PDA

View Full Version : 92 f350 starter

cajuncutter
05-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Here lately my truck has not been wanting to start. I think the problem is my starter. When I first got the truck the starter turned over super fast. Now it starts off slow. I then go to crank a second time and the speed picks up a bit. Then the third try it screams and the truck starts with no problem. I assume that since diesles fire off compression and not spark that you need to turn over pretty fast for the fuel to combust. Has any one had this problem? Slow starter at first them picks up speed. I have 2 new batteries with plenty of cranking amps and the weather is warm here.
Thanx
Louis

John DiMartino
05-17-2001, 10:43 PM
You can have a starter draw test done by a shop,this should confirm you do need a starter.Just be sure all your connections are tight,and clean,this will make starters act funny too.On diesels with high miles,its common for leaking rear seals to allow oil into the starter motor,which eventually kills it.Ive seen this on tired 6.2' GM's.

cajuncutter
05-17-2001, 11:28 PM
My diesle is a little tired...she has 238000 miles on her..some say they are broken in at that milage others would say they are getting worn out...oil changes have been regular and maintained well..however I do have leaky valve covers not rear main..the starter does have a good bit of oil on it which leads me to believe the magneto might have a good coat on it...we are doing the covers sunday and will pull the starter and do a visual inspection..perhapse go get one of those good ole DONTlast starters from crapzone...I figure this will be best since it does come with lifetime warrenty and the truck gets started an average of 15 times a day...I hear that this things do not like to be kicked over that much and these starters are a bit pricey...any experience with the autozone junk? thanx for your input