PDA

View Full Version : just starting in rural area

creedua
05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I have been thinking about starting my own lawn care business. But I live in a fairly rural area. and was wondering how to attract business. I would like a mixture of quality and quick jobs. My second question is how to bid on the job and still make a profit.

stumpjumper
05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
creedua, i'm in a rural area and just starting myself,town of 5000 3 miles away, town of 40,000 around 14 miles away. after some here get done chewing your butt out for being stupid you can find some excellent info here. a guy who goes by AllClear has a great system of figureing your cost. Barefootlawns is in my area and helped me a bunch on pricing, which is a very regional thing. i put adds in the local papers and have all the work i can handle parttime. estimating is tough starting out. i underbid a couple hedges pretty bad because of inexperience, worked my butt off for nearly nothing, but ended up getting all their work at good profits. i'm to new to give much advice, but maybe some local guys will help you out. do a search on AllClear.

SOMM
05-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite Creed.

Stump hit the nail on the head with small classified ads in the local newspapers. The papers usually get you a discount for 4 week ad placements.

For the rural areas we also recommend 18" x 24" corrugated plastic signs with "Mowing & Mtc. : ( your phone numbers ) ". Blue on white background or Green on white background are good inexpensive color choices. Get property owners permissions to tack onto their posts. These especially work great close to intersections and stops. Just keep your signs off of gov't property and sign posts, if you go this route.