PDA

View Full Version : Huge blow up with "the Garbage Police"

Freddy_Kruger
05-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm working on a corner lot, Power raking. Everyone had their garbage at the end of their driveways in situations like that I put the bags of grass with the regular garbage.

So I had about 10 bags of grass on the curb already and was carrying more from the back the garbage truck passed and picked up what was there. So as I'm putting more bags at the end of the driveway a gabage man starts yelling from the other end of the cul du sac. I wasn't sure he was yelling at me and turned to get more bags a couple times.
When the truck gets closer he's still yelling, saying that I'm breaking the law, he can get me fined and so on. I yelled back at him that I'll put garbage wherever I want and I've never heard such laws. It was pretty intense, then his supervisor pulls up while I'm still arguing with this twit. He says now your going to get fined and he said, I took bags from here but I'm not taking anymore. (it's not my house and I wasn't asking him to take more bags as they had already passed, they were working their way around a cul du sac, I was just puttin gbags at the end of the curb)
I start talking to the stupidvisor and he trys questioning me, whats my name, do I own this company. Then I got rude to and told him its none of his business, that I will never take clippings to the dump. He actually told me he was watching another LCO a few blocks away and he's taking his clippings.
I pulled out my voice recorder and told him I was recarding this conversation (even though my batteries had died: I didn't know that at the time) and told him I would be filing a complaint agaisnt him.
The I told him the garbage man stole my property. I had a brand new role of gabage bags at the bottom of my pail, which was sitting upright at the back of my truck halfway up the driveway. I only had it partially full and was going to take it to the next job to fill it up there. He must have walked up the drive way pulled out the nearly empty bag then grabbed my role of new bags. I say tihs because everyone elses garbage cans when emptied were lying on there side at the end of the drive way while mine was still standing upright at the back of my truck halfway up the driveway AND they obviously had a beef with LCO's.

They told me several times (this took about 15 minutes)
Ppl arent allowed to have more than 8 bags.
lco's have to take away all clippings.
i can be fined and we must take away the clippings.
They tried to represent laws that dont exist the idiot gives me a tag that they put on garbage when they don't take it away as proof. I read it in front of him and it didn't say anything about what we were talking about, lol. he told me to phone them and that he was on the phone with his boss blah blah.

The supervisor gave me a roll of cheap bags that dont fit my garbage cans to replace what was stolen but i'm so choked I'm putting my thoughts on paper and am contemplating a police report.

I already filed a complant with the city who told me there were no such laws.

The background of this is that recently a company called BFI has contracted out garbage pick up it used to be city workers that did it and I guess they dont like LCO's in the spring clean up time and make up their own BS laws and try to intimidate us.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Here in Volusia county they have seperate days of the week they pick up garbage (Friday) Yard Debri (Tuesday). I know other areas are diff. Some of my Customers there pickup days are Mon and Wed. etc... I believe they legally have to seperate. I think the limit on bags here is 16 and no more then 50lbs. Branches can not be over 4ft and have to be bundled.

MarcSmith
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM
The garbage is being pulled by a private company. They private company has a contract with Homeonwer A, B, C, D...ect....In that contract it state they they will take X amount of garbage at such and such time...But at no time will they take garbage in which the waste was created by a comercial entity. In some cases it could be Old siding, old carpet, shingles, ect. In this case the waste was bagged and created by a comercial entity and thus as a result of the contract they have with the customer ABCD... they are not bound to remove said garbage....

I never bagged and left stuff curbside....I priced the debris removal in the cost of the bid. Iknow Id never want to look at piles of garbage sitting outside my house from a contractor while witing for the garbage guys to remove.

I do agree with you questioning authority though, the guy driving the truck is not he one making rules or signbingthe contracts. As if BFI(mind you around here they SUCK) is skimping on their contract , by not taking the wast witch was generated on that property, they just made some extra $$$... But if its a contract thing with BFI and their contract state they they are not supposde to take away comercially generated waste, you might be SOL....

Lawn Masters
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
thats exactly the kind of reason I have a little compost pile on my side lot. just dump it in, let it rot, in 10 years I figure it'll be a nice garden site.

cessnasovereign
05-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah that's pretty dumb but then again I too also wouldn't dispose of waste at a customers house unless they have woods connecting to their lot I can dump in.

topsites
05-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I have NO bagging customers.

