View Full Version : Tie wall Help

05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I know I know - I have a client who wants 80' x 6' tie wall. I have built them years ago, but I was wondering if there is a site that has specs for high timber walls and where the dead men should go. Wondering if I need a permit for this , I suppose I would.

05-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I can't help you with specs and really have to suggest the ol "get it engineered" line.

You should set the wall back 1 inch for every 12 inches of height and tied into the hillside with "deadmen" anchors 6' long... T-shaped tiebacks buried in the hillside, attached to the wall every 8 ', extending 6 ' back to a 2'wide T-bar. Stagger these deadman ... do not put them on top of each other.
Dont quote me on this but i believe you should probably have one tie back for every 17sq' of wall.
Backfill and drainage is just as important as a SRW.

05-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Depending on what it is holding back, getting it engineered may be a good idea and you probably do need a permit. I'm sure if you ask the building inspector he can tell you what you need. They make long tie wall screw like fasteners now. Much easier and faster than the lod way.

05-06-2006, 10:51 AM
They make long tie wall screw like fasteners now. Much easier and faster than the lod way.

explain please

05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
They have them at Home Depot down here or at a good lumber yard. I can't remember the name of them but no pre drilling And you can use a regular screw gun with a hex bit to drive them. I think they make them as long as 12 or 14 inches. They also make them for ledger boards instead of useing lags.

05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I think they are called timber lock.

05-08-2006, 08:54 AM

02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
no need to back set timber walls,they get fastened together