PDA

View Full Version : Submersible Pumps in lakes

jirrigation
05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
The area which I'm weakest in with irrigation installation has always been submersible pumps in lakes. I can design a system no problem, install the electrical components, and have the system completely functional, but making it look pretty has always eluded me.

I was hoping that we could start a discussion on everything regarding pump installations in lakes.

http://www.ms-irrigation.qc.ca/Photo%20043.jpg

This I found on the internet today and it looked like a good pump sleeve. Since submersible pumps are desinged to work standing upright, I imagine the little tripod leg he used will increase the life expectancy a bit. Something he doesn't do which I have seen other people do is on the two inlets, install a T so you suck water from the sides instead of the top.

Wet_Boots
05-06-2006, 06:07 PM
This is a complete non-issue in parts of the United States, because electrical codes will not permit a lake installation of a submersible pump. I only do above-ground pumps, and have no worries about people in the water being electrocuted.

Dirty Water
05-06-2006, 06:10 PM
This is a complete non-issue in parts of the United States, because electrical codes will not permit a lake installation of a submersible pump. I only do above-ground pumps, and have no worries about people in the water being electrocuted.

Its allowed here, but for liability reasions we sub it out to a local pump co if we MUST use a submersable. Most of the time we use above ground pumps.

Which makes me want to start another thread.

koster_irrigation
05-07-2006, 08:09 AM
build a pump sled, and use those heat shrink wire splices & i like to use the black flex poly pipe to run into the lake in case the sled moves.

SWD
05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Some of the pump installations we do are centrifugal and others are vertical turbine submersibles. Depending of lift and watering requirements.
I will use centrifugal pumps when lifting less than 15'. Some of my turbine are lifting over 200'.
I use perforated well casing as a housing for the turbine pumps, set on a stand whose size is dependent upon lake bottom conditions.
To avoid repeated moving of the submersible pump, I extend well beyond historical low water levels then tether a buoy to the stand for later retrieval/service if necessary.

jirrigation
05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Since the lakes freeze where I am, I am forced to take out the pump every fall, then back in again in the spring. Trying to make something look professional while at the same time having to keep the removal of all parts take the least amount of time possible is the hard part. The filter, pressure relief valve have to come out and be put into the persons garage, the wire has to be cut, as well as the pipe so we can move the pump somewhere that the ice in the winter won't destroy it.

Have I mentioned yet that I hate going out in near freezing water in the spring, however the price we charge for spring openings with pumps usually keeps me doing them.