PDA

View Full Version : RPZ's Watts vs. Wilkins

Green Sweep
05-05-2006, 04:58 PM
We have always installed Watts RPZ backflow preventers - usually 3/4" for residentials. While talking to my supplier, I learned that a Wilkins RPZ of the same size is substantially cheaper - $40 cheaper to be exact. I just wanted to get some input on why that is. I've had very few problems with the Watts that we put in & would be willing to try Wilkins provided that they are not prone to problems.

Thanks,
Rob

Wet_Boots
05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Wilkins seems to make decent stuff. They have a durable PVB (brass bonnet) and the RPZ seems to be okay. They probably are still using the same casting for both 3/4 and 1 inch RPZs. Their RPZ will need the same sort of disassembly that a Febco 825Y needs, come fall.

DanaMac
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't like the Wilkins or Watts because I can't find any damn repair parts for it around here. At least for the RPs. Right now I need a relief valve for a Watts 1" 009 RP. No suppliers here or one in Denver carry it. Has to be ordered.

Rainmaker
05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I have installed over 900 wilkins RP's in the last 4 years and only rebuilt 5 of them I switched from febco and watts before that I am 100% wilkins now and my brother in law is the febco rep in this area as much as I would like to give him the buisness I stick with the most reliable parts

koster_irrigation
05-06-2006, 07:55 AM
i prefer to install wilkins

have also used febco conbraco and watts

while testing the alot of the new wilkins 975's ive seen alot of the #2 checks failing due to
weak springs