PDA

View Full Version : Drip question

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
I have a system I'm maintaining, (not my install) that has 2 drip zones. One of the valves will turn on, but not stay on. Pretty sure it is because this particular zone has very little output on the drip. I understand the way valves work and know this happens, but have never run into it before. The valve was a Water Master (Home Depot valve) and I changed it to a RB DV-100. It worked fine after I changed it, but it's doing it again. What can I install to make this work properly? Will changing the top to a DVF and crank down the flow control a bit take care of it?

Wet_Boots
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Older Rainbird catalogs make a recommendation to install a fine-mesh filter upstream of the valve. And now, they sell that drip version of the DV-100, with its special diaphragm and seat.

I think the only certain solution to very low flows is one of those special valves with the 3-way solenoids. They will fully open, no matter what. Not cheap, and maybe available only in brass.

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Other option might be to increase drip emitters, or what size output, and if that works then cut back the run time.

Wet_Boots
05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, if you have discrete emitters, replace them. I think Rainbird's largest is 24 gph

Ground Master
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Dana- Rainbird makes a 3/4" and 1" dv low flow valve, something like .2 gpm for low flow drip zones. That may work for you.

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Install Dial-a-Flow shrubblers to replace the emmitors

SprinklerGuy
05-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I knew that was coming...not a bad idea actually in this instance....

I used to use the Hardie 700 Series 3/4 valve for this problem years ago before the advent of the "drip" (low flow) DVF....

DanaMac
05-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Well after being there 2.5 hours Saturday, I fixed it. Dennis from Ewing Supply talked to me on the phone for 30 minutes trying ot figure it out. He thought it could be a failing pressure regulator down stream of the drip valve. Couldn't see one. Just straight poly leading out of the valve and valve box. Finally after about 1.5 hours I dug up just passed the valve box. What do ya know, a friggin' pressure regulator past the valve box, buried - BACKWARDS!!! This was stopping the flow. Stupid SOB. Homeowner says he heard the installer is in an institution form too many head injuries due to dirt bike accidents. I just want to shout the big F word, over and over and over. Waste of my time.