PDA

View Full Version : Worst stuck......

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Jesus.....So Im at a new customer, nice sub, million dollar homes with a builder installed sod job.

Made about five passes vertical on the front, pull up by the front foor where theres sod up to the home and no landscaping or hardscaping yet and my JD 757 sinks two feet in the clay.

So an hour and a 100 dollar tow bill later Im going again. I trimmed the overgrown thing while I waited. As Im walking to the truck with my trimmer the lady across the street comes and bitches me out for parking in front of her house. I was parked across the street cuz I knew I had to vertical cut this thing the first time. Or I was going too.

Then....unbeknownst to me there was two separate phone cables buried in the grass across his lawn in two spots in the back going to neighbors. They have been there since lastseptember. They are swiss cheese. At least two people and probably more lost phone and cable service. I notified the client and the neighbor I could tell lost service.

Get to the truck and a previous cut that days calls. I nicked some black edging I need to replace. The client I was to be at after the one I got buried at had called bitching that I was late.

I got builders, phone companies and cable companies doing shoddy work all over on million dollar properties and I get a call about a two dollar piece of edging, and Im an hour late.

Just one of those days.

Whats your worst stuck>? I wish I had my camera.

Oh....Im gonna park in front of that ladys house every time I go to this house now. I may even take my lunch there on days when Im not cutting that one.

Im thinking a big yellow smily face about four feet square leaned against my trailer facing this nuts house should go oever real well.

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Well see I keep telling you guys to PUT at least a 100-foot TREE rope in your truck, or some kind of a very long and strong rope but it has to be at least a thousand pounds test. Another way to say it is, the rope should be strong enough where single-stranded if you tie your truck to a tree, your tires will spin and smoke long before the rope breaks (but watch it, I usually lean WAY down in the seat when I'm pulling that hard just in case it does snap - you want your head and body way BELOW the window when pulling hard, back or front window doesn't matter).

Back in my first year or two I had my 52" in the ditch a few times and even thou it's only a Wb, that joker weighs 500 pounds and once it is stuck you are not getting it out any faster than the Z.

So, open truckbox and line up the truck and tie one end to Wb and the other to the truck and SLOWLY pull it out (you do have to watch it and be careful because once it is unstuck it will move FAST).

20 minutes later and never a tow bill it is still very frustrating, but I also haven't got one stuck in years since.
For one, I got rid of the 500-lb. 52" behemoth and replaced it with the 300-lb. 48" turf machine.
So it gets better with time.

Bonus: With that rope you can help someone out if they're stuck, might get you a fast 20 dollars but only if they ask you first lol

HOOLIE
05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Dang, you make appointments to mow?????

I almost always park in front of another house or across the street...makes it easier to blow everything off.

6'7 330
05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
I never have a problem with suck Z-Turns.

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Really sorry you had a bad day Killswitch
Really I am............Crybaby!...
JK really

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Good advice TS. I do carry a 25 foot tow strap I've used twice getting involved with those F'ing culverts. But I was able to get on the lawn since it was a commercial loser site I do.

The tow truck guy suggested at least a come along which made sense to me.

I dont make appointments so to speak but I have one eccentric client that needs to know when Im coming within an hour or so....

She's a lucrative client thats worth 400 a week between her and her sisters place so...ya know?

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I never have a problem with suck Z-Turns.

Well hell. If you're 6'7" and 330 you can pull them out by hand.

Heh

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Really sorry you had a bad day Killswitch
Really I am............Crybaby!...
JK really

:cry: Youda probably hooked your mantis tiller to it and pulled me right out.

lol

topsites
05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Good advice TS. I do carry a 25 foot tow strap I've used twice getting involved with those F'ing culverts. But I was able to get on the lawn since it was a commercial loser site I do.

The tow truck guy suggested at least a come along which made sense to me.

I dont make appointments so to speak but I have one eccentric client that needs to know when Im coming within an hour or so....

She's a lucrative client thats worth 400 a week between her and her sisters place so...ya know?