No offense to anyone, but it's always more trouble than it's worth. Mind you, this is my 5th year and really about the first year where I have none (had 2 last year, several more the year before). It was a long and gradual process but I fought hard and I won, no more bagging for me, ever.

For those of you who dump on your own lot, that's cool because I did that for a long time, too. It's not so bad so long it's just grass clippings but eventually I added other stuff and the pile got big enough the neighbors complained (lol) so then I had to rent a dingo (200 dollars) and re-work the entire pile plus take a load to the landfill (another 40 dollar fee, nevermind labor and fuel). After that, I decided it was easier to take debris straight to the landfill and charge accordingly: 200 dollars per 6x12x2 trailer load (this includes all the labor, everything).

As for bagging it and / or hauling away? I don't bag, my mowers are Grand Toro Recyclers.

Jason Rose
05-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Well I didn't even get through all that... But I have to say, please be more environmentally conscious than this! The landfill is NOT where grass clippings need to go. Filling up the landfill with grass is a huge waste of valuable space and is exactly the reason that many towns will not collect green waste at all.

Let's not forget the money and time you are throwing away messing with bags.. Plus how horribly unprofessional it is to leave a bunch of stinky bags of rotting grass on a customers driveway. I used this method when I was 12 years old and cutting a few lawns for neghibors. even then, many times I would find ways to haul my clippings off.

CLARK LAWN
05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
freddy you are wrong! i worked for all three of the major trash companies(they kept buying each other out) over a period of 6 years. their contract is with the homeowner not with them and his lawn guy. and in some places there is a limit on what they will pick up (# of bags) here it was 10 every were except for the city which was unlimited but that was contracted through the city. it is illeagal for you to put your trash out with someone else's its no different than you putting your trash from home out with your neighbors. we delt with it all the time. it also makes you look bad if you can't do the job right don't do it. thats what makes the difference between at true lawn and landscape professional and a lawn boy!

Freddy_Kruger
05-05-2006, 09:34 PM
freddy you are wrong! i worked for all three of the major trash companies(they kept buying each other out) over a period of 6 years. their contract is with the homeowner not with them and his lawn guy. and in some places there is a limit on what they will pick up (# of bags) here it was 10 every were except for the city which was unlimited but that was contracted through the city. it is illeagal for you to put your trash out with someone else's its no different than you putting your trash from home out with your neighbors. we delt with it all the time. it also makes you look bad if you can't do the job right don't do it. thats what makes the difference between at true lawn and landscape professional and a lawn boy!
No I'm not wrong. Their contract is with the city and the city has no laws about grass or spring clean ups and no 8 bag limit either. BFI doesnt make laws they, like us, are supposed to follow laws. Every spring you can see sometimes dozens of bags at the curb or if someone is moving etc. But I am totally in the right and had it confirmed with the city. I reitorated my complaint today and and going to contact the city councillor responsible for waste to make it publically known that he has been made aware of BFI skirting the laws. I also am putting down my thoughts on paper and considering making it a police complaint. I'm really angry.

another thing a couple years ago a Gay mayor wanted to put an extra tax of a dollar a bag for every bag over a certain limit, he was voted out of office.

Freddy_Kruger
05-05-2006, 09:42 PM
it is illeagal for you to put your trash out with someone else's its no different than you putting your trash from home out with your neighbors. we delt with it all the time. it also makes you look bad if you can't do the job right don't do it. thats what makes the difference between at true lawn and landscape professional and a lawn boy!
Since when do know anything about our laws?

If you don't know what you're talking about you should really keep your trap shut.

HOOLIE
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
it is illeagal for you to put your trash out with someone else's its no different than you putting your trash from home out with your neighbors.

Seems like a bit of a gray area, I mean the grass comes from the customer's lawn, regardless of who cut it, it was their grass. Not like you brought it from home :)

I leave bags at the customer's curb, as do many LCOs in my area. I can't think of any customers that would want to pay extra for me to haul away when their garbage co. picks it up. Maybe just a regional difference...

Most people here are just happy to find someone that WILL bag on occasion, I could leave the bags in their living room and they'd still be pleased that someone at least bagged it :laugh:

Runner
05-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Gee, if THAT were the case, then BFI could just take all their stuff over to another company's area, and spread it out on seperate driveways down the roads. This way, they wouldn't have any landfill fees.:dizzy:

Freddy_Kruger
05-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Gee, if THAT were the case, then BFI could just take all their stuff over to another company's area, and spread it out on seperate driveways down the roads. This way, they wouldn't have any landfill fees.:dizzy:
I guess your saying that a LCO that bags his customers grass for him and leaves it is the same as a fleet of garbage trucks littering? is that what you're saying?

Runner
05-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Yes. In a way. I see your point, though...don't get me wrong. It IS the hoeowners debris..you are just cutting it and setting it out there. In all fairness, from YOUR standpoint, this is just like a cleaning company. Let's say the customer hires a cleaning company and they come in and do a spring cleaning. They clean out the garage and let's say,...a breezeway (as well as the house). They set out to the road an old lawnmower, two milkcrates, a few boxes of knck-knacks, some old sofa cushions, a broken vacuum cleaner, and old end table (that is worth $20,000 on the antique road show - lol), and a bunch of other stuff...let ALONE the the regular garbage (old newspapers, etc.). Well, at that point, again, the debris is the customers...whether it was drawn up by the customer, a service, or the customer's nephew's second cousin's best friend's sister in law.

ArkansasLawns
05-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Freddy take a chill pill and go cut someone grass. Put the effort into enjoying life and not trying to show the MAN who's boss.

CLARK LAWN
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
No I'm not wrong. Their contract is with the city and the city has no laws about grass or spring clean ups and no 8 bag limit either. BFI doesnt make laws they, like us, are supposed to follow laws. Every spring you can see sometimes dozens of bags at the curb or if someone is moving etc. But I am totally in the right and had it confirmed with the city. I reitorated my complaint today and and going to contact the city councillor responsible for waste to make it publically known that he has been made aware of BFI skirting the laws. I also am putting down my thoughts on paper and considering making it a police complaint. I'm really angry.

another thing a couple years ago a Gay mayor wanted to put an extra tax of a dollar a bag for every bag over a certain limit, he was voted out of office.
if you are doing a job that requires debris removal it is your responceability to take care of it. not just put it at the curb for the trash co. you are a contractor and therefore you are responsible for your waste removal. if someone comes in and resides their house can they leave all the debris on the curb? same thing just on a bigger scale. if you want to go to court with BFI (which no longer exsists its now allied waste) i'm sure they would be more than happy to make an example out of you

Freddy_Kruger
05-06-2006, 10:40 PM
if you are doing a job that requires debris removal it is your responceability to take care of it. not just put it at the curb for the trash co. you are a contractor and therefore you are responsible for your waste removal. if someone comes in and resides their house can they leave all the debris on the curb? same thing just on a bigger scale. if you want to go to court with BFI (which no longer exsists its now allied waste) i'm sure they would be more than happy to make an example out of you
I'm a LCO. I'm in canada. I don't need to take grass anywhere.

BFI is still a company, I just phoned them yesterday.

You are obviously a disgruntled garbage man, lol.:hammerhead:

KINGjosh
05-06-2006, 10:54 PM
you got lucky you didn't get a fine. They will fine you were I'm at for pulling that type of crap, but that does not stop me and others from doing it. You just have to be more slick about it. Maybe leave it out the day before or get ther before they do or something.

Killswitch
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Dude you were bombing that guy with an overload of trash and you know it.

lol

FFS....throwing trash is a crappy job. Second only to lawn mowing. Instead of all that hassle you should have slipped him ten bucks and he'de have thrown all your **** in the truck and everyones happy.

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 01:41 AM
you got lucky you didn't get a fine. They will fine you were I'm at for pulling that type of crap, but that does not stop me and others from doing it. You just have to be more slick about it. Maybe leave it out the day before or get ther before they do or something.
Seriously, I dared him to fine me.

I PHONED THE DAMN CITY, there is NO LAWS regaurding LCO not being able to put the grass at the curb. I checked this out. Maybe you americans have some funny laws like the one where you cant put flyers in a mail box and crap like that, but I checked this out.

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Dude you were bombing that guy with an overload of trash and you know it.

lol

FFS....throwing trash is a crappy job. Second only to lawn mowing. Instead of all that hassle you should have slipped him ten bucks and he'de have thrown all your **** in the truck and everyones happy.
It's a pretty good paying job at least around here, good exercise to so they can kiss my arse.

What I should have did was put all the grass in the back of the stupervisors half ton. bastads...

