PDA

View Full Version : Two Wheeled Sulky With Solid Tires Ride Quality

gadfreak
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know if I would have better sulky ride quality (Not as bumpy/rough) with pneumatic tires instead of solid? It is a Cub Cadey Pro Sulky Two wheeled on a Scag SWZ 61" Walk Behind. See pic...

Thanks.

happy Friday!

04TurfT
05-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I would think that you would have to have a better ride quality with the pneumatic tires because they will absorb alot more shock and bounce than the solid ones. I was wondering how the ride was on the solid tires? I'd say it's obviously more stiff, but its probly nice to know you can't pop them... Do you like them... pros.... cons...?

gadfreak
05-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Not fun but real rough and bumpy.

mcwlandscaping
05-05-2006, 04:09 PM
pneumatic will give better ride quality no doubt

i_plant_art
05-05-2006, 07:58 PM
pneumatic will give better ride quality no doubt

BUT will also give you more down time due to flat tires, and do lots of damage to clients yards due to those flat tires....

i got tired of fixing the flat/airing it up ALL the time so i wnet solid on the single wheel velke and havent looked back.

04TurfT
05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I will probly get the solid tires on my sulky as soon as my pneumatic tires give me any trouble...

Signature Landscaping1
05-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I ran over glass with my velke, phenumatic tire popped. Now i have to spend time gettin a new one.

webami
05-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Have you ever used J-Thomas. They have a two-wheel sulky and they offer zero flat tires which are the same as air filled. check them @ j-thomas.com.

topsites
05-06-2006, 12:17 AM
BUT will also give you more down time due to flat tires, and do lots of damage to clients yards due to those flat tires....

i got tired of fixing the flat/airing it up ALL the time so i wnet solid on the single wheel velke and havent looked back.

Get a bottle of that pink or orange sealer stuff so you unscrew the valve then dump a bunch in there (read instructions), reseat the valve and fill with air and spin it a lot or go ride it for 5-10 minutes to spread the sealer.

Always pump that velke tire up to 50 psi, you will know long before it is flat that something ain't right. That's not to say it never happens but if I fix a flat once / year, that's a lot for me and I got tire-patch kits and spare inner tube and more sealant and an air pump right in the truck.

Couple of cans of fix-a-flat ain't never hurt nobody either lol

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 12:17 AM

Well, wouldn't you stop if the tire was flat and take the sulky off? thats like trying to drive your car all the way home on two flat tires, just get the flat free tires for it

KINGjosh
05-06-2006, 01:11 AM
I have A similar sulky with solid tires, and the ride is actually quite nice!

quiet
05-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I hate the ride quality of the no flat tires. But we get too many flats with the pneumatic tires even with sealant. The no flat tires are too hard on the turf: too much compaction, too many tracks. Is there a sulky tire that's soft on the turf and durable enough?

grass_cuttin_fool
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I replaced the tire on my single wheel velke this year with a solid tire, I dont see much difference in the ride and no more flatssssssss

wayne