PDA

View Full Version : Is 700 Dollars an hour Feasible for some clients?

projunkracing
05-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I used to be a member here years ago , I have long since sold my equipment etc, and am working for another guy as a crew leader. Ok here is my thing is $700 an hr feasible to charge on a house that is like a mil and a half? My boss uses clip software and puts down time's how long we are supposed to take and yesterday we were at a house that took us 3 hours versus his 1 hr he estimated. When we got to the house the customer came outside to show us where everything was , and my boss is telling me that she lied to us and manipulated us to the pointof doing extra work for no charge. He told the other white guy one my crew that she told he to continue to mow her house but he is not allowed on the property does this sound fishy? he also stated the he charges her 700 an hr and the she got 2 hrs free i dunno does this sound high or two much or what?
:hammerhead:

DLS1
05-06-2006, 03:46 PM
You can't be serious. That is way to low. I image a house worth over a million would get you at least $950 hour. I mow 1/2 million house all the time and make a lot of money. :laugh: :laugh:

projunkracing
05-06-2006, 03:49 PM
wow i guess it is time to get back into my own biz but the customer is filthy rich and my boss is saying she needs to payup even tho he estimated it at 1 hr and it took 3 what do you guys think?

jameson
05-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I used to be a member here years ago , I have long since sold my equipment etc, and am working for another guy as a crew leader. Ok here is my thing is $700 an hr feasible to charge on a house that is like a mil and a half? My boss uses clip software and puts down time's how long we are supposed to take and yesterday we were at a house that took us 3 hours versus his 1 hr he estimated. When we got to the house the customer came outside to show us where everything was , and my boss is telling me that she lied to us and manipulated us to the pointof doing extra work for no charge. He told the other white guy one my crew that she told he to continue to mow her house but he is not allowed on the property does this sound fishy? he also stated the he charges her 700 an hr and the she got 2 hrs free i dunno does this sound high or two much or what?

HUH? :dizzy:

projunkracing
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
so i guess you think it is fishy seems like someone is not being truthful

JJLandscapes
05-06-2006, 10:10 PM
almost every house here is 800k- a mill and under 5000k sq ft of lawn so i dont think house value means anything with what you charge more about how much grass there is

dougmartin2003
05-06-2006, 10:36 PM
i wouldnt unload my home cheapo push mower for under $850 per hour

dougmartin2003
05-06-2006, 10:37 PM
thats funny right there,i dont care who ya are

topsites
05-06-2006, 10:46 PM
omg you stinkin' low-ballers, this is outrageous !!! :angry:

How dare you people do anything for less than $1,600.00 / hour, how do you even cover your bare basic costs ?!!?

... I think the thread-starter has been away for a bit too long, if you ask me.

ALarsh
05-06-2006, 10:54 PM
$1500 / hr is my minimum for just mow, trim blow and go. For me to spend time and do good work, its $2,000 / hour.

dougmartin2003
05-06-2006, 10:55 PM
yeah with the price of gas i was thinking about raising my prices to $1200 per hour. i cant live off anything lower

Soupy
05-06-2006, 11:11 PM

So he really only charged her $233.333 per hour since the job lasted 3 hours. How many guys are on this crew? If you have 4 guys on this crew then that is 12 man hours which works out to $58.333 per man hour. That sounds about right.

I'm baffled at the $700/hr unless he has 10 or more crew members on that job.

DLS1
05-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Now you guys got me thinking. I need to work at $2 million houses so I can get $1,500 per hour and even then I am still lowballing you guys. I should pick up every house I give an estimate since i would be the cheapest.

jameson
05-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Now you guys got me thinking. I need to work at $2 million houses so I can get $1,500 per hour and even then I am still lowballing you guys. I should pick up every house I give an estimate since i would be the cheapest.

It is this kinda of mentality that is bringing down this entire industry. Dont come b*tchin' to us when someone is willing to do the same job that you were doing @ $1500 per hour for $1200.

Oy! Where will it end? Next thing ya know we will all be working for $65 per hour :waving: .

James

DLS1
05-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Oy! Where will it end? Next thing ya know we will all be working for $65 per hour :waving: .

James

$65 hour. Your kidding. I hear that you can't even hire illegals for that anymore. I got to make profit. I would really struggle to keep food on the table at $1,200 hour with all my expenses.

TURF DOCTOR
05-07-2006, 01:43 AM
lol the best way to get work in high end areas is tell the customer first thing your 1500 an hour rate.

cessnasovereign
05-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Damn some of you guys are pretty expensive! I never thought I was a lowballer at $375 an hour until I read this thread!!! :(

jbone
05-07-2006, 03:46 AM
You are all insane

KCLandscape
05-07-2006, 04:28 AM
1500/hr...
Whatever... Accoridibg to my setup ( 40 per guy and 50 f0r the foreman)
You have dumb customers, and make us all look bad.

What kind of work??

Brianslawn
05-07-2006, 05:29 AM
dam scrubs! we get 2995 an hr. but thats cause we're professional. some guys around here are so desperate for work they only charge $1800 an hr. can you belive that. no wonder they are on food stamps!

lawnrangeralaska
05-07-2006, 05:40 AM
wow i charge 120 a hour i am a scrub btw

mr mow
05-07-2006, 06:03 AM
dont mean to be the jerk(maybe its just me) but when your asking a question please put together a coherant sentence. please make sense. not ripping on you at all, it can just be to hard to follow sometimes.(for those of you about to rip on me, nobody is perfect............but you get what im trying to say,gramtically{I KNOW SPELLED WRONG}if you put the sentence together properly then it will make sense< spelled right or not

DLS1
05-07-2006, 11:40 AM
This is a good thread for others to see that every part of the country charges different per hour.

Alaska is the cheapest at $120 hour.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Did this thread happen to go back in time. Like to the 70's-early 80's? I thought we were all working for $7-8/hr. reflecting how prices keep going down while inflation is well$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

lawnmaniac883
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Wow, I cant believe alaska is only at 120/hour. No wonder so many commit suicide making that little!

In Florida the going rate is 2253/hour and if you wear professional clothes and have bus. cards then you get 3228/hour. Freaking lowballing basteds.

dougmartin2003
05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
well living in north missouri where 99% of the people are tightasses i can only get $1200 per hour

MMLawn
05-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Okay, so at your bosses rate of $700 an hour for a $1M property.....I have a commercial property that is on the tax books at $65M which means I should be charging them $45,500.00 an hour!

DANG IT!! I've only been hitting them for $40,000.00 an hour too!!

projunkracing
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
well i thought he was joking i never thought lawn care cost that much so what is the average normal going rate per hour would you all say i am not trying to be ignorant but maybe I should get back into lawn care

JT1304
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
i wouldnt unload my home cheapo push mower for under $850 per hour

That's funnier than a midget getting kicked in the nuts.:laugh:

ALarsh
05-07-2006, 11:07 PM
well i thought he was joking i never thought lawn care cost that much so what is the average normal going rate per hour would you all say i am not trying to be ignorant but maybe I should get back into lawn care
Basic shrub work is billed at $1,500 / hour.
Mulch at $1,750 / hour.
I don't give an hourly mowing rate, but it averages out to right around $1,900/ hour.

Soupy
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM

How many workers is on this property when he is billing her $700/hr. Surely he isn't billing her $700/man hr.

I can understand how everyone is confused because you never mentioned the number of employee's, but they are all yanking your chain.

None the less $700/hr is very high unless he has 10 or more employees on this property which seems unlikely. The $700 for 3 hours would be about right if you had 4 guys on the crew. What exactly was the work to be performed?

As to the going rate for lawn maintenance (mowing) is anywhere from $35 - $75 per man hr. With the lowballers going as low as $10/man hr.

Per man hour is what you charge for each worker on the job.

projunkracing
05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
The basic mowing trimming,edging , and blowing is really all that we are to do . I have 3 Guys on my Crew Myself a mexican and and another white boy is the crew.

Soupy
05-07-2006, 11:59 PM
The basic mowing trimming,edging , and blowing is really all that we are to do . I have 3 Guys on my Crew Myself a mexican and and another white boy is the crew.

So he charges this lady $700 per cut and only allows 1 hour ( 3 man hours). I imagine he doesn't charge her by the hour, but by the job. I think it's safe to say he is yanking your chain or you have your facts wrong. $700 for 3 man hours is way to high for lawn maintenance.

I was under the assumption that you were performing other work besides mowing since she duped you into doing things your employer did not plan for. A simple weekly mowing is pretty straight forward.

Soupy
05-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Maybe he meant he is going to charge her $700 since she had you do other work and you guys were there 3 hours which equals 9 man hours. That would be $77.77 per billable hour. Depending on the work it might be in line with your area. What exactly did she talk you guys into doing other then the mowing? Did you haul anything away?

projunkracing
05-08-2006, 12:17 AM
well he says she duped me into doing more yard than was estimated. He always writes down notes for our clients and on this yard he wrote down that we were to take front yard clippings to the truck and back yard ones to a compost area. well the compost area was 300 + ft away so that took time and he said she talked us into cutting outside of her property i dunno . all i know was it was tons of triming edging, and lots of grass as well as trees and obsticles .he is tellin me it is my job as crew leader to get it done in that time but how do i make it happen if it doesn not seem feasible?....

Soupy
05-08-2006, 12:34 AM
well he says she duped me into doing more yard than was estimated. He always writes down notes for our clients and on this yard he wrote down that we were to take front yard clippings to the truck and back yard ones to a compost area. well the compost area was 300 + ft away so that took time and he said she talked us into cutting outside of her property i dunno . all i know was it was tons of triming edging, and lots of grass as well as trees and obsticles .he is tellin me it is my job as crew leader to get it done in that time but how do i make it happen if it doesn not seem feasible?....

It sounds like he way under estimated the time unless you and your crew are milking the clock. It doesn't sound like she talked you into an extra 6 man hours of work.

projunkracing
05-08-2006, 08:24 AM
yeah i thought he way underestimated bc it what he said was true i maybe cut an xtra 10 ft . I dunno i worked te whole time and it did not seam feasible to me . Ten he complained that I did not call him ,bu was calling going to make the grass get cut faster???? I didn't think so also I have 3 Scags 2 36",and a 48" but he is to cheap to buy a zeroturn . He sucks.

Sean Adams
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
As soupy said, there is probably some sort of mistake as far as what he charges...3 guys, 2 36 inch mowers and a 48 inch mower, $700 for a cut...something is not right

Runner
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Exactly...I don't care HOW much the house is worth. Those homeowners made that money by not being stupid.

topsites
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
lol the best way to get work in high end areas is tell the customer first thing your 1500 an hour rate.

That just might be the answer I give to someone who just HAS to know my hourly rate in the future lol

topsites
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM

Please be aware the customer is TWICE as likely to try and pull a fast one on an employee (yes, even the crew leader) as compared to them doing it to the owner, and there are more than a few out there who don't think twice of trying to get over on me (and I'm an owner) so don't be surprised when customers start saying stuff, you likely have to take most of it with a grain of salt and just go with what your boss said and don't listen to them because they can and WILL get something for nothing every chance, it never ends.

Sorry to pull your chain on the hourly rate, but it was irresistible at the time.
Standard industry labor rate is around $60 pmh (per man / hour).

PMLAWN
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
As funny as this all is, one point is being missed. Your boss feels that a person with a big house or better paying job should be made to pay at a different rate than than another. An hourly rate should be the same to all, if not he is not a business man but a thief. Find another job. Southside Chicago should have many.

projunkracing
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
well i know now he is charging them 1200 a month for our services said the secertary when i talked to her this morn

topsites
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
well i know now he is charging them 1200 a month for our services said the secertary when i talked to her this morn

1200 a month all depends, it's not by the hour and may have to cover chems and mulch and who knows what else, thou I stand to agree with the guy who said this boss may be charging folks based on what they own or earn and I further agree that if this is the case, then he is no business man.

projunkracing
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
yeah this is the first place i have know the price on . but i sort of think he might be doing that but , all we do is mow trim edge there nothing else . The property owner wanted to see how we did before getting any other services provided.

RedWingsDet
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Mowing comes in at $2,100 per hour while landscape rolls in at the rate of $3,400 per hour, I thought I was low, little do I know!

topsites
05-09-2006, 01:58 AM
yeah this is the first place i have know the price on . but i sort of think he might be doing that but , all we do is mow trim edge there nothing else . The property owner wanted to see how we did before getting any other services provided.

You might keep your eyes open or just let it flow off your back, it's technically none of our business but again it might be a bad apple business but we just don't have enough details, I don't know.

But for reference, honestly and without pulling your leg, the standard industry rate really is around $60 per man / hour, and that does not include cost of materials such as mulch but it does cover gas and equipment and insurance and taxes and everything else, for the most part and as a guide.

If the guy's raking in close to a grand per man per hour, I am not sure what to think... But is the customer that uninformed? I dunno ...

projunkracing
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
yeah i getcha there for sure

jbone
05-09-2006, 08:43 AM
HEY What happened to my post!?!?!?!