PDA

View Full Version : To much noise from pipes.

landscape guy
05-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I just finished a simple install 2 zone , but the water pressure is 85psi due to city installing to large a main a few years ago, the customer has had things like hot water tank burst from to much psi. But my problem is when its running on the zone with 6 pro sprays you here lots of water flow noise from pipes in basement , you can here from main floor of house , i was wondering if the gate valve i installed in the basement could cause a turbulence in the pipe.

Flow Control
05-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I just finished a simple install 2 zone , but the water pressure is 85psi due to city installing to large a main a few years ago, the customer has had things like hot water tank burst from to much psi. But my problem is when its running on the zone with 6 pro sprays you here lots of water flow noise from pipes in basement , you can here from main floor of house , i was wondering if the gate valve i installed in the basement could cause a turbulence in the pipe.

You can hear the pipes when the zone is pressuring up or just the entire time the zone is running?

landscape guy
05-07-2006, 09:39 PM
the entire time its running.

Dirty Water
05-07-2006, 09:54 PM
The water velocity is too high in FPS. Where and how did you make your tap?

landscape guy
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
i mounted the gate valve in the basement a few inches from where i hooked up , i even tried running the system with the gate valve partialy closed but the same .

Dirty Water
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Is there a Pressure reducing valve on the house or sprinkler system? 85 PSI is way high for a regular residential system.

What size is the service line in the basement? How many GPM are you using in each zone?

Flow Control
05-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Listen at the meter to see if the meter is loud and might need to be replaced.

landscape guy
05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
the service line feeding the meter is 1", the meter is not the noise,there is pressure regultors on the furnace and hot water tank,but not the rest of the house.

SprinklerGuy
05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Install one for your sprinkler system, regulator that is.

while you are at it and have the pipe cut for your connection, replace that gate valve w/ a full port ball valve....somebody will thank me (you?) in the future.