PDA

View Full Version : Effective Advertising

Mad_Russian776
05-05-2006, 12:38 PM
From past experience, which method is more effective, placing fliers in newspaper boxes (next to mail box) or going door to door to houses with yards in need of work.

The pros and cons of placing in newspaper mailbox is that it is efficient in terms of being able to place more fliers in a shorter amount of time, but the down side is that it is impersonal and the customer may not acknowledge your message.

The upside of going door to door is that you are able to actually talk to the potential customer and sell yourself, but this is more time consuming therefore less fliers are going out.

What has shown better results for everyone?

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
05-05-2006, 04:36 PM
We Pass Out Flyers And Put Them In The Door. On The Knob, Behind The Mailbox, Open The Screen Door And Put It In. When We Pass Out 500 We Get At Least 30 Calls And About 25 Usually Sign For Service.

Flyers Totally Rock. Magnetic Signs On Truck Doors, Business Cards In Places Of Business (ie. Restaurants By The Cashier) Buy A Card Holder And Put Cards In We Got Several Calls That Way As Well.

J Hisch
05-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Everything is effective, you must do everything. Period. Far too often LCo think putting out a few flyers and they should be booked. Referral Based marketing is most effective and cheapest.

Az Gardener
05-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Networking I have found to be the best form of advertising. I am referred by designers, architects, other clients and even the nurseries and irrigation houses, I have even had other contractors send me work.

Freddy_Kruger
05-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I would never do the "door to Door salesman" thing you mentioned but... if you were a good salesman it would work.

Evergreenpros
05-07-2006, 01:46 PM
If I were to go door to door I'd go to homes that had nice yards not bad yards. People who have poor condition properties don't put much value in the benefits of having a nice yard. In other words it's highly unlikely they will pay much if anything at all for a person to care for their yard.

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 06:53 PM
If I were to go door to door I'd go to homes that had nice yards not bad yards. People who have poor condition properties don't put much value in the benefits of having a nice yard. In other words it's highly unlikely they will pay much if anything at all for a person to care for their yard.
People that are willing to pay for maintenience might be hard to find them home. But I agree to a degree.

I usually just blanket an area I'm not too fussy about customers as long as they treat me well. Mind you lawn care is a different animal than window cleaning.

Mad_Russian776
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
So far this season I've distributed 1400 fliers, more to go out soon. I have done this by placing them in the newspaper mailboxes, but have not had the response I anticipated. Three calls, two of the three signed up for weekly cutting and the third is still considering.

Based on what others say their response rate is, I'm lacking. I'm not sure why. I'm confident the flier isn't a problem, I modified one of team gopher's templates. What do you all think? Any ideas "outside the box"?

mak2
05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I think one steady customer in 300 or 400 fliers is excellent. You might be thinking responses. It is all numbers, I average one per 300-400, sometimes I get a lot of calls the night I pass them out, sometimes I never get a call from an area. It is cheap, effective advertising and you can screen the people you advertise to. I skip lawns I dont want to mow.:hammerhead: So far this season I've distributed 1400 fliers, more to go out soon. I have done this by placing them in the newspaper mailboxes, but have not had the response I anticipated. Three calls, two of the three signed up for weekly cutting and the third is still considering.

Based on what others say their response rate is, I'm lacking. I'm not sure why. I'm confident the flier isn't a problem, I modified one of team gopher's templates. What do you all think? Any ideas "outside the box"?

JT1304
05-07-2006, 09:38 PM
the door to door works well. Last week, a house I do in an affluent neighboor for a realtor was sold. While I waited for the yay or nay as to cut it , I walked over to the neighbor's and introduced myself. The wife was outside planting flowers and the husband struggling w/ a new walk behind edger. Igot the edger cranked and I got a contract on the yard. I also got his rental properties too. Lucky shot i guess, he also had a NEW john deere, with tags still on it, in the garage. Oh yeah, these are $$Million+$$ houses. Money to burn.:cool2: :drinkup: :dancing:

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 10:03 PM
People that are passing out their own flyers I think are much smaller scale, litterely at the begining. save up some money get 10,000 flyers printed (its a magic number flyers get real cheap at that point) make them full 8.5 x11 two sided and B&W. Have a adbag company deliver them they would probably charge less than 400 USA for all 10,000. thats like 20 days of you delivering by your self lol.

smcunningham
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
door to door has got me half of my customers.........other half word of mouth and fliers.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger
05-08-2006, 03:06 AM
I found putting my business card in the local golf club pro shop has worked really well I have got 50 jobs that way . I did the pro's lawn for free so I am way ahead .
The Lawn Ranger
Taupo New Zealand