MTAYLORFFP
05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
:hammerhead: Bfi is the same here in my area, they have a contract to do the annex areas of memphis. They pulled similar crap at my personal house last year. I due all my monkey grass up out of my beds, each having HUGE root balls, and it was impossible to rid the ball of all dirt... Well I come home one day and they are still in my drive, not picked up as they should. I called and complained to supervisor that I pay outrageous fees for pickup and would like it picked up, he said "we dont pick up dirt" My arguement was it wasnt dirt, it is a root ball.. I believe I was in the right but I told him send someone out and I'd throw them in the truck.. Well the following week, my grabage can came up missing, imagine that, a coiencidence, I think not,LOL

CLARK LAWN
05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm a LCO. I'm in canada. I don't need to take grass anywhere.

BFI is still a company, I just phoned them yesterday.

You are obviously a disgruntled garbage man, lol.:hammerhead:
BFI exsists in name only the stocks were bought by ALLIED WASTE about 5 years ago. that was worldwide not just in america.

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 06:55 PM
. Well the following week, my grabage can came up missing, imagine that, a coiencidence, I think not,LOL
ROFL, your garbage can and my bags = class action!

DAMN I WISH I WERE AN AMERICAN SOMETIMES. :canadaflag:

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 06:56 PM
BFI exsists in name only the stocks were bought by ALLIED WASTE about 5 years ago. that was worldwide not just in america.oic, thanks.

and sorry for being a smart ass.:dancing:

MTAYLORFFP
05-07-2006, 07:41 PM
ROFL, your garbage can and my bags = class action!

DAMN I WISH I WERE AN AMERICAN SOMETIMES. :canadaflag:

LOL... yes I called the city of memphis and complained and actually blaimed the can dissapearing on that issue and went off on them too... Bad thing is that it took 2 weeks to get a replacement can.. Also I told BFI if they dont pick them up then I'd throw them over the fence into the major street behind the house and they could picl them up there,LOL.. Between our outrageous city of memphis taxes and 22.00 a month for trash pickup i expect better service... As far as garbage men gripeing about bags, not usually a problem with me, now I do fence jobs also and with old fence removal, you have to haul it yourself..

JT1304
05-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Here you HAVE to seperate yard waste from your regular trash. One county used to double the dump fee for mixed trash. Now they just make you seperate it. As stated earlier, land fills need no more unecessary trash. :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ed2150
05-08-2006, 10:21 PM
In my city it's actually an ordinance, all contractors generating any kind of waste must remove it themselves. The city won't pick up trash and garbage if they find out a contractor put it out, and the contractor can be fined.

BTW, as far as the comment about flyers in mailboxes, it's a federal misdemeanor to put anything into a mailbox that doesn't have proper postage on it. Although unlikely, fines and/or jail time could result. Around here, when the carriers find flyers and such in mailboxes, they'll take them and turn them in; you can then expect a call from a postal inspector telling you not to do that again.....

Freddy_Kruger
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
BTW, as far as the comment about flyers in mailboxes, it's a federal misdemeanor to put anything into a mailbox that doesn't have proper postage on it. Although unlikely, fines and/or jail time could result. Around here, when the carriers find flyers and such in mailboxes, they'll take them and turn them in; you can then expect a call from a postal inspector telling you not to do that again.....
Around here its the mailbox everyone wants teh flyers put in so they don't blow around. You can put anything in a mailbox from flyers to newspapers, cataloges...

KINGjosh
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Seriously, I dared him to fine me.

I PHONED THE DAMN CITY, there is NO LAWS regaurding LCO not being able to put the grass at the curb. I checked this out. Maybe you americans have some funny laws like the one where you cant put flyers in a mail box and crap like that, but I checked this out.

Well then that explains alot, your in a different world my friend! Down here, if a LCO does work at anyones house , he or she must take all debri with them, and not leave it at the residents house, they consider that the client pays you to take it. And therefore making it Illegal dumping.

Freddy_Kruger
05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Well then that explains alot, your in a different world my friend! Down here, if a LCO does work at anyones house , he or she must take all debri with them, and not leave it at the residents house, they consider that the client pays you to take it. And therefore making it Illegal dumping.
Well I wouldn't break the Law either there is a area outside the city here called East St. Paul. People move there because they don't have to pay city taxes but one of the many drawbacks in that town is that leaves in the fall must be in clear plastic bags and teh residents must buy tags from the town to put on the bags. I only have one eave cleaning job there and NO lawn jobs but I take the leaves back to my place and put them with my garbage. (legal or not)

Btw, guy form the city phoned me and they are formally making a complaint to the BFI contractor and will get a statement but at this point my temper has cooled and I honestly don't care anymore.

fulano
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
I guess I'm lucky. I have a garbage dump site with 4 or 5 large containers within 1/2 mile of my house. The county puts it there for the home owners to take their trash. I'm allowed 1 trip daily.

