PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Progress Pics II

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 10:16 PM
alright, here we were on friday evening:

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Here is where we left off tonight, all four walls up, not yet fully secured but up!! In case you cant tell, the door is on the other side of the tree so you can't see the opening, it will hide the door for both astethtics (mom wants it like this) and will hopefully increase the security of it by making it look inaccessable. We have settled on a custom roll up door we are having made, can't wait to get it!

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Tomarrow and mondays work- the roof!!!

jmurphy
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Lookin good Mike!!!!:weightlifter:

qualitylawnmanagement
05-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Looks nice mike!

sheshovel
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Yea it's gonna be great when you get done.Are you going to hand stack the roof or have trusses?

MMLawn
05-06-2006, 11:04 PM
It's too late now. But you would have liked the door on the "long end" (your 15' side) versus on the "short side" (your 12' side) as you would have had more/longer room to get equipment in/out and parked. Everyone I have ever built I did it that way and really liked it versus the standard of on the side.

Good work there though young man in any event. :clapping:

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Yea it's gonna be great when you get done.Are you going to hand stack the roof or have trusses?
Everything has been and is going to be built from scratch

MMLawn, i wanted to but it wouldn't have worked with the trampoline right there. Thank you very much for the kind words, im having a blast building this thing!

sheshovel
05-06-2006, 11:10 PM
That's not what I ment but OK.

mcwlandscaping
05-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Could you explain a bit, ide like to know what you mean, i probably do, just not in that terminology. I know what trusses are but dont' know what hand stacked is, the way we are building is similar to trusses.

br549oicu8
05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Be sure to use headers and cripples on any window/door opening. Code would require it, especially on bearing walls. Also be sure to use a double top plate and lap the corners.
Need pics??? I have some from my shop going up if you need help.

You can email me..

brodgers@firstcity.org
I am a Building Inspector also and glad to help!

sheshovel
05-06-2006, 11:50 PM
The man above can explain it much better than I.
A building inspector........huh

mcwlandscaping
05-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Roof started today, should be finished that by wednesday.

Newbie07
05-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey mike, looking good and br549oicu8 nailed it right on the head, please double plate the top and overlap the corners, makes a huge difference. Looks like you got headers in, thats good. Also, consider doing 2x4's in between the studs down at the bottom. That helps a lot too!!! Lookin good dude, im guessing your doing roll on roofing??? the kind that you heat up with a torch and then lay on. That'd be nice.

Travis

zim bob the landscaper
05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
lookin good mike.

Lynch Landscaping
05-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Mike that is so sweet I want to do something like that too, My shop is very nice just need some thing bigger.

br549oicu8
05-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes sheshovel..Building Inspector for the City since 1979. Started the lawn care business in 81 and it has grown to over 350 customers. Keep the City job for benefits and retirement and the lawn business for the future of my son (29) and something to do after retirment..chase the crews around!!
My crew leaders are mature enough to run everything they need without my constant supervision.:cool2:

South Florida Lawns
05-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Looking good homie.

Thats bigger and nicer than my house.

I'll bet you will be happy to have a space of your own.

mcwlandscaping
05-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks SFL, thats for sure, all of the pool stuff goes up on the loft and all the tools get organized on racks and shelves that will be built. No progress today, i had to cut 5 lawns after school then go get wood for trailer mods. No progress tomarrow either as ive got another 5 lawns to fit in!! I won't cut on wednesday to some shop progress goin!!

Yes, all the walls have a double top plate on them, Travis(newbie07) what is roll on roofing??lol. we shingle roofs up here!!

Newbie07
05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Nothing done today because I did 5 yards and tomorrow ive got 5 yards and the next day ive got 10 yards and the next day....................Down here in Texas I did 2 yards today and one tomorrow. Thats all my yards!!!! the next days will be spent door to door (:waving: hi my name is Travis Whitlock and I have a lawn care busin......(door slams).............:confused: oh ummm....ok well I'm sorry to waste your time) That's how my luck has been LMAO :laugh: Man osrry to jack your thread for my complaining but you whipping my butt. Glad you double plated that helps mucho. As far as roll on roofing, you heat it up with blow torch and then it sticks to the plywood REALLY well. Only use it on sheds and stuff so i thought you might be using that. Anyway, sorry bout the long post, its lookin good, ttyl

mcwlandscaping
05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
UPDATE FOR 5/10/06- roof framing is almost complete, tomarrow we should be able to finish the roof framing and complete the loft, friday and saturday we will put up all the sheathing, and hopefully suday roof the place

FearThisDeere
05-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Shouldn't you be in school?!?!:laugh: I can't wait to see the finnished product!

scott's turf
05-11-2006, 08:05 AM
UPDATE FOR 5/10/06- roof framing is almost complete, tomarrow we should be able to finish the roof framing and complete the loft, friday and saturday we will put up all the sheathing, and hopefully suday roof the place

Looking good. I live right next door in Brookline. Nashua did not require footings past the frost line there? Our town requires it on any structre larger than 120 sq ft I believe.

br549oicu8
05-11-2006, 08:43 AM
The 120 square foot rule usually is the max size you can construct without a permit. The Uniform Building Code gives the jurusdiction the choice to waive footing requirements for structures up to 400 square feet if it is an incidental use structure. This small shed would fit into that category. Hopefully all of that was secured prior to starting this project.

