PDA

View Full Version : Mulching problems

Bolton
05-06-2006, 05:59 PM
This year, I use mulchers because governement contracts want it. At my own advice, it makes a real crappy job. Lawn is not cut equally. Do you have any tips for me? What we do wrong? We use Kubota ZD21-25 with 60" Prodeck.

lawnmaniac883
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Must be your mower man. Mulching offers the same if not better cut than side discharge for me.

JoeinJasper
05-06-2006, 08:08 PM
How often are you cutting? If you allow the grass to over grow then it won't do a good job.

ocelot27
05-06-2006, 08:17 PM
This year, I use mulchers because governement contracts want it. At my own advice, it makes a real crappy job. Lawn is not cut equally. Do you have any tips for me? What we do wrong? We use Kubota ZD21-25 with 60" Prodeck.

I agree - mulching blades don't cut nearly as well as high lifts - at least for this time of year. High lifts will almost always give the best most "manicured" cut in spring/early summer conditions and they stripe much better. Mulching blades just can't be pushed - can't take off too much, can't go too fast etc etc - F that - I stick with high lifts on my scag and always have perfect results. - john.

joeg2246
05-06-2006, 11:49 PM

I ordered my new Toro today, I pick it up next Saturday. I to am going to 100% mulching. I went with a Z560 - 52" deck and a 30HP Kohler. I am hoping this deck and engine combination along with the mulch kit will give me a great finished product. I was very concerned with bogging and grass blowout and I went through many hours of thought before deciding on the Toro. I am going to use the blades that come with the mulch kit, but, am not opposed to using high lift blades as one person mentioned.

Bolton
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Ok thx. May be we're running too fast. I cut grass every 10 days for the moment. I ordered another type of mulching kit. Hope this one will do a better job at fast speed.
Don't know for you, but for my part, the season is hard to start. Lot of problems with my equipement and my staff.:dizzy:

lawnboy dan
05-07-2006, 09:36 AM
2 words-gator blades

Likestomow
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM
... Do you have any tips for me? ...

Add a flat blade above each of your mulchers. Thats right, I said FLAT. It will be sharpened on four sides so you can turn it over when it dulls a bit.

The flat blade won't hardly take any more torque but it gives you two more cutting tips. You will see a big difference with one-pass mowing.