Yup, got one or two just like that, they are crazy and wild and hard to deal with but they always pay so good that they literally take the spot of 3-4 average customers. Hard to say no, just do the best you can and nod your head and smile a lot. I wouldn't park in front of the other lady's house on purpose (seriously man), but if my high-stakes customer said DO IT, then I probably would lol. NO do not 'help' your customer force you to park there dangit, just I'm saying if it happens but I would try and avoid further confrontation, it ain't worth it if you can help it.

I will give you this much: At least you had the sense and initiative to call the towtruck. By the way, I had my truck break down on me about a month ago, my tow bill was only 55, so it might pay to shop around for a tow place for some time into the future. Then again, I paid another 200 for a dang manual fuel-pump repair but I didn't know what the problem was and they did get it fixed that same day. One can only complain so much but in the end at least we both got ourselves going again.

all ferris
05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
I had a T200 bobcat burried over the top of the tracks. Those track machines will go through lots of muck but if you sink you can forget about it. Trust me when I say it takes a big tow truck to get bobcat out of a lake bed.

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 10:00 PM
The need for the tow truck was a no brainer if you saw this deal. Helen Keller would have known she needed a tow truck when she felt the mower sink and the clay flying off the tires was hitting her in the cheeks. Ugh.

The eccentric client was also my first client ever.....so. Theres just a lot of reason to stay on her good side.

The tow company is the fastest best in town and they are just the guys to call. I probably coulda got it done cheaper but ....

It's funny. I have their number in my phone book. I had it in there because I plow as well and figured there may be a need to call for a tow in a breakdown.

I never imagined having to call them to get the mower out.

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I had a T200 bobcat burried over the top of the tracks. Those track machines will go through lots of muck but if you sink you can forget about it. Trust me when I say it takes a big tow truck to get bobcat out of a lake bed.

Driver says he pulls guys with stuck mowers out all the time but its usually stuck skytrackers and bobcats.

lol

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh....the eccentric lady also gets a couple thousand square feet mowed around the home with the 21 inch mower and bagger so her dog doesn't get grass blades in her toes or on her feet.

:hammerhead:

Tharrell
05-06-2006, 04:01 AM
I got a Z stuck last year in a clay area that won't perk the water very well. It didn't look wet but when I got in it, the mower started swerving and I did everything I could to just get out of it. I got stuck big time. I tried everything I could think of including some things I would have done if it were my truck. What I didn't realize was, the castors up front were what kept me from moving because they were turned sideways. I called my friends at the shop I deal with and Brad came out. A little 100 pound mechanic pulled the front of the Z sideways and drove it right out! It was stck up to the hubs and I envisioned a tow truck because it was so far off the hard surface.
It's nice to have friends.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I got a Z stuck last year in a clay area that won't perk the water very well. It didn't look wet but when I got in it, the mower started swerving and I did everything I could to just get out of it. I got stuck big time. I tried everything I could think of including some things I would have done if it were my truck. What I didn't realize was, the castors up front were what kept me from moving because they were turned sideways. I called my friends at the shop I deal with and Brad came out. A little 100 pound mechanic pulled the front of the Z sideways and drove it right out! It was stck up to the hubs and I envisioned a tow truck because it was so far off the hard surface.
It's nice to have friends.

Only in Mayberry!!!

chevytrucks84
05-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I was mowing a place that had a broken water main last year and got a little too close and couldn't get the walker out for anything. I was by myself but had another walker on the trailer but no rope so i took string trimmer line between the deck of the mower that was stuck and the back bar on the other mower. I put somethign on the seat of the stuck mower so it could be in drive A LITTLE bit and slowly pulled it out with the other mower. Talk about using my resources! :weightlifter:

topsites
05-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh....the eccentric lady also gets a couple thousand square feet mowed around the home with the 21 inch mower and bagger so her dog doesn't get grass blades in her toes or on her feet.

:hammerhead:

omg... man lol, I hope you know eccentricity costs money. Don't feel bad, I have one or two, nothing like the grass blade thing but one is so uptight about weeds I can spray them weekly and RING every week at least one time... I just got used to it and tell them they have been sprayed and if asked when I say just the other day, thou I treat them once / month because that is really the TOP program and I don't want to charge more for nothing, not to mention it's not good for the turf.

Fiiiifffi omg noooo Fifi hath grass in the toes omg oh no lol
so long they're otherwise ok for the most part it's actually kinda funny