PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping drainage ditch help

Killswitch
05-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Have a client that wants a bid for some 2 inch cobblestone in a strip along the bottom of the drainage dtich out front. Its a high end sub....some have it some dont, but this one needs it.

Its 75 feet long, both sides of the drive, and I figure it needs to be four feet wide.

Any ideas for decorating around the culvert pipes, and should the sod be cut out of this strip?

tylermckee
05-08-2006, 04:24 AM
I would remove or kill the sod, maybe lay down fabric to keep the rock from being lost in the soil. Around the pipe you can just build a rock headwall around the pipe.

Travel'n Trees
05-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Save the weed mat use black 6 mil plastic avoid the weeds, build walls about 3 to 4 feet out and backfill and do a planting bed.

AGLA
05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
If this is a high end subdivision and it has drainage ditches, it may be that the ditches are required to be grass. This is a new "best management practice" that is being touted for water quality. You should check with the town or city to find that out.

The idea is that the grass uses up excess nutrients before the water enters the aquifer or a water body.

Killswitch
05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
I figured Id have to check with the city for regulations on this one....good call. I like the idea of a little softscape around the pipe openings....The buildr tossed two 150 pound boulders at the opening of one of them that I need to remove and thats the biggest part of the job right now....I may borrow a contractor from a house or three being built with a loader or bobcat and buy lunch....hell I dunno.

Half the houses in the sub have it done for asthetics really even though I dont like the way it looks....those areas are always soaked with runoff and look like junk.

Cutting out the sod will be a cleaner install but a hella job and doubles the price.....I dont even want to do it. So.....I'll roundup and scythe the strip carefully, scalp the nuggies out of it with my hand mower and trimmmer settling it down, then install stone and roundup as needed.

Removing the sod seems the best way to do it and make it a clean install but cutting that sod from that radiused muck would never work.