PDA

View Full Version : Ransom/Bobcat Fastcat?

Lynden-Jeff
05-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Are these mowers any good? I was thinking about a 52" 19 HP kawi vs a scag. Both are from tyhe same dealer and he said scag was better then bobcat but they where still good machines and easier to get parts for. This being said parst access is an important thing. I also like that they are cheaper then the scags (althought im definatly willing to pay for the scag if thats what I decide to go wit). Bobcats don't seem as popular as others but ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

ProStreetCamaro
05-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Bobcat over scag any day of the week.

cborden
05-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I have Bobcats and SCAGs, both are fine mowers and very trouble free machines.

Lynden-Jeff
05-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I was looking at the new "fast cats". I noticed they don't seem to have any anti scalp rollers (atleast on there website pics). Is this a major downside? I would think it is but maybe im wrong. Now I really have to rethink this!

Thanks guys and any more imput greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
I think the Fastcats are too new for anyone to be able to say yet...

But anyways, no way would I get a 19hp 52".
You need atleast 23hp on a 52".

This is why you will see these and similar HP ratio machines for sale all the time.

Lynden-Jeff
05-06-2006, 10:55 PM

This is why you will see these and similar HP ratio machines for sale all the time.
Hi,

Well if I got the fast cat I would get a 48 with 19 HP (biggest one they got for the fast cats) but ive been told that will not be to great for super wet/tall grass. I was thinking maybe the ZT-223 ZT-225 with a 52" deck. I really need to go back and talk prices with him to. I downloaded the spec sheet which contains the ZT 223 but the website doesnt show it. Maybe its discontinued?

Thanks
Jeff

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2006, 11:19 PM
OK, the ZT series I know something about...

As for the literature, it seems to always be screwed up. It's just a thing with them. I don't know if it is a literature issue, or if it is something they do with changing up production back and forth.

Personally, I happen to think Bobcat makes a nice BASIC ZTR. They seem to be good little no-frills machines. Nothing special and nothing over built. But not substandard either. Sometimes the price is not all that bad either.

I liked their ZT-227. Really nice quiet smooth driving machine.

But I think you should demo both the Scag and the Bobcat first if those are your only two choices.

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi,

Thanks. Are the parts on the bobcats still almost as good as scag? This will be my first ZTR and im trying to learn all I can before I invest the amount of money it will cost.

Thanks
Jeff

ProStreetCamaro
05-07-2006, 01:03 AM

I am with envy on the HP thing. 19 might not be enough for 52" mower. Our 48" lazer has a 18hp kohler and it has been plenty of power for over 2,600 hours so a 52" machine would need around 20 if its a kohler or 23 if its a kawi.

Envy Lawn Service
05-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi,

Thanks. Are the parts on the bobcats still almost as good as scag? This will be my first ZTR and im trying to learn all I can before I invest the amount of money it will cost.

Thanks
Jeff

Well, I have never had the opportunity to use a Scag. But from what I can see, Scag over builds their machines extra strong in some areas. That in a nutshell was what I was getting at about the Bobcats. With brands like Scag for example, things are done/built in excess... like tanks. While on the other hand, Bobcats are just a basic build, but still certainly adequately built for commercial use.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. Heck, Scag and Bobcat were designed by the same guy I think... Dane Scag. I'm just saying there are differences that will matter to some people and not matter to others. Some guys might have employees beating on their stuff and need certain things extra heavy duty, while other guys may have softer ground and be looking for a lighter build... And that goes on into other areas too, but you get the point I'm sure.

I think Bobcat has a nice package.

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys. I like how a lot of things come stock on the bobcat that don't on the scag. I mean the bobcats look like sturdy machines (dealer showed me them when I was there). I usually like to start off with the best but Im thinking for me bobcat might be.

Thanks!

Jeff

ThirdDay
05-07-2006, 01:24 PM
The new Fast Cat is more of a light duty, homeowner type mower from Bob-Cat to give them a less expensive mower.

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples! The Scag Tiger Cub would be a MUCH heavier dity machine with seperate pumps and wheel motors, heavier frame etc....

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2006, 01:29 PM
The new Fast Cat is more of a light duty, homeowner type mower from Bob-Cat to give them a less expensive mower.

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples! The Scag Tiger Cub would be a MUCH heavier dity machine with seperate pumps and wheel motors, heavier frame etc....

Hi,

Im actually considering the 200 series now. Maybe the 223 or 225.

Thanks
Jeff

Envy Lawn Service
05-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys. I like how a lot of things come stock on the bobcat that don't on the scag. I mean the bobcats look like sturdy machines (dealer showed me them when I was there). I usually like to start off with the best but Im thinking for me bobcat might be.

Thanks!

Jeff

Yeah, most of the ZT-200 series mowers come stock with that nice suspension seat.
That thing makes all the difference.

I think you are seeing them the same way I do.
A nicely packaged commercial duty machine.
Nothing over-done, nothing under-done.
Not built like a tank all over, but built just fine for commercial use.

Tharrell
05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
The 19/52 is going for about $6k right now. It's a really good mower and it has the suspension seat. To a point, hp is over rated. They all operate on hydraulics. I don't see the need for 25-30 and over engines except for "ego".
Yeah, those 27 Kohlers sound real nice, but do you REALLY need it? The pumps will operate only so fast.

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2006, 07:06 PM
The 19/52 is going for about $6k right now. It's a really good mower and it has the suspension seat. To a point, hp is over rated. They all operate on hydraulics. I don't see the need for 25-30 and over engines except for "ego".
Yeah, those 27 Kohlers sound real nice, but do you REALLY need it? The pumps will operate only so fast.

Well 6K will be atleast 9-10 in Canada. Do you mean the ZT-219 model. Do you really think 19 HP would be OK?

Thanks
Jeff

cborden
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
It takes horse power to run the hydro pumps and turn the blades. 19HP on a 48" or 52" walk behind is enough, but it is not enough on a ZTR. Just my opinion and experience. :weightlifter:

Lynden-Jeff
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
It takes horse power to run the hydro pumps and turn the blades. 19HP on a 48" or 52" walk behind is enough, but it is not enough on a ZTR. Just my opinion and experience. :weightlifter:

Hi,

Ya i'm going think I will shoot for a 20 or 23 HP kawi or go with a 48 inch deck if I need to get a 19.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
05-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Well went to the dealership today and the 23 HP kawi with 52" deck is $10500 CDN. I think this would be perfect but the guy said that the only time you would notice a lack in power with the 19 HP is if you put on the blower. The price difference is about $800 cheaper but I think for $800 its worth it to go with a 23.

Tanks
Jeff

Nes-Tech
05-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Have you looked into the Hustler Line Up? The dealer network in Canada is growing steady. What part of "Canada" are you from?

Mowerboy04
05-10-2006, 01:42 PM

i have the bob-cat 219 ztr which is the 52in deck and a 19hp mower no problems never had it bog down or anything
alex

Envy Lawn Service
05-11-2006, 12:25 AM
i have the bob-cat 219 ztr which is the 52in deck and a 19hp mower no problems never had it bog down or anything
alex

What are you cutting though? And how fast?

I have 23hp on my 52" and it is a hoss... plenty of power for side discharge.
But I can hear the govenor engage regularly and if I push it hard I can make the RPM drop off.

What I'm saying I guess is that for easy cutting its PLENTY. Cutting spring growth uphill, I can feel the limitations... and they show in fuel consumption too. So plenty of everyday power for side discharge, but I wouldn't want less.