PDA

View Full Version : Woman in this business

blkbutterflyy
05-05-2006, 07:22 AM
So i don't know if any of you have guessed but I am a woman. My husband and I have planned to start our business and I actually plan to do some work. I talked to my brother and he tells me that he doesn't picture me doing that. Its hard work and sees my husband more starting the business with another man. Whatever. I'm not a girly girl and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Have you guys seen any woman do this?:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

StBalor
05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
GOOD GREIF! a woman doing lawn work? Just kidding, it is hard work but women are doing it. Good luck.

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:14 AM
You'll be fine, don't pay them no mind but don't forget to add an invisible $5 surcharge for that comment from future customers LOL

If it makes you feel any better, we all get those comments, that one just happens to be unique to your gender but I call those the 'nay-sayers.' It is unfortunate but much as folks say otherwise, sometimes deep down inside we don't want to see you succeed so we say these things without thinking...

Don't pay it much mind, it's nothing.

cwmiller928
05-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I recently saw a girl doing some apartment complexes by me, and i drove by she was wearing a wife beater, with some jeans with holes all in them carrying a weed eater and smoking a cigerette., lol i laughed about that for awhile.

Lynden-Jeff
05-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Lots of girls around here in landscaping. I would hire one in a second :D.

Jeff

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
05-05-2006, 05:52 PM
I Am A Woman, Pretty Much My Husband Does All The Work (labor) He Doesn't Believe Women Can Do This Type Of Work Or Know Anything About It. Only When Someone Is Upset He Wants Me To Handle It. Go Figure. If It Was A Woman Doing The Work It Would Be Done Right The First Time. Lol J/k

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Yea..I see myself do it all the time.Because of the area I live in..mowing and maint did not pay for me..too far between jobs ..impossible to get a tight route and all the commercials tied up under contracts
with other companies.So I went into Landscaping only and have done very well at it for quite a few years now.On my own.

Kate Butler
05-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Yes, getting hot and sweaty and dirty and tired are all part of the package. But it feels really good to look at a completed job and know that it looks GREAT! Go ahead, get dirty, it'll wash off and you'll have a good time doing the work.

I'm a woman whose been in business for myself for 20 years this year. Says it all.

blkbutterflyy
05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
:) :) thank you for the votes of confidence. I really needed them.

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Congrats for your 20 YEARS in the biz Kate!
That is great and quite an accomplishment to be proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Runner
05-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Ok....group hug......:dancing: :drinkup:

thill
05-06-2006, 12:19 AM
YOU GO GALS <grin>

Our company was started by my wife and she is out there working with the crews every day.

We always have two or three more ladies mixed in the the 20 something guys. The ladies do almost everything that the guys do (some exceptions in lifting) and certainly do some things better than the men.

No doubt our prolific growth is due to our quality work. I reckon the ladies enhance our quality.

Tom

Evergreenpros
05-06-2006, 01:58 PM
So i don't know if any of you have guessed but I am a woman. My husband and I have planned to start our business and I actually plan to do some work. I talked to my brother and he tells me that he doesn't picture me doing that. Its hard work and sees my husband more starting the business with another man. Whatever. I'm not a girly girl and don't mind getting my hands dirty. Have you guys seen any woman do this?:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

If you're doing lawn maintenance it's not hard work. You aren't pitching bags of cement or digging ditches all day long, we run machines. There are many time/back saver devices out there to make it no problem for women to do this work:
1. Gate/ramp assist so trailer gate goes up and down with 1 finger
2. Lighter trimmers/edgers, 9 lbs
3. Hydro mowers with good control systems make running them a piece of cake.
4. Stander/ZTR mowers to reduce fatigue.

It's just a good idea to have these things even if you aren't a woman because it's dumb to lift that gate 15 times a day when you can spend $150 and kick it with your foot to bring it up. Try to minimize the non-profitable work like fighting with mowers, lifting gates, lugging around heavy handhelds, etc.

LawnTamer
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
My wife can out work many of the guys I've had work for me. I also agree about doin whatever you can to minimize effort, for guys as well. When I was younger we always ran the walk-behinds at high speeds-no sulky just jogging behind them. Now that my body is starting to wear out a little I say anything to make the work easier.

jordydme
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it's great if women want to the lawn work but I find it brutally hard on my body and I can't imagine that a lot of women out there would be into it...hey more power to em'.

parkeeee
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Some of my best cutters are women.

PMLAWN
07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
My wife has worked with me before and puts me and everyone that worked for me to shame. I see lots of women doing this, both maintenance and landscape, and for the most part they do a better job.
Is this hard work?? yes but I do not feel that sex has anything to do with working hard. I know a lot of girls that can handle it and a lot of guys that can not.
You will do fine. Good luck with the new business.

But we will still give you s#*! when you ask how much to charge:laugh:

6'7 330
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
We have five girls working full time for us this year,including my sis-in-law, and 3 of my nieces help out part time.Good workers, and o my sis-in-law also speaks fluent Spanish.I was reluctant to hire her at first,but she turned out to be a very good worker. And she and my nephew are now engaged to be married, so both will have a very good future in the company, eventually running it.

guven
07-06-2006, 08:39 PM

I have very close friend here which is girl, when I need help she works with me , she is hard worker, she does trim and mow also she does yard clean up raking the leaves etc.

if you feel doing it, do it. I think to getting new client , you are more lucky then us ( just my opinion)

Lawnboy112
07-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I've personally never seen this, but have heard of it. If women can get the same amout of work done, more power to them.

garth1967
07-06-2006, 10:07 PM

what a load of crude even girly girls can handle it.i have even heard of woman being doctors, plumbers,lawyers,carpenters and hell apparently some women are running countries .........amazing i tells ya:waving:

aussieflag

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2006, 11:46 PM
There are lots of women in the business here in MD. Keep up the good work ! Go for iT !! best of luck.

LALawnboy
07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
i think women can definitely make it in this business. i remember a couple of years ago, my girlfriend at the time (ex now) would help me if i was behind, and she did a better job than some of my guy friends who i would ask to help. just the other day, i was driving away from my house and i saw a woman mowing a house right around the corner. i slowed down and saw that it wasn't the homeowner, she drove a jeep grand cherokee with a trailer hooked up behind. very nice setup and when i later got home, i looked at the yard and she did a 200% better job than most of the people can do around here. good luck with everything.

garth1967
07-07-2006, 05:12 AM
my 15 year old daughter just helped me with a turfing job this afternoon and let me tell you when i see girls ,ladies,women etc work the more i just cant take crap from men :waving:

aussieflag

Sandgropher
07-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Its great for all the support for the thread starter blkbutterfly, but is she still in business? she hasn't posted for a couple of months, did she ever start ?:confused:

garth1967
07-07-2006, 08:06 AM
lets give it to these wankers that think women cant make it in this game

come on girls let see a show of hands

come you blokes[men ]lets get behind the ladies

aussieflag:waving:

JJLandscapes
07-07-2006, 10:02 AM
depends on the work... if sitting on a ztr anyone can do it
if you are planning on using a walk behind for 8-10 hours a day most guys cant even do it everyday but its endurance and strength not a pe nis that you need

Sandgropher
07-07-2006, 10:21 AM
lets give it to these wankers that think women cant make it in this game

come on girls let see a show of hands

come you blokes[men ]lets get behind the ladies

aussieflag:waving:

I for one love to get behind the ladies :o :o :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mblackburn
07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
One of the most successful lco in our town is run by a woman. She has a few laborers , but will get out there and jerk the mowers around the yard with them...stays in shape too. With the right equipment its not as hard as it is with a reg mower...but youll still get dirty. Funny thing is after you wash up and make a bank run I doubt that will matter :cool2: