PDA

View Full Version : PITA custromers

Dirty Water
05-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Time for a PITA customer thread :clapping:

We did a retrofit on a badly installed system last week, added some heads, moved some heads, replaced some valves.

Anyways, the owner would follow us around telling us dirty jokes and laughing at himself, it was really annoying.

On occasion, he'd pretend to be smart, when I was nozzling up the heads he started pulling GPM numbers out of his rear and telling me that I was overusing the amount of water etc.

Sometimes, you just want to look at them and ask them if they want a to install the system, or do they want a professional to do it.

Right before we leave, he tells us that he learned everything he knows about irrigation from Jesse Stryker at http://www.irrigationtutorials.com

While I think that Jesse Stryker is doing a great thing at that site, I'm mad at him for giving this PITA the confidence to think he knew what he was doing. :D

DanaMac
05-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh yes, the customer with a little knowledge. Gotta love 'em.

I absolutely love the ones that walk the whole yard with you "There's a sprinkler head here, and here, and over there, and there, and I think there's one here, and here, and here, and there in the corner,................." No **** lady, I'll see them when they all pop up, won't I. Your wasting my time and your money. Get back in the house and let me work.

DanaMac
05-07-2006, 09:36 AM
One guy called up yesterday saying that thing we replaced on the side of the house (bonnet for Febco PVB) is leaking because we screwed it in at an angle. And he can't get it out now. Uh, sorry. I did not thread it in at an angle. You froze the damn thing again and that is what happens. Use some damn muscle and some channel lock pliers you woosie. Then take it to Home Cheapo and get a new one.

I can't believe how helpless some people are. These must be the kids that were never curious, and did as their parents told them. Heck, try and start up the system on your own, Turn a few handles, close a couple drains, if water is spraying out of something - TRY CLOSING IT!!! What's the worst that can happen? They'll get wet? They'll have to call me to do it? Try it on your own. One new lady called and left a message yesterday about a start up. She needed it ASAP due to fert put down or something. She found us through our website, so I told her to use our draining instructions and try doing them backwards. She thought that was a great idea, if she can't get it, she would call back.

BSME
05-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Oh yes, the customer with a little knowledge. Gotta love 'em.

I absolutely love the ones that walk the whole yard with you "There's a sprinkler head here, and here, and over there, and there, and I think there's one here, and here, and here, and there in the corner,................." No **** lady, I'll see them when they all pop up, won't I. Your wasting my time and your money. Get back in the house and let me work.

oh that is the worst... I have a couple that have a self made map of their sprinkler heads (which is usually wrong) and they walk around with me telling me how many there should be on each zone...

jerryrwm
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Just let 'em talk. I can work and get the job done or I can listen and shoot the chit, but I don't do both at the same time. But the clock keeps ticking at $68.00/hr. As I said before, I'll drink coffee and chat as long as they want, but the clock still keeps running.

Wet_Boots
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah, when it looks like they want to lead me on the grand tour, I just smile and say "Why not? I charge by the hour."

julieblades
09-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I have been reading your posts. This site is too good for words. I even see Wetboots here, who I saw on sprinkler talk. You talk about the same irritating clients I have to deal with here in Barbados. They are sooooooooooooo annoying with their theories on gpm, etc. Anyway, I did advertise on Sprinkler talk for anyone who was interested in coming to Barbados for the winter season to work with us. Never got a cv from them....anyone still interested in a few months in "paradise" (parts are hard to find and you have to get inventive from time to time, but I manage). If you are serious please send me a cv.
happy sprinkling
julie

TriCountyLawn
09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Thats great stuff....

This year isnt too bad. I got one customer that needs a lock on his controller. About every other month I have to go staighten out the run times ect. And this guy loves to talk and show off his new homeowners tools and stuff. 3rd time I had to come out and I let him talk my ear off and I was there about a half a day setting a controller ect.

So I billed him .......

Customer - " This bill is outragous ! Do you charge your friends when you talk with them ? "

Me - " No friends can talk for free"

A few months later there lawn guy shut the backflow off cause run times were all jacked up. Repeate the process.

But on the otherside of the coin , I got a few customers that are WWII and few Vietnam vets and there a blast to talk with.

mojob
09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
One guy called up yesterday saying that thing we replaced on the side of the house (bonnet for Febco PVB) is leaking because we screwed it in at an angle. And he can't get it out now. Uh, sorry. I did not thread it in at an angle. You froze the damn thing again and that is what happens. Use some damn muscle and some channel lock pliers you woosie. Then take it to Home Cheapo and get a new one.

I can't believe how helpless some people are. These must be the kids that were never curious, and did as their parents told them. Heck, try and start up the system on your own, Turn a few handles, close a couple drains, if water is spraying out of something - TRY CLOSING IT!!! What's the worst that can happen? They'll get wet? They'll have to call me to do it? Try it on your own. One new lady called and left a message yesterday about a start up. She needed it ASAP due to fert put down or something. She found us through our website, so I told her to use our draining instructions and try doing them backwards. She thought that was a great idea, if she can't get it, she would call back.
I can't wait till I'm that well-off to turn easy money like that away. It's like saying, "why can't these lazy a$$ people cut their own damn grass". I'm jealous.

BSME
09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
if I remember correctly it was more about how Dana was booked three weeks out... not that he wouldn't do it for him if he wanted him to

DanaMac
09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
if I remember correctly it was more about how Dana was booked three weeks out... not that he wouldn't do it for him if he wanted him to

Yeah!! So there!! Take that!! Thanks for sticking up for me bro!!!

bicmudpuppy
09-28-2006, 12:36 AM
I have been reading your posts. This site is too good for words. I even see Wetboots here, who I saw on sprinkler talk. You talk about the same irritating clients I have to deal with here in Barbados. They are sooooooooooooo annoying with their theories on gpm, etc. Anyway, I did advertise on Sprinkler talk for anyone who was interested in coming to Barbados for the winter season to work with us. Never got a cv from them....anyone still interested in a few months in "paradise" (parts are hard to find and you have to get inventive from time to time, but I manage). If you are serious please send me a cv.
happy sprinkling
julie
Man, to not be incumbered by children or an obligation to a snow plow route........
Wonder what it would take to get grandma to baby sit for two months?
I'll be ready for spring by Jan 1 :)