PDA

View Full Version : trimming tips

ajordan193
05-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Anyone got any tips on shrub trimming. I know practice makes perfect...but some things are easy to trim and others i just look at and think **** how do i trim that. How does everyone do it soo easy?

-Andrew

KINGjosh
05-06-2006, 11:38 PM
what just shrubs in general or a particular shrub?

To many variables in your question

sheshovel
05-07-2006, 12:01 AM
This is where a little knolege goes a long way..learn your shrubs and learn when and how they bloom and you will learn what needs trimming ,how and when.Invest in a good plant book that explaines the different types of shrubs and how to prune them.
I suggest The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants.

jameson
05-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Anyone got any tips on shrub trimming. I know practice makes perfect...but some things are easy to trim and others i just look at and think **** how do i trim that. How does everyone do it soo easy?

-Andrew

Andrew

I suggest taking a pruning course at your local communtiy college or vocational school, a little knowledge will take you a long way.

'Trimming' to most folk (Joe Homeowner or 'professional') is pulling out the power shears and shaping the plant into some gawd-awful unnatural edward scissorhandsesque abomination aka 'Shear Madness'.

Knowing when and how to prune and what tools to use when pruning is invaluable. A good pair of secateurs will take you farther than hand shears, power or otherwise.

James

ajordan193
05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
thanks for the info. I'm going to purchase The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants asap. I'm still new to the whole landscaping aspect, cutting is a breeze. just trying to expand my business to other opportunities. I will have to look into that class you mentioned. Thanks again

-Andrew