PDA

View Full Version : can you handle it?

mike lane lawn care
05-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I have a friend/teacher/fellow landscpaer who's wife is expecting their baby in june (the prime growing season), and he wants me to take over his 30 lawns for a week or two, i told him yes, but my schedule is full as it is. how would you handle this? would you make arrangements with some of the accounts to mow on the weekends, as they will probably understand the situation?

topsites
05-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a friend/teacher/fellow landscpaer who's wife is expecting their baby in june (the prime growing season), and he wants me to take over his 30 lawns for a week or two, i told him yes, but my schedule is full as it is. how would you handle this? would you make arrangements with some of the accounts to mow on the weekends, as they will probably understand the situation?

Yes, but your friend needs to call each and every customer of his to explain the situation and he needs to pave the road for you, so to speak. Once that is done, most anything you do that has been explained to the customer should be acceptable.

ALarsh
05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Try and hire a friend or someone to help you during those weeks.

HOOLIE
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
You need to learn to say "No"...you're schedule is already full and now you're wondering how to fit this all in? Shoulda said no... Let your buddy worry about his own lawns.

sheshovel
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I agree with Hoolie..now your gonna half to deal with it or cancel your arrangement with him NOW.So he can find someone else.

Freddy_Kruger
05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Can you make money? Can you borrow his equipment and his employee or can you get a spare guy for a day or two? I would think about it if I could make money. If you're working by yourself that is a heavy load.

mike lane lawn care
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
i can't cancel, and i won't but i have been thinking about borrowing my dad's friend's large landscape trailer (he only uses it in the fall and winter) and hiring one of my reliable friends and bringing two of everything with me and then i should be able to handle it. but my clients come first and his get molded around my schedule.

until July 2, (the day i get my lisence) i can't use the truck sunday, monday, and tuesday, so this could be a squeeze, especialy being in school.

cwlawley
05-08-2006, 01:54 AM
^That's what I can do. Plus, you'll never know if you'll need a favor one day.

topsites
05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
What you can do and I might recommend this to stretch your between-cut days by 2 or 3 is to lower your deck cut height by one notch (but not more), this will give you some extra room. I have done this when I got desperately busy and it is a cheat that allowed me to get caught up but there are drawbacks:
- It will be easier to scalp certain spots, you will have to be careful for a bit until you get used to the lower cut.
- The first cut is the hardest due to more grass clippings, it can take slightly longer.
- Once you're all caught up, don't forget to change it back (which likely you will) or you will end up in a situation where nothing needs cutting, frustrated at yourself or me for having taken this advice. Likely, once you're all caught up you will be standing there one day scratching your head, wondering why nothing needs cutting until all of a sudden it dawns on you that your cut was lowered, but it does work.

PMLAWN
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Don't worry about it, After spending one day at home with the screaming baby and the postpartum wife he will be very happy to get out and cut grass again!:laugh: