PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in the Junipers...

topsites
05-07-2006, 11:20 AM
This has been a challenge of mine for which I have found no easy solution (really no solution) in close to 5 years. For a refresher, there are different varieties of this plant but I'm talking about the horizontal kind, the closest I could find was this one (which is in the wild) but a lot of folks here in virginia have this in their yard, anyway here's a pic:
http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/images/juniper%20glen%20affric2.jpg (the green stuff, above the dead tree).

Basically it's a ground-spreading type of a fir tree, for lack of better words... Horizontal junipers, that's the best I can call it.

My problem is when weeds start to grow through them, I'm not talking about your odd stalk that I can just pull out, but when they about take over the entire area just gets infested with weeds... I can't deal with it, I mean pulling them by hand is a ridiculous time-waster because it's so embedded in the plant it rips and tears the weeds and a week later it's back as if never touched, nevermind thorny weeds.

Surely there exists some time-saving solution to getting rid of pesky weeds out of horizontal juniper bushes, and no, tough as the juniper is to handle, it is not tough enough to resist even a light concentration of round-up, so that doesn't work.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

sheshovel
05-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Trim the lower branches enough where you can get under them with a Hula-Hoe and hoe them out.

Dirty Water
05-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I despise junipers. The weeds are pain, they are ugly, and their enourmous root system makes it a nightmare to work around them.

Tharrell
05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I have a long patch that gets various weeds in it. I just run the trimmer over the top. It lasts a month or so and I'll do it again. I'd be interested in an over the top weed killer for this.

LandscapePro
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Image and Post can both be used over the top of junipers. Add a wee bit of wesson oil, but be careful when temps get into the mid 80's.

Make sure to have a current commercial applicators license before doing any chemical work though. The fines aren't cheap in the least.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

J&R
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Apply Over the Top. Lesco has it. ONLY if you have a App Lic.

topsites
05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm mildly interested in the Image / Post controls but since I don't have a license, it is only legal for me to use it so long I perform the service at no charge and even then it may be questionable due to its nature, I dunno and I'm leery of taking chances with the law... Furthermore, Image / Post is not cheap.

I did a search on google and came up with this interesting article about vinegar as weed control, would this work?
Here's the article:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0613592720186.html?7

sheshovel
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Yea if you want to kill the Junipers also it would work fine.

topsites
05-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Yea if you want to kill the Junipers also it would work fine.

Ok lol then the next thing I might try is to paint the stuff being careful not to get it on the plant, that should work.
A bit time consuming but I can handle that better than cultivating the crap.

Let-it-mow!
05-08-2006, 06:05 AM
I grew up on a nursery where we grew acres of spreading jumipers.

We would reach around the plants with our arms (long sleeves) and pull all the branches up and tie them together with nylon twine. Takes about a minute per plant.

You then have access to the ground and can spray whatever you want. But don't let the branches down until the chemical is gone.

And be sure to add a premergent like surflan so the weeds don't come back for a while.

Larry Davis
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem you are talking about. Around here we call it "ground juniper". It does make a very nice low growing ground cover. One of my cabins has a large area with this and about 3 years ago all of a sudden this thick growing tall thin grass type of weed started coming up amongst the juniper. Never had this problem before. It was like someone had come along and threw a bunch of weed seeds. They get so thick they block the sun light and the juniper starts dying out. Like you said, they are very easy to pull up but there are so many and within a week or two they are all back again. I can't remember which forum but somewhere on this site this problem was mentioned before and one of the landscapers said to use a product called "Fusilade". He said it would kill the weeds and not hurt the juniper. This stuff is not cheap. A quart cost me $65.00. I have not tried it yet but will be soon. I'll try it on a small area first and will let you know if the juniper suffers any ill effects.

lucky4511
05-12-2006, 05:55 AM
lontril works very well for this also...kills very difficult to control weeds in ground cover and shrubs