PDA

View Full Version : Honda = SMALL ENGINES?

lawnmaniac883
05-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Ok so if you look on their website then honda lists a GXV160 for their 1200#@$! dollar mower. This is only a 5.5 horse engine. How in the hell is that supposed to perform as this industry requires? That completely dissuades me from buying a honda commercial mower seeing how they are probably gutless. Cant see myself spending 1200 bucks on a weak machine. Anyone else feel this way?

J&R Landscaping
05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I think the on;y thing honda cares about is being ohv and ohc. I don't think nothing else matters to them. As you can probably tell, I'm not a hinda fan at all!

jameson
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok so if you look on their website then honda lists a GXV160 for their 1200#@$! dollar mower. This is only a 5.5 horse engine. How in the hell is that supposed to perform as this industry requires? That completely dissuades me from buying a honda commercial mower seeing how they are probably gutless. Cant see myself spending 1200 bucks on a weak machine. Anyone else feel this way?

We have used 21" Honda commericals for years (we have some that are 10 yrs old), for my purposes (we need to bag alot of lawns) they are the best 21" trim mower out there.

The GXV160 has legendary reliability and is far from gutless, even the newly designed mulching blades work well, granted in the spring growth mulching is not an option in the PNW, however in the summer months we mulch up a storm. For what use a 21" mower for the Honda, w/the GXV160 is a perfect fit.

James

saw man
05-05-2006, 03:52 PM
It out powers a Briggs 7 hp!

I used this mower at full speed mulching all day and never had power problems. If you just look at hp number then you dont know what you are talking about.

Evergreenpros
05-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Just crank up the rpm's to 3600-4000 and it's a whole differnet mower. Honda sets their mowers to 3000 which is far below others, at least they did.

ACEMowing
05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Keep in mind that the commercial 5.5hp has a lot more torque that a typical 6.5hp engine... Hond arates the hp at the output shaft (sort of blade hp) where Briggs and others general rate the hp at the flywheel.
Also, we run the HRX machines which have the more residential OHC 6.5hp and they end up with about the same real power as the commercial 5.5hp... why? Well, look at the displacemtn difference on the commercial 5.5hp... it's a much larger engine and produces more torque. We get a long great with both setups. That being said, I think a Kawasaki engine is as good but the Honda mowers have a lot of cool features that I wouln't want to trade off.
For example, guys ask us why we use the HRX since it's not a true commercial... we use them because they are mega fast... you can go from muclh to bag with no tools... just move the knob. That allows use to mulch a whole yard and then reach down and put in bag mode to vac up any clippings and edging debris around the walks and driveways... we don't even have to use a blower on those small lawns. It's a real time saver!

6'7 330
05-06-2006, 11:42 AM
We mow close to 700, 500 to a 1000 square foot Chicago stamps, all with almost all Honda 21-inch mowers. The 5.5 overhead head value is almost indestructible, good and reliable. That said, the 6.5 kawasaki mounted on a couple Toro- Exmarks we have , unquestionably has more torque then the GXV 160 .Honda saw fit to redesign the mower somewhat in 05,I think a new more powerful engine redesign for the 21-inch would make an all ready great mower,even better.