Buddy

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Shouldn't you be in school?!?!:laugh: I can't wait to see the finnished product!
I work on this from the second i get home, around working, then till it gets too dark to see, then we break out the big halogen flood lights, the work till we are too tired, im having a blast with this thing!! Having the roof almost done really brings the project together!!

I love geometry class, finish my quiz and get on here for the rest of the period!!

MMLawn
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
:sleeping: The 120 square foot rule usually is the max size you can construct without a permit. The Uniform Building Code gives the jurusdiction the choice to waive footing requirements for structures up to 400 square feet if it is an incidental use structure. This small shed would fit into that category. Hopefully all of that was secured prior to starting this project.

Buddy

STOP being such a freakin bully!! This is like the 3rd time you inserted your "legal" requirements into this thread when nobody even ask you for them. Big friggin deal that you are a local building inspector where you live thousands of miles away from this young man! :sleeping: Who cares! This hard working young man is building himself a storage building in his familes backyard for his personal use not some large building open to the public and so what if they don't have a permit or aren't building it to UBC specs, which BTW you don't know that they aren't!! Shoot, as you very well know Mr. Inspector, 8 out of every 10 backyard storage buildings built in America (and yes in KS right there where you are, too) are done "illegally" so lay of the dude.

br549oicu8
05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
As you have done in the past "Mr. M&M".. you attempt to make things personal. I have seen many illegal structures forced to be removed due to illegal or subpar construction. So you fault me for attempting to give good sound advice to a young person?? Would you think it is "just" to know and not say??
It is obvious you don't know.
I personally prefer to "help" vs. hinder like you always do. I have read your posts for quite some time noting you are always sarcastic. Is it possible for you to be constructive instead of destructive????

FearThisDeere
05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=mcwlandscaping]I im having a blast with this thing!! Having the roof almost done really brings the project together!!QUOTE]
I am glad you are having fun while getting some great work done let alone a great learning experience!:drinkup:

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Finished roof rafters and finished loft joists a few moments ago, just need to add end supports, frame in the gable end vents and the roofing starts probably tomarrow evening! New pics in a couple minutes

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 07:25 PM
pic one.............

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
pic two...........

mkwl
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Looks good Mike!:) I dunno how much you're going to get done htis weekend though, it's supposed to rain everyday until Monday :angry: .

qualitylawnmanagement
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Looks good mike:clapping: , Bet you can't wait to fill that with all your toys.

br549oicu8
05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Looks like you are doing a fine job there. Maybe you can moonlight as a framer!!! hahahaha

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Looks like you are doing a fine job there. Maybe you can moonlight as a framer!!! hahahaha
Thanks..... dad and i built our house too, along with helping my uncle build his house.

MMLawn
05-11-2006, 08:57 PM
GREAT job young man!

jmurphy
05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Awesome job!!!

J&R Landscaping
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Looks like your making good progress! To bad this weekend couldn't be better!

ALarsh
05-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Nice work. Brings back memories of when we built our garage at my parent's cabin. Me, my dad, a contractor for help and some family friends, we were able to finish in 2 days. Here are some pics of the work.

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/115_1568.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/115_1583.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/115_1588.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/115_1595.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/116_1607.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/116_1618.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/116_1630.jpg

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/116_1638.JPG

http://cclawnservice.com/Personal/Cabin%20Garage/116_1642.jpg

Still had to stain but you get the idea. We just redid the roof that the tripod was taking the pictures on. I set the camera to take a picture every 30 minutes so it made a neat slide show (I took out some pictures, it didn't take us 4.5 hrs).

mcwlandscaping
05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
That sure looks like a lot of fun!! and those pre fabed trusses must have saved a ton of time

rfed32
05-11-2006, 11:34 PM
looks good mcw...wish my parents would let me build one in my back yard...i have to rent a gerage....but looking good...keep posting pics

Brianslawn
05-11-2006, 11:55 PM
youre dad is a very good carpenter mike. everything is just like i would do.

zim bob the landscaper
05-12-2006, 09:15 AM
looks good mike i cant wait to see it with all your equiptment in it.

mcwlandscaping
05-13-2006, 12:56 PM
We tarped off the entire thing because of the rain, unfortunatly, we can't work on it in the rain, this is going to be a big setback

marty_p
05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Mike:

What are your planning for the interior walls?
"Slatwall" is a great idea, but VERY $$$
I've got a 12'x16' in the planning stage right now, and would like your opinion!

marty_p

FearThisDeere
05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Mike, did it float away?!?

mcwlandscaping
05-17-2006, 08:26 PM
well, i was behind about 15 lawns so i got 9 of them done today after school, doesnt look like ill be back on the shop until friday. We have the exterior sheething, its like T1-11 but a little different, thats what we are using on the exterior.

mcwlandscaping
05-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Mike:

What are your planning for the interior walls?
"Slatwall" is a great idea, but VERY $$$
I've got a 12'x16' in the planning stage right now, and would like your opinion!

marty_p
I will get some pics of the stuff we are using for the exterior tomarrow, $20 a sheet, pretty decent stuff it seems. Ill post those pics tomarrow evening

mcwlandscaping
05-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Work will begin again later tonight, i have two lawns to do really quick and then im back on working on the shop, can't wait, great finally having it stop raining!!! Ill get pics of todays progress

mcwlandscaping
05-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Siding has started, im guessing about 1/3 done with that. It was too dark to get any good pics so ill get some before we continue tomarrow and then after tomarrows progress.