MTAYLORFFP
05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
we have one of those here also but its private, but its only 35-40 bucks for a 16 ft trailer full, which isnt bad.. I fit a whole 12 by 1 shed on it one day and took it there, in pieces of course

Mac_Cool
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Here are the laws in my town:

Town residents receive weekly curbside trash and yard waste collection of up to one truckload (6 cubic yards), and bulky waste collection of up to 60 pounds per item, if properly prepared and placed next to the curb. Trash and yard waste in excess of one truckload (6 cubic yards), and bulky waste in excess of 60 pounds are assessed "Special Collection" fees ...

CURBSIDE YARD WASTE COLLECTION is provided once a week, the same day as your regular garbage day schedule. YARD WASTE means vegetative matter resulting from landscaping maintenance, including but not limited to leaves, grass, twigs, limbs, hedge trimmings, plant trimmings, hay, straw, pine straw, pine cones, and shrubs. Loose yard waste should be placed either in clear plastic bags or reusable containers no larger than 32 gallons in size. All yard waste debris should be placed behind the curb. Limbs, hedge clippings, or shrubs less than 1 1/2 inches in diameter should be tied in bundles not exceeding 4 feet in length and 60 pounds in weight or placed in a reusable container. Limbs larger than 1 1/2 inches in diameter need not be tied, but should not exceed 4 foot lengths and 60 pounds per piece, placed with the large ends toward the street. The Town will not pick up any yard waste generated by a commercial or contracted/paid service.

Dupesy
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a private company nearby that takes any sort of trash, (household, yard waste, construction) and recycles it. Don't know exactly what they do with some of it, but they take it all. And it's a fair price to dispose of stuff too.

a Gay mayor
and just what does that have anything to do with it?:hammerhead:

LawnBrother
05-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I leave a bag of yard waste out in front of a customer's house from time to time, but 10+ bags?!? That's pushin' it a little. If I was that garbage man I would be pissed too. Bags of clippings can be heavy, and those guys have a crappy job to begin with.
Next time you have that much debris to remove from a customers property, load up your truck and drive it to a disposal site, then CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMER ACCORDINGLY. The garbage guys are happy, you look more professional, AND you make more money.
BTW, Kruger, if you're so pissed at this garbage man, why don't you just wait until he falls asleep, then kill him in his dreams?

topsites
05-17-2006, 10:49 PM
I leave a bag of yard waste out in front of a customer's house from time to time, but 10+ bags?!? That's pushin' it a little. If I was that garbage man I would be pissed too. Bags of clippings can be heavy, and those guys have a crappy job to begin with.
Next time you have that much debris to remove from a customers property, load up your truck and drive it to a disposal site, then CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMER ACCORDINGLY. The garbage guys are happy, you look more professional, AND you make more money.
BTW, Kruger, if you're so pissed at this garbage man, why don't you just wait until he falls asleep, then kill him in his dreams?

LOL but you are so right, I used to haul people's debris and clippings for cheap because I could dispose of it for free. But even that was a mistake I regret to this day: Hauling anything is NOT cheap, I think one garbage bag ought to be 5 dollars because we are not in the disposal business. Also, a 6x12x2 trailer (mine) holds up to five cubic yards of waste, I'm talking close to a thousand pounds just in leaves, it would be closer to 2-3 thousand if it was all full of clippings - Anyone thinks I'm hauling a ton of stuff for cheap nowadays gets a big surprise: 200 dollars for a trailer load, 170 for 3/4 full, 135 for 1/2 load, 90 for 1/4 load: Yes, this includes the labor for cleaning up whatever, in most cases.
And really that's a fair price, you have any idea how much a trucker wants?
Oh, you have a pickup truck..? Great, then load it up already.

And you know what happened?
1) I found my trailer stays clean a lot longer now, it's so nice not to constantly have to clean it again.
2) When I do haul, I get PAID for it. I have to drive this stuff and by the way, I can not point a magic wand at it to empty it, I have to unload it myself because it doesn't dump: This takes 20-45 minutes more labor.
3) Where I dump it's a commercial dump: $40 minimum entry fee, we're talking an 1,100+ acre plot of land that takes garbage from out of state! And no more nonsense, credit card please and thank you, and never a long line. In and out, please drive through.
4) As a bonus, twice / year it's free garbage disposal for me. See when I get a 1/4 load or some small bs like that, I unload it in my yard (an acre lot) and then later when I go haul my own stuff, that comes with and so the whole load is already paid for.

