PDA

View Full Version : Your not cutting it short enough!!!!!!!!!

K.Carothers
05-05-2006, 10:35 PM
"Your not cutting it short enough!"

"2 days after it's cut, It looks like it needs cut again"

How many are hearing this crap this time of year?
The customers get the lawns loaded up with nitrogen from trugreen and think we are not cutting the lawn low enough.

kc

Tim Wright
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Just wait until the real heat hits and the grass is loaded up with Nitro.

They'll be calling the fire department because their lawn is burnt to a crisp.

BTW- why does everyone thing that nitrogen is the end all answer to every plant deficiency?

Tim

PTOhioMower
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM

"2 days after it's cut, It looks like it needs cut again"

How many are hearing this crap this time of year?
The customers get the lawns loaded up with nitrogen from trugreen and think we are not cutting the lawn low enough.

kc

Its that time of year again. I always try talking them into mowing every 5 days but usually no go. They want their lawn mowed at the end of the week so it looks good on the weekend!! Doesnt that just drive you nuts!!:dizzy:

dKoester
05-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Lots of people in my area are quitting tru green due to them spraying weeds instead of weed killer in the yard. I 've heard this before. I told them if I cut it too short the lawn could die when the heat comes. Then that could lead to them saying my yard doesn't look like it needs to be cut.

topsites
05-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Just wait until the real heat hits and the grass is loaded up with Nitro.

They'll be calling the fire department because their lawn is burnt to a crisp.

BTW- why does everyone thing that nitrogen is the end all answer to every plant deficiency?

Tim

Not to entirely disagree but one reason lawns get burnt when the heat hits is due to too-frequent cutting, not the nitro in and of itself.
Because I can turn a non-fert'd lawn to a crisp in the heat just cutting it too often.
As for it not being cut short enough, there is nothing I can do because the 4-foot deck will skru up their yard royal if I set it any lower, it doesn't exactly adjust to the contours so it would greatly increase scalping. But nobody complains with me, I got too many yards so I can't show up any more often than I do and that fixes it because it gets right tall between cuts and everybody is happy.

daveintoledo
05-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Its that time of year again. I always try talking them into mowing every 5 days but usually no go. They want their lawn mowed at the end of the week so it looks good on the weekend!! Doesnt that just drive you nuts!!:dizzy:

are you supposed to cut 50 lawns on friday????? you get cut when it needs it, and if its fertilized by you know who, they still need double cut on day 5

all you can do is double cut it if they dont want to pay for more frequent cuts, ...then there yard gets to look like a hayfield.....:dizzy:

Tim Wright
05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Not to entirely disagree but one reason lawns get burnt when the heat hits is due to too-frequent cutting, not the nitro in and of itself.
Because I can turn a non-fert'd lawn to a crisp in the heat just cutting it too often.

I know, what you are saying is also very true.

Tim

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 11:07 PM

I hear that a lot as well. Fortunately for me I have a two jobs worth 225 in total that want me to cut twice a week. Just cant quite get it done that way since I have other projects going on the first couple days of the week and no cut days....Gonna squeexe em in somehow twice this week. I need the money!

PTOhioMower
05-05-2006, 11:08 PM
are you supposed to cut 50 lawns on friday????? you get cut when it needs it, and if its fertilized by you know who, they still need double cut on day 5

all you can do is double cut it if they dont want to pay for more frequent cuts, ...then there yard gets to look like a hayfield.....:dizzy:

What is it exactly about you know who?? Do they just put way to much product down or is it just cheap chems that they use?? I have a few lawns they "service" and Im cutting 4-6"+ off the top weekly. I really could mow every 2 days. Its insane!!!!

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 11:24 PM
What is it exactly about you know who?? Do they just put way to much product down or is it just cheap chems that they use?? I have a few lawns they "service" and Im cutting 4-6"+ off the top weekly. I really could mow every 2 days. Its insane!!!!

The problem lies in the fact that they apply nearly two pounds of N before the lawns and or as the lawns are just coming out of dormancy making the first feeding just that.

2lbs N. as those two apps stack up in the spring.

Kaboom!

Evergreenpros
05-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Several new customers will tell me to cut it shorter when they start service. In about 2 months with proper fertilization and cutting height, when their lawn is deep green and uniform they don't mention height anymore.

I tell them the Washington State Department of Agriculture and the University of Washington Department of Agriculture recommends a cutting height of 2.5-3 inches due to our soil, weather and the type of grass that is in most people's lawns. Higher than 3 promotes moss especially in the shaded areas. I've found about 2.25-2.5 works the best, at least in this area.

Envy Lawn Service
05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Ahhh... I have lawns that grow 7" a week pretty often that are not on any "program".

If you lower the deck and cut it a shorter finished cut it just grows back faster.
Unless of course you cut it back enough to put it in shock.

Honestly, for these fast growing lawns, regardless of reason, I find the best tactic is to cut it back to say 2.5" early in spring as it is greening up. Then when it starts to grow pretty good raise the finished cut height 1/4" each week up to around 3" or so. Then when the spring rush hits, creep it up another 1/4" or 1/2" per week.

This seems to make the grass happy and keep it calmer. Heck I'll let it creep on up to as much as a 5" finished cut height if need be. Especially on sites where there is really no turf traffic.

Anyways, when things start to slow down, then I start working it back down in the same fashion. Nothing drastic. Just a little shorter finished height each week, down to a low point of maybe 3" tall, but no lower and not if we have slipped into a dry spell.

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Lawns going quickly from dormancy to growth hurts too. Theres never any happy mediums anymore. Goes from 40 degree days to 70 degree days and the soil warms up, topgrowth galore from a hit or two of N, the dandies go bonkers and it happens every year anymore.

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Lawns going quickly from dormancy to growth hurts too. Theres never any happy mediums anymore. Goes from 40 degree days to 70 degree days and the soil warms up, topgrowth galore from a hit or two of N, the dandies go bonkers and it happens every year anymore.

Yep... it sure does... it seems there is not a lot of 'transitional' weather anymore.