PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these for sleeve installs

Harry0
05-06-2006, 11:56 PM
http://sidewalksleever.com/
Bought one and am dying to try it. Anyone else have one?
Harry

Dirty Water
05-07-2006, 12:21 AM
We have lots and lots of rock here.

I don't think it would work well.

I could see it working in loamier soils, or sand.

koster_irrigation
05-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I saw that in a magazine the other day & i thought about buying it. The only problem i saw with it in the picture i thought it should be about a foot longer some sidewalks vary in width.

jcom
05-08-2006, 12:15 AM
WHAT A ROYAL PITA THAT SETUP WOULD BE. BORE THE JOB AND BE DONE WITH IT. INVEST YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER. A BORE WITH OUR 255SX TAKES FIVE MINUTES, TOPS. AND NO SLEDGEHAMMER!!!!

JOHN:dancing:

VWBOBD
05-19-2006, 04:45 AM
WHAT A ROYAL PITA THAT SETUP WOULD BE. BORE THE JOB AND BE DONE WITH IT. INVEST YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER. A BORE WITH OUR 255SX TAKES FIVE MINUTES, TOPS. AND NO SLEDGEHAMMER!!!!

JOHN:dancing:

BOY ARE YOU WRONG, I WILL CHALLENGE YOU TO BORE UNDER A SIDE WALK QUICKER THAN I CAN GET THROUGH WITH THIS BAD ASS TOOL
, I GET THROUGH WITH ABOUT 3 SMACKS OF THE HAMMER. YOU WOULDNT EVEN HAVE THE HOSE HOOKED TO THE BORER AND ID BE DRINKING A COLD ONE. YOU SHOULD TRY ONE BEFORE POSTING AN ASININE RESPONSE LIKE THAT. IVE USED BOTH MANY MANY TIMES AND THIS TOOL IS BY FAR THE BEST FOR SIDEWALKS

Green Sweep
05-19-2006, 06:00 AM
I dig until I am below the gravel & then, using a sledge hammer, pound my digging bar through to create a hole. It usually only takes a couple of whacks. Because of the heavy clay here, its easy. We use the bore for driveways. Too much hassle, & too time consuming to bore every sidewalk. I'd rather have the machine pulling pipe.

Rob

PurpHaze
05-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Me thinks that Beavis and Butthead is a troll. :dancing:

Most of our walks are wide and most of what would be going under them is larger than what you'd want to pound.

VWBOBD
05-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Me thinks that Beavis and Butthead is a troll. :dancing:

Most of our walks are wide and most of what would be going under them is larger than what you'd want to pound.

:cry: YOUD HURT MY FEELINGS WITH THAT........IF I HAD ANY FEELINGS

phototropic1
05-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Why do all the work preparing for a bore and only put in a 1" sleeve. If you glue on to the pipe, like the ad says, then it is not a sleeve. It is simply your pipe. I suppose this tool would be helpful if you had to reach a tiny area on the other side of the sidewalk that required running no more than 3/4" pipe and no wires to. I do know you can run more than one of these, but in some cases that would still be inadequate.
How much does it cost? It could come in handy in those situations (for me, few) in which all you needed was a 1" sleeve.

MarcSmith
05-21-2006, 09:35 AM
it is 113 bucks....and in all honesty it looks like a big tent peg you'd see at the fair grounds holding the ropes for the circus tent... when I lived in Florida, I used a hose and pipe and "washed" my sleeves under the sidewalks and driveways....

if you really want one of those Sleeve stakes. go here http://www.hogantentstakes.com/catalog/25 and save yourself about a hundred bucks....and if you already spent 113 bucks on one....don't you feel like you wasted money now....:)

I woudl also think if you had a rocky soil, you might nick up or damage the leading edge of the pipe too much to be able to glue on a good fitting...

DanaMac
05-21-2006, 09:43 AM
it is 113 bucks....and in all honesty it looks like a big tent peg you'd see at the fair grounds holding the ropes for the circus tent... when I lived in Florida, I used a hose and pipe and "washed" my sleeves under the sidewalks and driveways....