Much as it reduced hauling for me, I like it a lot this way.

Freddy_Kruger
05-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I leave a bag of yard waste out in front of a customer's house from time to time, but 10+ bags?!? That's pushin' it a little.
It was Power Raking man. Also I don't give a damn about hurting the garbage man feelings, it's a good job imo. High paying (as far as jobs go) and it's none of his business or his supervisors business either.

as far as hauling, one of my customers asked me to haul a way a small tree that he cut down i'm not sure it would have filled the back of my half ton but since he was my customer and I was going to the dump I told him He has to wait and I'll take his crap with my crap and charge $50 bucks. (I'm not even sure if commercial decals cost you more at the dump or not anyways) He said he was expecting about $15-$20 bucks... I was a little speechless and I never did do the job just because we were more than NOT on the same page but not even on the same PLANET.

Freddy_Kruger
05-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a private company nearby that takes any sort of trash, (household, yard waste, construction) and recycles it. Don't know exactly what they do with some of it, but they take it all. And it's a fair price to dispose of stuff too.

and just what does that have anything to do with it?:hammerhead:
Well thats what should happen to all garbage. Here we have blue bins and green bins and if every thing isnt just so they don't take it...

I refuse to recycle. They should take ALL the garbage and do something to reduce waste in landfill but don't drop it on my lap. I pay taxes for people to ponder what to do with this stuff and thats enough.

MarcSmith
05-18-2006, 06:25 AM
I refuse to recycle. They should take ALL the garbage and do something to reduce waste in landfill but don't drop it on my lap. I pay taxes for people to ponder what to do with this stuff and thats enough.

Ahh, now the light shines through....The "Its not my problem, or let someone else worry about it" syndrome. Its a real PITA when it comes to throwing away your garbage to toss the news papers in one pile and the glass, plastic and tin in another, separate from the other household waste....That extra five minutes is gonna kill ya every week. But ya know, canada has all that extra virgin land, who cares if they clear cut the land and put in another landfill sicne dolts like you refuse to recycle and help reduce the waste stream.:hammerhead:

Mac_Cool
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
They did ponder and came up with recycling. Grass doesn't get cut if you just ponder it and recycling doesn't get done just by paying taxes.

Recycling is so easy here... they give us two green tubs, they take newspapers, plastics 1-7, glass, aluminum & steel cans and we don't even have to sort it; just throw it in a tub and set it by the road. Quite frankly I would feel like a dirtbag if I didn't recycle.

Freddy_Kruger
05-18-2006, 10:29 PM
If you feel so strongly about recycling then go to the Dump and have at it. I don't recycle but I do think its a good idea I just don't like the way its implmented. sociaty is not reducing waste. waste is increasing exponentially. But you can put your head in a hole and pretend your little blue box will save the enviroment, lol.

grassmanvt
05-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Ahh, now the light shines through....The "Its not my problem, or let someone else worry about it" syndrome. Its a real PITA when it comes to throwing away your garbage to toss the news papers in one pile and the glass, plastic and tin in another, separate from the other household waste....That extra five minutes is gonna kill ya every week. But ya know, canada has all that extra virgin land, who cares if they clear cut the land and put in another landfill sicne dolts like you refuse to recycle and help reduce the waste stream.:hammerhead:

Thanks, saved me some typing.

Mac_Cool
05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
If you feel so strongly about recycling then go to the Dump and have at it. I don't recycle but I do think its a good idea I just don't like the way its implmented. sociaty is not reducing waste. waste is increasing exponentially. But you can put your head in a hole and pretend your little blue box will save the enviroment, lol.

