PDA

View Full Version : what time do you stop mowing residentials

mr mow
05-05-2006, 07:24 PM
what time do you stop mowing residentials at night... all the way till the sun sets say 8:45 pm. seems pretty late since alot of parents probably put their young kids to bed around 8:30pm. just trying to get a feel for how late i can schedule jobs to. doing this partime and my fulltime i get off at 3:30, ready to start mowing at 4:15 want to get as many jobs in as i can.

04TurfT
05-05-2006, 07:44 PM
If I'm backed up, I will mow till dark... If I'm not I still usually mow till almost till dark just because if I quit at like 5:30, then there is 3 hours of downtime before it gets dark... I dunno alot of big companies I know don't mow after about 5 o clock... But I like it cause it ain't as hot at that time too...

Jason Rose
05-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Depends a lot on the neghiborhood... Some are just so peaceful and quiet, until some schmuck shows up at 7:00 pm with a blaring loud mower and blower! I try to always be done cutting by 5:00 or 6:00. Unless I'm behind bad, or trying to get some done ahead of the next days anticipated rain-out.

I wish I had a few properties that I could cut at NIGHT! Not that I have the need or desire to work in the dark all the time, but in the heat of the summer they could be put off till the dark hours when it's half cool out. Everything I have, including commercial, is all within earshot of houses...

MysticLandscape
05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I just got in now, I am forced to cut late everyday cause of school.

mr mow
05-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I was planning on mowing till 7:30 or 8, i have been warning some of my customers. i failed to tell some others when they signed that i will be there late.

topsites
05-05-2006, 08:12 PM
I try to get home before dark so I can get my maintenance done but I wouldn't feel guilty about working until dark for a minute either. It's that time of year, folks stay up later too and so do the kids, you have to do what you have to do to get the work done, so do that thing and don't worry about it, just don't work after say 9pm your stuff needs to be shut down I would say no later than 8:45p or so.

Have I worked until dark before? Shoot, somedays that's my only sign that it's time to call it a day, is when I can't SEE lol

GrassFearsMe
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
As late as it takes, then wait for the phone calls to come then you know to do those earlier.

dtelawncare
05-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Being part time I sometimes have to get as many as I can after my full time job. I have never had any complaints so far about cutting late. However, my girls have a 8:00 bed time, this means I try to get home before that time.

blakeg314
05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
today we worked until 8:00. Tomorrow we have 28 lawns to cut..

ed2hess
05-05-2006, 09:15 PM
More and more people in these Homeowner association areas are trying to get mowing stopped at 5:00 and nothing on Sat or Sunday. The big units and blowers are making a lot of enemies.

nfarr
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
For the past two weeks we have been mowing until 8PM, we do one or two mulch jobs, in the morning starting at 7AM and then cut grass in the afternoon. However, I would prefer to stop cutting by 5PM if possible, Rush hour traffic slows us down too much.

Jpocket
05-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I like to STOP around 4:00, B/c By then im tired and my guys are tired, and most ppl would rather not see us when they come home from a long day at work.

KINGjosh
05-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I'll cut till about 7:30pm, by that time I will already have done anywhere from 19 to 23 lawns.

mike lane lawn care
05-06-2006, 12:22 AM
i have one LARGE several acre property that takes forever. in the spring and fall i mow about 1 hour after total darkness. this is the prefered day for the owner of the "farm", so this is when it gets done.

ALarsh
05-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Latest I normally go is 7:30 - 8:00 pm.

dc33
05-06-2006, 02:03 PM
holy crap, you guys need some work ethic!
I start at 6 40 am and have been going to 9 30 at night!
gets dark around 9 15 so I turn the lights on my mower on
Indiana just switched to DST and in the summer it'll be light to 9 45 pm and Ill work every minute of it...maybe till 10 with lights :)

.....I "only" work 4 days a week though :)

ProStreetCamaro
05-06-2006, 02:16 PM
My question to those of you that work till 7 or later is how many lawns a week are you cutting and how many guys do you have working for you?

My father and I have 75 lawns we cut every week. On a normal week we are done by 2 if they are not calling for any rain that week. In the summer we are done by 12 or 1 and take fridays off. Then again we dont dick around like we see alot of LCOs do by stoping and takeing breaks and getting lunch and stuff. From the time we get in the truck till the time we get done we are going full blast as hard and fast as we and the machines possibly can. For example we have 1 neighborhood that we have 5 lawns in a row. 4 of the 5 are a little over 1 acre each and the 5th is 2 acres. The 2 of us can cut, trim, edge and blow off those 5 lawns in 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes depending on conditions.

nfarr
05-09-2006, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=ProStreetCamaro]My question to those of you that work till 7 or later is how many lawns a week are you cutting and how many guys do you have working for you?

