PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z-Master leaving mysterious stripe....

mhussey
05-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I have been noticing when I am cutting, the stripe I leave behind has a narrow stripe(maybe caster tire width) going the opposite direction than the large stripe. When it started this I sharpened my blades and still have the same effect. Just wandering what this could be. Any help would be very thankful.

mr mow
05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
check your tire pressure on the side that is cutting poorly and make sure it is the same as the other tire. just had this happen to me on my wb and one was 4lbs lower than the other, aired it, fixed problem till it leaks alittle more out

Idealtim
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Caster bent?

mhussey
05-05-2006, 09:33 PM
No I don't think so. I haven't jammed it into anything causing it to bend. The mower is almost new. It has 36 hours on it.

OutdoorExtras
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Check the underside of the deck for damaged edges or loose deflectors; also a large amount of grass built up under the deck could be the cause.

jameson
05-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Mysterious stripes? Sounded eerie, I was thinking you were making crop circles...:hammerhead:

James

ALarsh
05-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Its hard to tell whats going wrong from the description, but are your anti-scalp wheels too low? I moved my anti-scalp wheels down another notch and it was lifting the deck up at the heights I was trying to cut at. The deck couldn't get proper suction to the lawn and cut it well which resulted in it leaving lines in the stripe.

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Well, like I told a guy here the other day... my wierd reverse stripe effect issue turned out to be a warped deck. Not straight from the factory. So the blades were not hanging evenly in the deck. So I had an issue with the blade doing what I call "tail cutting".... meaning the blade was doing it's cutting on the back swing, which pushed the grass in the opposite direction of my travel. So I would have a backwards stripe streak inside each pass.

But, thankfully the person I told this did not have the same problem.
Turned out one or all of his blades were on upside down.

mowtech
05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Lot's of good advice posted here. A better description of the exact location of the stripe would be helpful. Pictures even better.

mhussey
05-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I pumped my 2 caster tires up a little and cut my own yard. It seemed to help a lot. I will see it does this coming up week. Thanks for all the help.

topsites
05-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I pumped my 2 caster tires up a little and cut my own yard. It seemed to help a lot. I will see it does this coming up week. Thanks for all the help.

Maybe it's a male mower, you putting air in the tires gave it some clearance whew!
Perhaps this is why sometimes my female mower leaves mysterious streaks?

Envy Lawn Service
05-07-2006, 01:46 PM

Oh... OK. If the PSI was not even from right to left, that could have been the issue.
If it WAS even from right to left and adding air helped I can tell you what is wrong.

DECK PITCH/RAKE

In my experience, short blade decks like the 48" do not like much deck rake and they are finicky about that. The reason being is that 1/4" of rake on a 16 1/4" blade is a lot steeper angle than the same rake on a 21" long blade. The ratio is...

1/4" rise in 16 1/4" of run
VERSES
1/4" rise in 21" of run

(think of it like a house roof)

I think it is mostly just that, and maybe the fact the shorter blades are turning a lot more RPM also to achieve the same blade tip speed.

Put it on a level surface, air the tires up evenly right to left, then check the blade tip height like this for side to side level by lining up the blades side to side.

( -- / -- )

Then line them up like this to check the front to rear rake

( l / l )

I bet you'll have to adjust this some.

topsites
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
( -- / -- )

Then line them up like this to check the front to rear rake

( l / l )

I bet you'll have to adjust this some.

Uhmmm that makes sense, it's the same reason my 48" sits 1/4" higher in the front than the rear, it does much better than with a perfectly level deck and if the rear is higher than the front you can forget it.

Envy Lawn Service
05-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Uhmmm that makes sense, it's the same reason my 48" sits 1/4" higher in the front than the rear, it does much better than with a perfectly level deck and if the rear is higher than the front you can forget it.

Yeah, I have found 48's do best with just a slight bit of rake.
Like 1/16" to 1/8"... just enough to reduce drag some.

But, I have never tried the reverse/negative rake...
Not because I doubt it works, but because of more front blowout.
That was my very first experience with reverse/negative rake on a brand new machine.
It had about 1/2" negative rake when I brought it home.
Can you say FRONT DISCHARGE mower?

But, I never considered that it turns out that mower also had other issues...
I'll try a little reverse rake sometime just for the heck of it...

mowtech
05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe Envy could be correct.The reason for rake is to make sure that the front of the deck or the leading edge of the blade does the cutting. If you have negative rake you will cut the grass more than once and use more power. Now if you are mulching it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in power because you are using power to cut the grass more than once anyway. Generally, with side discharging, the more rake, the less power. The limitation is that at some point you will notice scalloping because you are cutting lower at the center of the spindle than where the blades come together. This is more noticeable at lower heights of cut. This might be what he is experiencing. I also suppose that if you have too much rake you could loose some of the deck suction especially in mulching which could also cause castor streaking.