I am powerless to change society but I take care of my little square then I don't have to make excuses on the internet.
Imagine if everyone did that.
:usflag:

Freddy_Kruger
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Imagine if everyone did that.
:usflag:
I think that it (the growing garbage heap) might motivate standardized inks and pakaging material that are all bio degradable. I mean in home depot they have biodegrable paper garbage bags but they cost a friggin fortune. If I didn't have the option, if there were ONLY biodegradable bags available, that would be a good thing. But I believe the blue box programs are a way to avoid what is really causing an enviromental castastrophe and that is many things, urban sprawl, over population are the two biggest things.
I think recycling is a great thing but not the blue box program. They should be sifting through all garbage at say THE DUMP! and making attempts to recycle everything and things that can't be recycled should be on a list to end its production or find suitable replacements.

greenecare_rep
05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Here in my little neck of the woods, there are no said laws but there are city ordinances regarding landscape contractors and tree service companies and debris clean up. If a homeowner performs the work then the city will pick it up but if a contractor is hired, then it is the responsiblity of the contractor to remove the waste. I always tell the customer up front about the ordinance so that there is not a question when the bill arrives and there are dumping fees on it. I charge dump fees whether I dump at the landfill or at my own location. Just common business sense.

Freddy_Kruger
05-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Here in my little neck of the woods, there are no said laws but there are city ordinances regarding landscape contractors and tree service companies and debris clean up. If a homeowner performs the work then the city will pick it up but if a contractor is hired, then it is the responsiblity of the contractor to remove the waste. I always tell the customer up front about the ordinance so that there is not a question when the bill arrives and there are dumping fees on it. I charge dump fees whether I dump at the landfill or at my own location. Just common business sense.
Does a law like that affect the small LCO negatively? I would think so, myself I don't have a choice I cannot be removing bags of dead grass, even if its just lawn care, my truck is only so big and I don't have a trailer. Not to mention power raking, lol. Jeez some jobs I had 35 bags of crap all piled up.

greenecare_rep
05-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I will be the first to admit that when I first started in business I would leave the bags at the curb but I started thinking about the professional image I wanted to create. Hauling off debris is kind of like hedge trimming, it is hard to charge enough to make it worthwild for you and not scare the customer away. Dethatching produces an incredible amount of debris but if I were in your shoes I would make every effort possible to remove the waste because I believe in the long run your good business name would spead fasters through the community. Not to mention you would not have to deal with the idiots in the Public Works Department.

Freddy_Kruger
05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I will be the first to admit that when I first started in business I would leave the bags at the curb but I started thinking about the professional image I wanted to create. Hauling off debris is kind of like hedge trimming, it is hard to charge enough to make it worthwild for you and not scare the customer away. Dethatching produces an incredible amount of debris but if I were in your shoes I would make every effort possible to remove the waste because I believe in the long run your good business name would spead fasters through the community. Not to mention you would not have to deal with the idiots in the Public Works Department.
I agree 100 percent. Even this year I really don't like leaving the lawn care bags especially at old ladies houses. I make them small and easy to manage because in most of my neighbourhoods you're not allowed to curb the garbage until garbage day. Removing debris will be in my future but not until I get some trailers I guess.

greenecare_rep
05-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Just remember that unless it was handed to them, everyone posting against you here started out the same way you and I did. With little to no equipment and help. As long as you are planning on improving your service and going the extra mile no one should have a gripe. Small contractors appreciate what they have earned. LCO's who are handed business just don't understand. Keep plugging along and good things will come.

MarcSmith
05-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Freddy

I oversee the solid waste and recycling manager here on campus as well as my landscape duties

Once the trash and recylabales are comingled(mixed) It takes much more labor and time and energy to divide it up so it is usable. On a house hold level, sorting at the curb, even after taking into account the fuel and labor needed to operate a recycling truck, its is still cheaper, safer, and mroe environmentaly freindly to sort the debris at the curb rather than sending to a landfill to be reprocessed.

Does the law regarding taking about the landscape debris hurt the small LCO, for someone who is getitng into the business and decided that they are going to bag the lawns, then that is the LCO's desicion and hence the LCO's cost to bear don't push the blame. The entry barries for getting into Landscaping are very low as it. and I have never seen any of the big guys leave piles of bags for the trash man to collect on their landscape jobs.

Let say outback steak house opens a resturant. and then I open a resturant. Outback needs to follow all the health and safety guideline. Since I'm not a national chain, shoudl I be expected to follow the same rules as the corporatelyy backed resturant? And Secondly, if I did not have to follow the same health and safetly guidelines, would you want to eat at my resturant?

Alot of us gripe about not being taken seriously, and havingthe customers not treat us like proffesionals. If we don't act professional, how do we expected to be treated as such.

Waste generates revenue, revenues help with the profit, profit helps growth, which in turn generates more waste...Its a circle...

topsites
05-20-2006, 08:04 AM
I don't have a choice I cannot be removing bags of dead grass, even if its just lawn care, my truck is only so big and I don't have a trailer. Not to mention power raking, lol. Jeez some jobs I had 35 bags of crap all piled up.

