start today." ;)

ALBsun1
05-05-2006, 12:58 AM
what? that you would do it? I would. 12 days is not that excessive.

Brianslawn
05-05-2006, 01:03 AM
i let the phone do the talking....

'click'

1MajorTom
05-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Well every business is different, but not only is 12 days too much time to let go in the spring, it really wrecks havoc on a schedule. One week you'd be there on monday, 12 days later on a saturday, next time on a thursday, then a tuesday, etc... besides not only that, but we are in different locations each day of the week, so if we pick up a lawn on our thursday route, then it automatically gets added to our thursday route, not backtracking to get there on another day.
I don't think it's really that lady's fault though, not everyone out there realizes how a lawn maintenance company is set up and run, she may have thought Brian only had 15 accounts, and could easily fit her in any time she wanted. :laugh:

Brianslawn
05-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Well every business is different, but not only is 12 days too much time to let go in the spring, it really wrecks havoc on a schedule. One week you'd be there on monday, 12 days later on a saturday, next time on a thursday, then a tuesday, etc... besides not only that, but we are in different locations each day of the week, so if we pick up a lawn on our thursday route, then it automatically gets added to our thursday route, not backtracking to get there on another day.
I don't think it's really that lady's fault though, not everyone out there realizes how a lawn maintenance company is set up and run, she may have thought Brian only had 15 accounts, and could easily fit her in any time she wanted. :laugh:

exactly. but only we have 15 or more, per crew per day. 3 crews.

cwlawley
05-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I would have said sure, every twelve days and charged her an extra fee...must be nice to be able to throw customers away like that.

rodfather
05-05-2006, 06:43 AM
If I am not inconvenienced by the prop being out of the way or excessive growth, I have no problem.

Charles
05-05-2006, 08:12 AM
I had this same problem come up yesterday. Long time customer says she can't afford 10 day cuts and wants me to go 2 weeks. I meet her half way for 12 days. I had a choice of either dumper her or she dumping me for somebody cheaper. Right now there is no way I can afford to lose anymore yards. Here, its the customers who are in charge. There are many LCO's just begging my customers for the accounts:rolleyes:

lawnboy dan
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
dont you just love these cheapskapes? i get the every 10 days here a lot

MarcSmith
05-05-2006, 08:24 AM
That is definitly a scheduling nightmare. I always hated going from the growing season to the dormant season as some yards still needed the 7 day schedule while others went 10 and others went 14.

I never looked at as throwing a way client who wanted to go to every other week or some other oddball schedule. Look at is an oppurtunity to fill that spot with a new client that will fit into your schedule better at this years fuel prices.

I tihk it will casue you some grief ultimatly as you will end up billing either 2 or three times a month(chance for errors), you may miss a cut once and you'll be off your normal route to serve this one client, which means you be going out of your way (extra fuel and time) for less money.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
10 days for $10 more. But if you have monthly contracts you dont have to go the 10 days unless you choose too during the dormant period.

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:52 AM

It all depends on the condition of the turf, some of mine (a few) are 2-weekers just because it's not what you'd call the greatest. For a 1-weeker it really needs to be fertilized and in this dry spring I'm having, sprinklered as well.

But you do have to be careful, some folks are trying to get over on you but there are cases where the customer is right and we have to pay attention because I've been wrong before and the customer said every 2 weeks and I was like yeah right and sure enough the grass just didn't grow that much... happens.

lawnwizards
05-05-2006, 12:58 PM
if i had my choice, i'd rather go every 2 weeks over 12 days. that way you can still keep the same day to cut and not have to go out of your way to cut it. also, i'd add about 60% to the price over an every weeker. ex. $30 per week would be $48 every 2 weeks.

AUHort1990
05-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Worked for a company once where I had some cuts every week some every 10 days. Took me forever to learn the route.

J&R Landscaping
05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Weekly or bi-weekly. Some ask for every 10 days but I tell them how I schedule my work and then he either jump on the weekly or bi-weekly route. All customers have a day of the week that lawn services will be performed. If it rains, the next day avaliable will be done and then I work to get it back on shcdule from there!

geogunn
05-05-2006, 02:48 PM
10 days? 12 days? as long as the money is right, I can work it out.

GEO :waving:

Brianslawn
05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
10 days? 12 days? as long as the money is right, I can work it out.

GEO :waving:

yeah... same here, but she was wanting in on the $30 special for every 2 weeks or $25 weekly.

i didnt even offer to do it every 12 @$50. she wouldnt have liked that price. :hammerhead:

jpp
05-05-2006, 09:29 PM

I agree with this. Right now I am on a schedule of every 4-7 days. So the yards I cut on Monday were hit again today. Some had growth of over 3 inches on them already. Now the yards I did on Tuesday will get done next Monday then again on Friday until my routes line back up with their normal day which will be the week of May 27. My Monday route will back on Monday.That is if I choose to cut on Memorial Day which I might not.

dtelawncare
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
This year I have been lucky. Had 3 cutomers ask for the 10 days to save $$$. Of course I addded a little more to the price they would have gotten. We have had a hot and wet spring here, so the grass is growing like crazy. We had a week of rain every day. The ground was saturated, grass got sky high. They all told me to make sure I get it every week from here out. I never adjusted the higher price.

nfarr
05-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I have one customer from last year that requested every 10 days, I cut her alternating mondays and weds. Because I only had 12 customer last year it was no big deal. This year I am up to about 50 cuts and it is a real PITA. However, she also gave me a rental property this year. I have added them to alternating days that put them fairly close the the regular routes.

Recently when asked to go 10 days or two weeks, I explain the them that we will not cut off more than 1/3 height of grass and that if the height is excessive we charge double the normal price as an overgrown surchage. I have not had anyone refuse to pay the surchage when invoiced.