We cut about 50. If that was all we did, we would only cut 2.5 days a week and finish at a reasonable hour. I send out a crew of two.

As a side note, I moved back to Ohio from Gaithersburg 2 yrs ago and know of someone who might be willing to sell their customers, they mostly serve lawns in Darnestown and Potomac. Send me a message if you are interested.

lawnprosteveo
05-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I mow until theyre all done...If that is 4pm great! But if Im behind and I have to go until dark-thirty...then thats what I do.

Killswitch
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I dont mow much after 4:30 or 5. I may this next few days since weve got almost an uinch of rain tonite and its 70 degrees....ugh.

I feel like a fool in my neighborhoods after five.

The type of clients I have sortof expect regular business hours or get it the next morning.

mr mow
05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
ok so called part-timers(and i know there alot of them) but some how we got off topic and got alittle more in showing one another up.it my fault i did not specify the # on the crew. totally solo! thats it! only mowing! and 36+(i only work 40 in my fulltime) hrs with a fulltime job! keep it real,please!

zero_turn_mowers
05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
We stop around 5-6 unless rain is calling for the next day then we run until dark on residentials and later on commerical.

Tim

Brianslawn
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
its been raining non stop almost. one night we mowed till after 9pm. we have done commercial before as late as 2am on multiple occasions. one night we mowed commercials through the night almost till sun-up when next storm was moving in.

Budget
05-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Trying to beat todays rain i mowed until 8:00 pm last night. I have a few that water their front yards and with all this rain that will hit us over the next few days i wanted to get them done.

ProStreetCamaro
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=ProStreetCamaro]My question to those of you that work till 7 or later is how many lawns a week are you cutting and how many guys do you have working for you?

We cut about 50. If that was all we did, we would only cut 2.5 days a week and finish at a reasonable hour. I send out a crew of two.

As a side note, I moved back to Ohio from Gaithersburg 2 yrs ago and know of someone who might be willing to sell their customers, they mostly serve lawns in Darnestown and Potomac. Send me a message if you are interested.

Hmmmm how many lawns do they have? We are just 2 guys and currently have a little over 70 lawns but we may be interested or might know somebody that is. I will send you a PM.

Rhett
05-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Try to be off of residentials by 1500. Hate when they start coming home from work or golf. Customers want to talk wasting not only my time but costing me money to have the employee sit in the truck. If they hold me up for a half hour that is 7 bucks in wages plus another 7 bucks in wages to replace that production time.

vkurt711
05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I was planning on mowing till 7:30 or 8, i have been warning some of my customers. i failed to tell some others when they signed that i will be there late.

I mow until 9:00 at night. I do tell all my customers the approximate time I will be at their property. Have not had one say no yet due to the time of day.

MowForLess
05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
holy crap, you guys need some work ethic!
I start at 6 40 am and have been going to 9 30 at night!
gets dark around 9 15 so I turn the lights on my mower on
Indiana just switched to DST and in the summer it'll be light to 9 45 pm and Ill work every minute of it...maybe till 10 with lights :)

.....I "only" work 4 days a week though :)

Thank god for DST. I am just using the tools and knowledge I am given...If you are ever down S.R. 135 and see the fog lights lights and hear the sounds of grass being eaten by a mower.....it is probably me. Looks like we got a couple days down time coming up unless you got a belly mower on a boat!

Brendan Smith
05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
i work until dark almost every working day. have to get it done while i have time. no complaints yet. i have also started as early as 6:15 at my far away properties, again, no complaints. in fact, we sing "good morning america, how are you" and substitute the town's name for america. have to do something to wake up till the red bull kicks in.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
More and more people in these Homeowner association areas are trying to get mowing stopped at 5:00 and nothing on Sat or Sunday. The big units and blowers are making a lot of enemies.

I have cut until 8pm before, usually 6ish is it. But i do like cutting later when the grass is dry and coolER outside lol

I think some of the problem is the very large companies show up with 3 ZTRs, 4-5 guy crews and they have 3 large machines going, edgers, string trimmers then at the end, which is like 5 minutes later, 3 backpack blower guys taking 10 mintues worth lol. Bymyself it doesnt take longer than 5 minutes to blow off ANY yard, i see someguys with 3 guys doing this and i swear its counter productive, 3 of those larger blowers do make a huge racket, i wont ever use more than 1 at a time unless im in a big hurry or its a large area.

StBalor
05-11-2006, 07:28 PM
When i gets to dark to see the grass.

HOOLIE
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I normally try to stop by 6 or so, just because I like to get home and eat and all that like a normal person :)

Worst part of this time of year...all these kids outside, must be spring fever. In the summer I don't see nearly as many kids out playing. But the last month or so of school they are all outside...