Right there that explains the whole problem.

Freddy_Kruger
05-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Freddy

I oversee the solid waste and recycling manager here on campus as well as my landscape duties

Once the trash and recylabales are comingled(mixed) It takes much more labor and time and energy to divide it up so it is usable. On a house hold level, sorting at the curb, even after taking into account the fuel and labor needed to operate a recycling truck, its is still cheaper, safer, and mroe environmentaly freindly to sort the debris at the curb rather than sending to a landfill to be reprocessed.

Does the law regarding taking about the landscape debris hurt the small LCO, for someone who is getitng into the business and decided that they are going to bag the lawns, then that is the LCO's desicion and hence the LCO's cost to bear don't push the blame. The entry barries for getting into Landscaping are very low as it. and I have never seen any of the big guys leave piles of bags for the trash man to collect on their landscape jobs.

What I'm trying to say is that for this year anyway, to make ends meet, I cannot be taking bags to the dump though I would like to incorperate that at some point.
what I'm trynig to say is that for this year anyway, to make ends meet, I cannot afford to take bags to the dump.

Let say outback steak house opens a resturant. and then I open a resturant. Outback needs to follow all the health and safety guideline. Since I'm not a national chain, shoudl I be expected to follow the same rules as the corporatelyy backed resturant? And Secondly, if I did not have to follow the same health and safetly guidelines, would you want to eat at my resturant?

Alot of us gripe about not being taken seriously, and havingthe customers not treat us like proffesionals. If we don't act professional, how do we expected to be treated as such.

Waste generates revenue, revenues help with the profit, profit helps growth, which in turn generates more waste...Its a circle...
WHat are you talking about?

1st - recycling might be cheaper for you but not for me. I will not soak bottles to get labels off or wash out cat food tins. Thats what they expect ppl to do here and there is a whole list of crap they don't take and end up leaving it. Not too mention on a windy day the whole neighbourhood gets littered with trash from uncovered blue boxes. You know what? if there is money in recycling I'll help mak it easy for by giving you a one stop shop. IT's called the DUMP.

2nd - as for your advice on how to operate a lawn care comp. well I am following the laws where I live. We don't have to take bags away and almost no one does and the few that are might be ppl taking advice from a place like this. I get treated with respect by a % of ppl and NOT by a much smaller % of ppl. That is just the way ppl are you could be wearing a policemans uniform and not get respect it has nothing to do with (or very little) whether you take bags away.
A lady yesterday told yesterday that she would do the trimming to save $10 bucks a month, I told her no because it would look awful (she is very sexy but is a biweekly) I have to trim first then mow and hopefully that will bag up most of the grass that was trimmed. So she agreed and I will only charge her $5 extra (you see I thought she was a weekly when I made her price) then she gave me her mothers lawn which is a weekly. The mother isnt quite as sexy though.:rolleyes:

Freddy_Kruger
05-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I think what I'm trynig to say is... I want to incorperate taking bags away, I think it would be a good selling point as not too many ppl here do that. During powraking season I will make it a customers choice. They might have to pay extra 10 bucks or something... I don't know, just throwing ideas around got a year to think about it.

I think I will recycle here to, I actually have two blue bins (been using them for storage, lol.)

DLCS
05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
BFI used to have the contract for the city I live in but we have since changed for the better. We don't have a choice here its whatever the city council decides. BFI was never that picky here though. You can have how ever much yard waste put out at the curb as long as it comes from the same property.

Dirty Water
05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Wow, I just read the first post.

WTF is wrong with you Freddy? Do you always get that worked up and carry a voice recorder with you? You sound ultra paranoid.

Freddy_Kruger
05-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow, I just read the first post.

WTF is wrong with you Freddy? Do you always get that worked up and carry a voice recorder with you? You sound ultra paranoid.
HEh, I carry a voice recorder to speak into while I'm driving if my phone rings. I don't mind talking on the phone while driving but I don't like writing. At first I tried using a ear piece and then I could keep one hand on the wheel as I write but its better with a voice recorder. I just repeat the customers information like I am writing it but instead I record it for later. I also record ideas or other things that pop into my head.

Now I just bought a Dell axim v51 pocket PC... it also has a voice recorder as well as mp3 player.

You have to understand that I also run a windowcleaning business which is quite a different dynamic than lawn care. I get phone calls all the time from ppl I don't know so I need to record their info.