I always used the hose and stream nozle idea as well, and it worked fine. Even worked in rocky areas, but took a little longer.

MarcSmith
05-21-2006, 09:50 AM
and the bonus was on a hot summer day you got cooled off...:)

DanaMac
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
and the bonus was on a hot summer day you got cooled off...:)

Hot summer days - I'm running through the sprinklers all day everyday cooling off. Or else freezing my butt off in March and April. Even early May.

PurpHaze
05-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Perhaps the two companies are related? After all... circuses and carnivals are folding all the time. Maybe someone found a way to rid themselves of these stakes? :laugh:

Harry0
05-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I used it the other day to go through a 6 ft walkway. It worked great but I still had to flush out the line because the last 12 inches became filled with soil. On a 3-4 ft it will work great. I was through in 2 minutes with minimum digging on one side and in the trench on the other. I don't regret buying it and will be using it regularly.
Harry

PurpHaze
05-21-2006, 10:10 PM
That's good to hear. It probably has it's capabilities especially where small pipe diameters under short distances are concerned. :clapping:

ESprinklers
05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
If a couple of people would like to try one out, I will sell two of them at our cost so that they can be evaluated and a product rating given. Please email me for more information.

jcom
05-23-2006, 10:37 PM
BOY ARE YOU WRONG, I WILL CHALLENGE YOU TO BORE UNDER A SIDE WALK QUICKER THAN I CAN GET THROUGH WITH THIS BAD ASS TOOL
, I GET THROUGH WITH ABOUT 3 SMACKS OF THE HAMMER. YOU WOULDNT EVEN HAVE THE HOSE HOOKED TO THE BORER AND ID BE DRINKING A COLD ONE. YOU SHOULD TRY ONE BEFORE POSTING AN ASININE RESPONSE LIKE THAT. IVE USED BOTH MANY MANY TIMES AND THIS TOOL IS BY FAR THE BEST FOR SIDEWALKS

Asinine reply you say?? :rolleyes: ;) By the time you dig your prep trenches and smack it twice or whatever, I would be through. We do not hook up any hoses to our boring unit as it is integral. Put the bit and rod in (30 seconds) and bore for a minute. Knock yourself out with the sledge. I will bore anytime.

John:walking: :walking:

VWBOBD
05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Asinine reply you say?? :rolleyes: ;) By the time you dig your prep trenches and smack it twice or whatever, I would be through. We do not hook up any hoses to our boring unit as it is integral. Put the bit and rod in (30 seconds) and bore for a minute. Knock yourself out with the sledge. I will bore anytime.

John:walking: :walking:

you wouldnt even have it unloaded and id be through:weightlifter:

jerryrwm
05-26-2006, 01:25 AM
On smaller sidewalks and using 1" pipe, I'd agree with you on the speed thing. But when you get into the larger size Mainline - 11/4" and up, or trying to get a line and wires under a 12' - 16' driveway you are going to be scratching your head and heading off to the rental place to get that boring attachment.

Personnaly I try not to bore anything if I can get away with it, but I sure am glad to have it available when it's needed.

But that's just me. I guess y'all do things a bit differently in Gawja.

bicmudpuppy
05-26-2006, 08:44 AM
On smaller sidewalks and using 1" pipe, I'd agree with you on the speed thing. But when you get into the larger size Mainline - 11/4" and up, or trying to get a line and wires under a 12' - 16' driveway you are going to be scratching your head and heading off to the rental place to get that boring attachment.

Personnaly I try not to bore anything if I can get away with it, but I sure am glad to have it available when it's needed.

They do lots of things different down in Peachy Country. But those boys are experts! Right down to definitive experts in Stagnant pressure!

VWBOBD
05-26-2006, 08:21 PM

Oh i totally agree, im just sayin' that boring under a little walkway with this tool is the way to go, and it stores in the toolbox of your truck. Anything over 4 ft or so I bore too.

VWBOBD
05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
They do lots of things different down in Peachy Country. But those boys are experts! Right down to definitive experts in Stagnant pressure!

who is it that was asking about stagnant pressure? wasnt me. Us country folks have awesome pressure, less people useing the service line out here in the sticks