PDA

View Full Version : Computer Program for plant types...

palawnman
05-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I tried to use the search fucntion but I couldnt come up with anything so I figured that I would ask...My knowledge of plant types are not as good as I want it to be. Is there any computer program out there that has a good database of plants...something that I could type in the kind of plant conditions that I would be planting in (sun, shade etc) and it would give me a list of plants. I know that there are books out there that are filled with diff types of plants, but I thought that a computer program would be more efficient. Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

Ron

AGLA
05-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure if there are any set up as database that you can query. You might want to consider actually making one yourself from your reference books. The reason why I say that is that you will not only build that usable database, but you will be burning a lot of information into your brain at the same time.

Most computers have msworks which has a database program in it. If you set up a column for the plant name, zone, light conditions, moisture, pH, soil type, form, size, color, texture, price, ..., you can isolate the ones that match your criteria.

I have not done this for the purpose you describe, but I did it to track plants from plans through installation. It was pretty simple, but worked very well.

palawnman
05-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I think thats what I am going to have to try to do. I have already started like that, but I wasnt sure if I was wasting my time and there was already something like it that I could just buy, and then study from. Thanks again.

Ron

Dreams To Designs
05-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Ron, check out this software. It will help you in your search but is not infallible. You still need to have extensive horticultural knowledge to be better than the rest. This will give you lists for many of the cultural aspects you can provide, such as sun exposure, soil type, ph, trees, shrubs or perennials. You can also get specific as with bloom times, flower colors, fruit type and many other attributes. It is a program, I, as a designer use daily.

http://horticopia.com/

Kirk

Mike33
05-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Take Kirks advise, he will not steer you wrong! I started off this season with pro landscaping 12 and to his advise i bought horticopa, its like talking to some one at the nursery full of information and pics.

Mike

palawnman
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, it is very much appreciated. This area is one of my biggest weaknesses (for now I hope). I am just trying to really be as comfortable at it as possible. I will hopefully be taking classes during the winter to further my education with plants, etc. Thanks again.

Ron

barefootlawnsandlandscape
05-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Another for basic info. and pics is monrovia.com

MDScpr
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/269905a1fb059eb48825683c0080938a/$searchForm?SearchView